Anyone here familiar with the ROLAND M-1000 Digtal Mixer?

Author
vic1iful
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2010/07/24 16:43:51 (permalink)

Anyone here familiar with the ROLAND M-1000 Digtal Mixer?

I need something that will set my word clocks easily between all my equipment. If I remember correctly, it had a CD that loaded drivers into it. Since it has been unsupported since '05  Most of those drivers would be incampatable I would assume. So those who use this, has it become an obsolete piece of equipment? Are there other ways than a cd to load new drivers in. Hoping someone can school me as to if this product is still a viable solution or recommend another product to me. TIA and Hello, my first day and I am already asking questions. ;)

4 Replies Related Threads

drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Anyone here familiar with the ROLAND M-1000 Digtal Mixer? 2010/07/24 19:13:37 (permalink)
    AFAIK, the drivers are only needed if you want to use it as a USB audio interface for your computer. If you are not using it as a USB interface, everything can be set from the front panel.

The user manual can be found here:
    http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/M-1000_OM.pdf

What exactly are you wanting to do? Use it as a word clock source? There are buttons on the far right (14 & 17 below) to set the clock source and native (output) sample rate. Each digital input will converted to the output rate set, regardless of whether they are synched or not, or even running at the same sampling rate! 

Here's the front panel description from an old PDF I had:

post edited by drewfx1 - 2010/07/24 19:14:55
    vic1iful
    Re:Anyone here familiar with the ROLAND M-1000 Digtal Mixer? 2010/07/24 22:14:37 (permalink)
    I have Spdif out on 2 processors and 2480(Used as a digital mixer) usb out of a couple of othe gadgets and midi out of the keyboard so I need at leat 2 anologue ports there. What do I use to sync about 6 of these gadgets together. some are old and don't have USB or Spdif. Will the m-1000 do it or will I need an external sync and Choose a system master - and chain the Wordclock around using a 75 Ohm terminator at the end of the chain (a bit more complex but doable). Oh, one of these gadgets is a VG99 so guitar tracking has to be right on time. TIA
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Anyone here familiar with the ROLAND M-1000 Digtal Mixer? 2010/07/25 12:30:13 (permalink)
    OK, first we need to differentiate between MIDI timing/clock/sync and digital audio clock. MIDI clock thinks in terms of musical notes and measures and is used to synchronize devices to the music's tempo. The M-1000 doesn't do MIDI of any kind. If you need MIDI synced, you plug the MIDI out of your computer/sequencer to the MIDI in of the device you want to synchronize and set it to use the external MIDI clock.

Digital audio clocking is totally different, and it is always necessary for the device sending the signal and the device receiving the signal to use the same clock (unless you're using a device like the M-1000 that re-clocks the input to the output). Otherwise you will get loud and horrible clicks and pops instead of audio. The digital clock signal is either sent along with the s/pdif audio signal or via dedicated a word clock that carries only the clocking information.

If the devices have digital inputs or word clock input, you need to send them each the same digital clock either via their s/pdif input or word clock. They will each need to be set to "external clock". The difficulty (!) here is to route and configure multiple things so each gets the same clock. If everything accepts word clock, this is much easier.

Where the M-1000 is fantastic is for devices with only coax s/pdif outs, but no digital inputs or word clock to allow for an external clock. You just plug each one into the M-1000's 4 digital inputs, and it re-clocks them (and mixes them) to either it's own clock, the clock arriving at digital input 1, or word clock in.

Note that digital input 1 is either optical or coax, 2 and 3 are coax only, and 4 is either coax or the output from the computer if using the USB audio feature. There is only 1 analog input, but there are both Master (balanced XLR and optical + coax s/pdif) and Monitor (RCA and headphone) outputs.
    post edited by drewfx1 - 2010/07/25 12:31:55
    vic1iful
    Re:Anyone here familiar with the ROLAND M-1000 Digtal Mixer? 2010/07/25 13:39:06 (permalink)
    Thank you for clarifying that. I guess that will take care of the shadowing of sounds coming out of the PA as well. I ALWAYS wondered, (even before I started this project of learning to integrate with my computer), if there was a way to get my processors for my guitar to come out synced.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1