mp3 encoder problem

Author
ryantonic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2010/07/24 22:06:26 (permalink)

mp3 encoder problem

when i finish a project i export it into a wave file. when i try and save it as a mp3 is says i need to update it or reinstall my mp3 encoder or somthing. if i reinstall or custom install my disks will that effect any of my work saved on my computer? What do i need to do so my mp3 encoder for sonar 8.5 to work. Also how do i know if my .2 and .5 updates are working. after downloading and installing them, do they automatically start working? thanks

16 Replies Related Threads

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/24 22:49:24 (permalink)
    Hi, Ryantonic,

As to the mp3 encoder, you can upgrade by paying Cakewalk people from the trial version.

Or, you can download the free LAME (mp3 encoder) install it in any folder, and then tell Sonar where the encoder is located.

For details, a googly search for "install LAME Sonar" or something like that would surely bring you various helpful pages.

I use LAME, as well as many other Sonar users...Quality and results are said to be the same....LAME is an open software free of charge product.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/25 00:11:05 (permalink)
    NoKey

Hi, Ryantonic,

As to the mp3 encoder, you can upgrade by paying Cakewalk people from the trial version.

Or, you can download the free LAME (mp3 encoder) install it in any folder, and then tell Sonar where the encoder is located.

For details, a googly search for "install LAME Sonar" or something like that would surely bring you various helpful pages.

I use LAME, as well as many other Sonar users...Quality and results are said to be the same....LAME is an open software free of charge product.

Here's something that was news to me - Take a look at the Orchestral Shootout thread, starting with post #226:

http://forum.cakewalk.com...?m=2054686&mpage=8

A new user installed the free Lame MP3 encoder, but when he went to use it, he was still presented with the dialog about needing to purchase it.

I assume he hadn't pointed Sonar to his freebie, and so the original path was still coming up.  A bit confusing though, because the Sonar encoder is also Lame isn't it?

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/25 00:33:54 (permalink)
    I have the instructions on my Cakewalk FAQ page.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    DaveElson
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/25 00:44:27 (permalink)
    Ryan
    I left the message earlier on the Shootout forum and it was my error. I followed the instructions, but when I went to export, I thought that just by choosing the MP3 option in the drop down list, then that would work.
    If you follow those instructions , then make sure you choose and look to the bottom of the list for whatever name you might give to your encoder.
    Hope this helps.
    rbowser
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/25 00:46:57 (permalink)
    DaveElson

Ryan
    I left the message earlier on the Shootout forum and it was my error. I followed the instructions, but when I went to export, I thought that just by choosing the MP3 option in the drop down list, then that would work.
    If you follow those instructions , then make sure you choose and look to the bottom of the list for whatever name you might give to your encoder.
    Hope this helps.

Glad you cleared things up for yourself, Dave - How have you been making music with Sonar but never used an MP3 encoder in it before?--At least you have the encoder now!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    DaveElson
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/25 00:55:37 (permalink)
    Hi Randy
    I don't make much (if any) music. I'm an amateur who plays around with Sonar,  loves music and one of these days may produce something more than a few beats. I consider myself a non musician, and I don't say that in a self deprecating way, but in a way that respects those that produce music.
    By the way..looked at your musical earlier today and without wanting to change this thread I am impressed with Dorian.
    Edit for spelling.
    post edited by DaveElson - 2010/07/25 00:59:14
    rbowser
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/25 01:01:15 (permalink)
    DaveElson

Hi Randy
    I don't make much (if any) music. I'm an amateur who plays around with Sonar,  loves music and one of these days may produce something more than a few beats. I consider myself a non musician, and I don't say that in a self deprecating way, but in a way that respects those that produce music.
    By the way..looked at your musical earlier today and without wanting to change this thread I am impressed with Dorian.
    Edit for spelling.

Ah - I see!  Well then it's really cool that you took on the project of making a version of the "Star Trek" theme that we have going on the other thread. - THAnks for letting me know you're enjoying my show!

MP3 encoder - necessary tool.  --There, we got it back on topic. 

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    ryantonic
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/25 14:01:50 (permalink)
    NoKey

Hi, Ryantonic,

I have the producer edition and i havent used the mp3 encoder that came with it.   Ill check out the free encoder thanks.
    rbowser
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/25 14:07:56 (permalink)
    ryantonic

NoKey

Hi, Ryantonic,

I have the producer edition and i havent used the mp3 encoder that came with it.   Ill check out the free encoder thanks.

And take note that in message #4, Daveny points out that he has instructions for setting Lame up - click the FAQ link in his signature.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    NoKey
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/26 00:35:28 (permalink)
    rbowser

NoKey

Hi, Ryantonic,

Here's something that was news to me - Take a look at the Orchestral Shootout thread, starting with post #226:

http://forum.cakewalk.com...?m=2054686&mpage=8

A new user installed the free Lame MP3 encoder, but when he went to use it, he was still presented with the dialog about needing to purchase it.

I assume he hadn't pointed Sonar to his freebie, and so the original path was still coming up.  A bit confusing though, because the Sonar encoder is also Lame isn't it?

Randy B.

Hi Randy,

Yes, I read in this forum were someone posted that the Sonar paid version was actually the very same LAME utility.

Maybe Sonar made an arrangement to sell it, although some open software license do allow people to sell the product, even though it's free.

For instance, people in the web SELL CD's of Linux, even though it's free, software-wise, and that's legal. But for sure, I don't think we know, and I don't have the paid version, so I just can't check it.

Actually, I don't even remember that my Sonar LE had even a trial version installed to begin with.

Anyhow, the quality of LAME is world-wide acclaimed.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    ryantonic
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/27 17:02:40 (permalink)
    i downloaded it and it open as a zipfile. i cant figure how to install it. i hate installing or adding things to my program, i have the same sort of problem when i try and install vst plugins it takes me a thousands tries and i some how luck out or dont get it at all. computers can be frustrating
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/27 17:08:11 (permalink)
    Ok man.

Check this out... there is a free software that is called "switch"

Just do a google search for it....

I use it.. infact we are using it right now to convert over 3,000 wma files to mp3 at my main gig.  It is free and the dithering is great(Sounds good when it is finished encoding)!
    NoKey
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/27 19:46:01 (permalink)
    ryantonic

i downloaded it and it open as a zipfile. i cant figure how to install it. i hate installing or adding things to my program, i have the same sort of problem when i try and install vst plugins it takes me a thousands tries and i some how luck out or dont get it at all. computers can be frustrating

Hi Ryantonic,

Install it in any folder you want, and know the location, which means the Path to it.

Then in Sonar, there's a dropdown menu for utilities or tools or something like that that you need in order to tell sonar where the Lame .dll is located.

Search google, also for "sonar install lame" or something like that.

ryantonic
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/27 23:58:24 (permalink)
    jasonthurley

Ok man.

Check this out... there is a free software that is called "switch"

Just do a google search for it....

I use it.. infact we are using it right now to convert over 3,000 wma files to mp3 at my main gig.  It is free and the dithering is great(Sounds good when it is finished encoding)!

right, thats what i have been using. After a while  for some reason it said i had to pay, but now its working again
    ryantonic
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/28 00:00:22 (permalink)
    NoKey

ryantonic

Hi Ryantonic,

Install it in any folder you want, and know the location, which means the Path to it.

Then in Sonar, there's a dropdown menu for utilities or tools or something like that that you need in order to tell sonar where the Lame .dll is located.

Search google, also for "sonar install lame" or something like that.

thanks, ill have to keep trying
    DaveElson
    Re:mp3 encoder problem 2010/07/28 01:31:09 (permalink)
    ryantonic

I've copied and pasted Jose7822's instructions below. Hope he doesn't mind, it's from post #24 of the Orchestral Shootout thread. The problem I had was I called my encoder MP3. When I went to export, on the export screen there is a drop down menu that defaults first to wave. When you open the drop down section, I saw MP3 and assumed that was what I needed. No.....that was/is the Cakewalk encoder. 
    Later, I changed the name of my encoder to Lame MP3 and saved. Restarting Sonar at this stage might help but not sure. Anyway, by then trying again I found the lame encoder at the bottom of the list on the export screen.
    Follow the instructions carefully, I even copied/pasted the details that should go on the command line. I think even the path line was automatically done, but not sure.
    Hope this helps. Edit: Had some formatting problems with Jose7822's text after pasting, so had to tidy it a little.

Here's how to use the free LAME MP3 encoder inside of Sonar (the one included in Sonar is a trial version, so you have to pay after it expires): 

NOTE:  There's both a 32 bit and a 64 bit version 

Download this complied version of LAME v.3.97: 
    http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php Extract this file inside your Shared Utilities folder located inside your Cakewalk folder. 
     Open Sonar and go to Tools::Cakewal Ext. Encoder Config. In the Friendly Name Field write: Lame MP3 Encoder (or something you'll recognize).
     In the Extension field write: .mp3 
     In the Path field write the path where the Lame encoder is located.
     That's where you extracted the LAME compiled file (where lame.exe and lame_enc.dll are).
     In the Command Line field write: lame -b 192 -m j %I %O or for best quality: lame --alt-preset insane %I %O   Uncheck Keep Wave File.
     Press Save button.   
    Hope this helps! 

post edited by DaveElson - 2010/07/28 01:37:00
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1