Is it any wonder

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2010/07/25 01:56:33 (permalink)

Is it any wonder

That people are confused about the difference between RAM and disk space when one of the largest UK computer retailers puts out garbage like this in a mail shot.

Here is a tip form PC World's "The Tech Guys"

How can an external hard drive free up space on my computer? 

If your computer's running low on memory, an external hard drive can give you extra space. Simply plug it in to your PC and start transferring your photos, videos, music and any files you like. To access the files again, just go to My Computer and open your hard drive's folder.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

4 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Is it any wonder 2010/07/25 04:30:02 (permalink)
    As the saying goes "there's one born every minute".

It's the kind of marketing that stems back from when IT meant 'Ivory Tower'.

The point is to keep the lowly end users misinformed and in the dark so they are always reliant on 'The Tech Guy' at £50 a visit. 

The other thing is that many people go voluntarily stupid when faced with new (to them) technology which helps keep the whole 'you need support' ball rolling.  Strangely the same people that would likely kick a washing-machine that stopped working, peculiarly treat a computer like some kind of revered magic box.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/25 04:33:25

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Is it any wonder 2010/07/25 05:39:57 (permalink)

An old friend of mine works as a Tech Guy for the local PC World.

Reassuringly, he's one of the good guys who has nearly lost his job (twice) for cutting through the bull with customers. He'll also gladly offer straightforward advice that means customers don't need to bring their PC's into PCW and get charged the earth for it - I believe one particular example of this earned him his 'written' warning.

So go figure - he fulfils his job description as a 'Tech Guy' (at which he is very good BTW) by giving technical support to PCW customers and gets a written warning for it; instead of blinding the customer with science thereby getting PCW an inflated and unnecessary fee for work the customer could do themselves if properly informed.

Sadly, he's as rare as hen's teeth I'm lead to believe. Moreover, it seems that a lot of the so-called 'Tech Guys' are only there to deal with exchanges and refunds as well as offering product advice (usually geared towards the more expensive, as opposed to the most appropriate, goods).

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Is it any wonder 2010/07/25 07:56:38 (permalink)
    Doesn't surprise me.

When I went off to uni 10 years ago (eek!) I applied to the local PC World for a job.
    I had 12 years computer experience - including PC support roles, and was doing a Comuter Science degree,
    so it can be assumed I knew a bit about computers at the time and had an interest in them.
    Didn't get a reply.

A drama student I met in the Union bar in freshers week, never worked in his life, and by his own admittance knew
    stuff all about computers, applied the same day I did. He got an immediate job offer and worked there
    for a year. I didn't begrudge him getting it, but it told me a lot about PC Worlds hiring policies.

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Is it any wonder 2010/07/25 13:00:46 (permalink)
     I was sure the OP was going to mention Mooch (or at least Bapu)

<shrugs>

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1