Grumpy Old man

Author
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
2010/07/25 07:22:52 (permalink)

Grumpy Old man

[rant] The modern age is getting me down. Here's the gist of my conversation yesterday with 'customer services' at the company that provide me with home insurance. The bunch with the nodding dog adverts. This followed a miserable couple of hours trying to get sense out of two other companies who had provided me with online quotes, so I wasn't in the best of moods.

Me 'Hello, I'd like to cancel the renewal of my policy please'

'Lee' 'Oh, why's that, is it the price and that?'

M 'Yes, you've increased the premium by £100'

L 'Well, we can 'ave a look at it and that, see if we can bring it down..?'

M 'If you were able to do that, why did you increase it?'

L 'Well..we just sort of choose who we give good deals to, mate'

M 'Please don't call me 'mate, I don't even know you'

L 'Oh, sorry, don't you like that? Just trying to be friendly'

M 'I don't need you to be friendly, I need you to cancel my policy, thanks'

L 'Yeah OK, you don't 'ave to do it, see ya laters'

M  'I very much doubt that, goodbye'

Is it me? Yes, I was probably a bit uptight with the lad, but what sort of training do these people get nowadays?

[/rant]

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer

7 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Grumpy Old man 2010/07/25 07:32:33 (permalink)
    I think you have made a good observation...

When I complain to a manager about some poor aspect of service and they start making excuses about/for their employees... I try to clearly state that in my opinion the failure was with training and management's lack of ongoing attention to see if the training was effective.

I agree that it is about poor training.

best regards,
    mike

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Grumpy Old man 2010/07/25 08:52:55 (permalink)
    When my phone died last week I called the local phone shop (who probably can't fix phones...just sell you a few and sell you a new contract.)  Anyway, he excitedly said I was eligible for an update.  Meaning, I could buy one for ONLY $259, with a $100 rebate.  OR, the better phone for ONLY $359 with a $100 rebate.  Hmm...I only paid $100 for this one.  Oh, and he'd gladly get the information off my phone IF I have another phone from the same company.  Oh, and the software I have that saves all my info to my computer (which I did)...won't let you retrieve that info unless you jump through a whole bunch more hoops...and probably buy another one of their phones. 

My son had one he bought for his wife when hers broke, but she didn't end up using.  I bought it off him for $20 and will most likely use it until it dies.  I hope I don't forget something extremely important that is on my other phone.  :-( 

Sorta reminds me of the rant about tech guys in the other thread. 

post edited by Janet - 2010/07/25 09:39:06
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Grumpy Old man 2010/07/25 12:02:34 (permalink)
    Why have we become so technologically dependent? I remember when the only phones you could call home from used to cost 10 cents.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Grumpy Old man 2010/07/25 13:08:44 (permalink)
    this is why they invented moneysupermarket.com (other price comparison websites are available...;-) ) put if ur info once, find the cheapest people, then do it again on their website...can't be bothered spending hours on the phone to save £20 a year or something...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Grumpy Old man 2010/07/25 13:10:18 (permalink)
    Now y'all understand the kinds of phone calls Paul and I have.

j/k I lurves me Paaawwwwwlie.

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Grumpy Old man 2010/07/25 13:35:03 (permalink)
    mgh

this is why they invented moneysupermarket.com (other price comparison websites are available...;-) ) put if ur info once, find the cheapest people, then do it again on their website...can't be bothered spending hours on the phone to save £20 a year or something...

That was what wound me up so much Mark. I got all the prices from GoCompare, but none of the companies could find the quote references their websites gave me, even though I had them right there onscreen, while talking to them.

You know, after I learned to drive, I dealt with the same insurance broker for nigh-on 20 years..used to go into their offices in town, have a quick chat and I was all sorted for another year. Dusty old men in dusty old offices, but they knew the business inside out and backwards.

Internet making life simpler? Pah. 

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Grumpy Old man 2010/07/25 14:14:45 (permalink)
    On a recent tech support call.... after determining that the tech support guy did not know the solution, he than said he would get the answer for me and call me back.... he said goodbye and I interrupted him before he hung up...and I asked if he had my phone number.... to which he replied...."uhhhhh no".  I gave him the return number and he said he'd be in touch in a day or two...... that was close to a month ago..... still no call...... was I really expecting him to call me? .....uhhhhh no.

I love "customer no service".

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1