Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more...

Author
philz
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2462
2010/07/25 15:14:47 (permalink)

Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more...

Linking in what impressed me as a really important read on internet privacy.  It appeared in today's NY Times Magazine Section, but it looks like the whole thing is online here- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/magazine/25privacy-t2.html?_r=1&ref=magazine

Think I'm gonna' try and write a song about this.

10 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more... 2010/07/25 15:23:14 (permalink)
    "and the average user creates 70 pieces of content a month"

Obviously they have not investigated Mooch Bapu yet.
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more... 2010/07/25 15:48:58 (permalink)
    The impressive point about this article is not that your reputation can be destroyed more or less permanently by online postings (true or false) by you or others. We more of less all knew that. What is more important is that serious people who more or less control our destiny find it so convenient and acceptable to go fishing in the internet swamp to get information they use to judge us. The option to have an expensive background check run on every potential spouse or employee has existed for decades, but the ability to do it yourself for nothing over lunch is new.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more... 2010/07/25 19:11:09 (permalink)
    Whatever, understand that in 25 years time when people catch up they may eventually understand that I was a true pioneer genius well ahead of my time as all the evidence will be laid before them and it is my understanding they will eventually be equipped with enough understanding to understand.

It's neither a good thing or a bad thing it's just the inevitable stuff of change.  The written word has always been more durable than what is spoken.

If I've said it then obviously I must have meant it at the time....

(or did I?)
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/25 19:12:49

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more... 2010/07/25 19:41:52 (permalink)
    Time changes meanings and statements and we always learn from the ongoing process of the progression of concepts.

Craig DuBuc
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more... 2010/07/26 06:45:31 (permalink)
    well.......that's it ... I am changing my online identity

In in person my name is Paul -- and online my name will be mooch4056

they'll never know it's me no matter what I post!!!!!!!

(evil laugh) bwah hahahahahahahahaha........

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more... 2010/07/26 09:08:43 (permalink)
    disclaimer: what you think you know about me may, or may not be entirely true.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more... 2010/07/26 17:01:58 (permalink)
    Hi,

... But in 2008, a federal district judge rejected the claim, saying that because Snyder was a public employee whose photo didn’t relate to matters of public concern, her “Drunken Pirate” post was not protected speech.  ...

This is the issue ... if you are an employee that makes more money than most of us, that is with "benefits" ... then you have an issue that the courts are not willing to discuss or deal with much.

It's the same thing if you have a government or a state job ... you are essentially subservient to the rules that ... shut up! ... so if you are a republican and there is a democrat in there ... shut up ... or vice versa. And in the past 20 years the "politically correct" stuff has gotten out of hand and courts are making a mockery of the constitution, or at least the idea of it.

I can understand, me not saying something bad about the company I am working for ... I would be a hippocrit if all I was doing was taking the money and run in my book ... and I refuse to do that ... yes, there are things that might not be right, but there also are a lot of good people that work really hard to make things better for others. So, yeah, I might not have appreciated an employee of mine doing that, but stating that the government is the scion of purity and the pariah of righteousness is going a bit too far ... stinks more of "might makes right" than it does reason or reality.

Yeah ... sadly, that's not a democracy, but a Political Science book could easily tell you that IS a democracy if the majority thinks it is not correct or appropriate.

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more... 2010/07/26 18:19:15 (permalink)
    When I was a kid my mom used to ask me "do you want people to think you are the village idiot?"

I eventually learned that every village has some.

I guess some people want to be well known.

The article mentions the arrival of the gossip trade in the 1890's. It seems to me that now a days people produce their very own gossip, publish it on the world wide web, and then act surprised that others find their behavior unsavory.

I think my mom made a good a point.

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more... 2010/07/26 19:04:08 (permalink)
    I find the article weird in the sense that it does not seem to mention the culture of double standards.

For instance, Obama the current president admits and has made millions of dollars in admitting it in books that he used drugs.

Bill Clinton, as president, in realtime had oral sex with a girl in the office provided to him.

Bush Jr. also admitted t drugs and alcohol.

The priest, the Cardinals, and many religious figures of all faiths are involved in scandals.

The politicians, the chief executives that make millions off from governmet funds, Eric Price of BlackWater abusive fame..

All of those don't get hurt, and they are not just in facebook, but in the international news!

It's only the insignificant people that get hurt. The ones that are less equal than others.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Watch what you say because you can't take it back no more... 2010/07/26 20:27:08 (permalink)
    NoKey

I find the article weird in the sense that it does not seem to mention the culture of double standards.

It's only the insignificant people that get hurt. The ones that are less equal than others.

I don't think they would mention the double standards ... it would put the writer of the article in a double whammy that probably would lose him his job!

I don't think it is only the insignificant ... I really think that the issue is that the country is run by rich people, with rich people, creating laws for the rich people only to protect their interests. And as such, a lot of things are automatically tilted one way a little too much. But then, sometimes we're too interested in American Idol to worry about the Congress, too!

My thoughts always were that the biggest problem in American politics and law is ... too  many lawyers. If they had some wives, granma's, some daughters, some sisters, some folks from more/other races, I really think that things would be different.

You ought to check out the vicious fighting in some areas of the country where the population changes means that there will be some re-districting and that means that incumbent democrats or republicans will lose their seats ... and they are fighting like crazy to prevent those areas from being redone ... I guess they want to kill the census too, since it doesn't do anything except count heads?

I just think that one day another Robert Penn Warren will say/write something ... but I'm sure that many people would rather bury that book!
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2010/07/26 20:31:31

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1