Can't save: "Cannot write file..."

Author
djayers1
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 172
2010/07/25 23:20:47 (permalink)

Can't save: "Cannot write file..."

After saving all afternoon without problem, I started getting this message:  "Cannot write file -- disk may be full."  I am working in SP 8.5.3, I have a new quad core, 8gig mem, 1TB HD, W7, 788.6 gig available. 

I tried saving as a cwp, and cwb, tried Save and Save As, and then tried to save it to an external HD.  It seemed to be saving, then  when it was 98% done, I got this message:  "Fatal eerror occurred", and Sonar shut down.

I rebooted, then I tried to restart Sonar, and each time I got the "Fatal Error" message - before it even opened up.

I went on line, and Sonar said to "Locate the file AUD.INI in the Cakewalk directory and delete it.  I looked in every CW file I could find, and did a search on my computer for AUD.INI and it turned up nothing.  I'm not good with computers, and don't know where else to look.  (Others in Chat said they tried this and it didn't help.)

Others said to go to diskRecBuffer and set it to 512.  Is that in Audio>Options>Advanced>Record I/O Buffer Size (worded differently than what everybody said to look for).  I think that is what I have that set for, but as I said, I can't look now to see - I get the Fatal Error when I try to open it.  Thanks for any help.

post edited by djayers1 - 2010/07/27 17:19:58

David Ayers X3e, 64, Quad core. 8 gig mem., Lexicon Omega

2 Replies Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Can't save: "Cannot write file..." 2010/07/26 11:29:09 (permalink)
    I don't know the answer to either your Cannot Write error, or your Fatal Error, but I can answer some of your questions.

AUD.INI is in a hidden system folder, so search won't find it until you set your folder options to show hidden files and folders. Then, if you are on Win7, you'll find it in a path like:

C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR 8.5 Producer

or, on XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\dbaay\Local Settings\Application Data

That said, I doubt an AUD.INI setting is going to fix the Fatal Error. I saw CJay recommending to set BounceBufSizeMsec= to 20 or 30 (default is 0) in another thread, but that applied to resolving the original file writing error, not the Fatal Error when launching SONAR. 

It may be that renaming AUD,INI, and letting SONAR build a new one from scratch will resolve the issue, but it sounds to me like this might be a case where you actually have some file system corruption or disk I/O issue at the hardware/driver level that is causing the problem. Have your rebooted since this all went down?

The DiskBufSize and DiskRecBufSize settings you read about are the keys in AUD.IN, that correspond to the the File System I/O settings (Playback and Record, respectively)  that you found on the advanced tab of AudioOptions. AFAIK, these settings affect only real-time playback and recording disk I/O operations, and should not have a bearing on saving a project. In any case, 512's a good value, but I think the default is 256.

djayers1
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 172
    Re:Can't save: "Cannot write file..." 2010/07/27 17:22:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for your help.  After I get the Fatal Error resolved - and can get into Sonar, I'll apply your info.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1