more cat

Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2010/07/26 04:54:09 (permalink)

more cat

So, for the last couple of months, the cat has been refusing his food... to the point of going days without it... but he was always begging for it. I tried everything. From Cat Chow to Wiskas, then up to science diet and proforma. Refused them all. He has lost a lot of weight and I was becoming very concerned (you might remember the scare I had a dew weeks ago thinking it was his bladder).

Some might think I should have taken him to the vet, but the fact that he was always hungry, but never wanted what he was fed, strongly suggested he was not sick. Perhaps depressed (major changes in the house, including the loss of the dog and wife he has been with for the last ten years).

But during this time, I was hesitant to try one food, for fear that what I suspected was actually the case.

You see, a few months ago, as a treat, I bought the cat a can of Wellness, the worlds most expensive pet food. It is made with ingredients so fine that even I do not eat that well (salmon, white fish, sweet potato, carrots and so on). The cat of course loved it.

So as a last resort, with the cat having refused the latest brand test, I went and bought a can of Wellness. The problem is it cost damn near 4 bucks a can... 4 times the price of Friskies.

The cat has been eating almost non stop, and runs to the bowl if I even think about heading into the kitchen.

So... it seems that basically, he decided that was the only food he wanted to eat, and battled me till he won.

He won.

Crafty little bugger.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

24 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:more cat 2010/07/26 09:19:11 (permalink)
    My philosophy on pet food.  "There it is...eat it or go hungry"

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    foxwolfen
    Re:more cat 2010/07/26 12:06:46 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

My philosophy on pet food.  "There it is...eat it or go hungry"

That was my philosophy too, up till yesterday.

~~I fought the cat and the, cat won.~~

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:more cat 2010/07/26 15:44:56 (permalink)
    Hi,

You might want to mix the food 50/50 with something less expansive.

But some of that stuff on the stores, I don't think I would even feed that to a cat of mine!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

foxwolfen
    Re:more cat 2010/07/26 17:13:49 (permalink)
    I am just really happy he is eating again. He was really making me worried. And if this food makes him happy, then its a small price to pay.

Composers Forum
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:more cat 2010/07/26 17:21:14 (permalink)
    I hate to say it but I've had 3 pets who have died who all started out down the same path as you've described. Becoming more and more finicky, and then finally not eating at all. I did the same thing as you which was just to keep trying differnent things to find something that worked. But if I could do it again I would have taken them to the vet earlier. An animal that is hungry but refuses to eat for days on end is most likely more than just being finicky and is probably a sign of an underlying health problem.
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:more cat 2010/07/26 17:50:31 (permalink)
     I sure feel for you there Shad, I made the mistake of giving mine tuna in spring water a while back. She has been on a tuna strike ever since. It starts right when I get home from work, she gets up in my computer chair and looks at me like..we can do this the easy way or the hard way then it's just a matter of time. It has taken some time but the cat has got me well trained now.

Me

foxwolfen
    Re:more cat 2010/07/27 02:12:14 (permalink)
    Dave, that thought has been in the back of my mind. I will monitor him closely.

Grant... yep... feels like exactly what happened here.

Composers Forum
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    Re:more cat 2010/07/27 03:18:28 (permalink)
    Like you say Shad, a small price to pay

My cat does this to me all of the time but has moments when she gets caught out - like I'll come home from work and catch her eating the food she's previously refused. She then runs away from the bowl and pretends like she hasn't eaten all day!
    Daylaa
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:more cat 2010/07/27 08:30:15 (permalink)
    My cat began to get 'fussy' and decided he'd only eat the most expensive tins on the menu. So, eventually i sat him down in his basket, and suggested it was time he got a job to help fund his eating. He agreed and said he'd apply for 4 jobs:

'Cat who sits on the same bush each day meaning the bush it squashed beyond recognition officer'

'Cat who breaks cat-flap once annually through attempting to pass though the flap at high speeds whilst being physically over-weight officer'

'Cat who fails to catch birds or mice so instead jumps around the garden catching moths officer'

'Cat who is too fat to jump over the fence and is therefore required to 'meow' until human comes outside to let him in/out of the garden so that he can catch moths officer'

He actually ended up getting ALL 4 jobs - part time ofcourse, but it means we can carry on buying him the most expensive food items known to man.

Sonar X3 Producer
    Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192
    M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
    https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:more cat 2010/07/27 08:49:10 (permalink)
    dlogan

I hate to say it but I've had 3 pets who have died who all started out down the same path as you've described. Becoming more and more finicky, and then finally not eating at all. I did the same thing as you which was just to keep trying differnent things to find something that worked. But if I could do it again I would have taken them to the vet earlier. An animal that is hungry but refuses to eat for days on end is most likely more than just being finicky and is probably a sign of an underlying health problem.

I agree with Dlogan, get him to a vet, just to be safe.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    foxwolfen
    Re:more cat 2010/07/27 10:47:31 (permalink)
    Daylaa

My cat began to get 'fussy' and decided he'd only eat the most expensive tins on the menu. So, eventually i sat him down in his basket, and suggested it was time he got a job to help fund his eating. He agreed and said he'd apply for 4 jobs:

'Cat who sits on the same bush each day meaning the bush it squashed beyond recognition officer'

'Cat who breaks cat-flap once annually through attempting to pass though the flap at high speeds whilst being physically over-weight officer'

'Cat who fails to catch birds or mice so instead jumps around the garden catching moths officer'

'Cat who is too fat to jump over the fence and is therefore required to 'meow' until human comes outside to let him in/out of the garden so that he can catch moths officer'

He actually ended up getting ALL 4 jobs - part time ofcourse, but it means we can carry on buying him the most expensive food items known to man.

I tried that too. He just looked at me, laughed in that condescending wrah wrah way that cats have, patted me on the hand and then walked away and took a nap.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this cat.

Composers Forum
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:more cat 2010/07/27 10:52:55 (permalink)
    Daylaa

You forgot:
    • 'Cat who uses Strammy's croquette lawn as a toilet officer'
    I have about five of these living by me

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

foxwolfen
    Re:more cat 2010/07/27 14:01:52 (permalink)
    Well, we can also add "Cat who sits under strangers' bedroom windows all night fighting with other cats, Officer" to the list.

Composers Forum
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:more cat 2010/07/27 17:10:11 (permalink)

I've heard a vet say that some cats would starve themselves to death than eat what it don't like. WHAT!?

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Daylaa
    Re:more cat 2010/07/28 11:37:47 (permalink)
    Cat who randomly refuses to use cat-flap sometimes and will only enter/exit the house if the actual main DOOR is opened for them Officer

Sonar X3 Producer
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:more cat 2010/07/28 12:23:30 (permalink)

(Pronounced "Dah beh") What!?

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:more cat 2010/07/28 13:55:55 (permalink)
    My cats usually show vague symptoms, then get taken to the vet who spends a lot of my money finding out they have something that might benefit from some really costly treatment that eventually does not work. Then they die or have to be euthanized, leaving me feeling less guilty because I at least tried and more guilty because I spent so much, and put the cat through discomfort for a lost cause. My latest fiasco is a thoracotomy to remove a suspected thymoma (good prognosis with surgery) that turned out to be a thyroid carcinoma (bad prognosis period). I obviously should not have tried to retire early and keep pets too.

Hungry but avoiding food is worrisome, even a very sick cat can be coaxed into eating special goodies sometimes. Look in your cats mouth for obvious lesions and especially for redness/swelling along the gumline at the base of a tooth. Sometimes they will develop gingivitis or dental abscesses that  will make it hurt to eat. Curable for a reasonable cost. If the cat is having trouble swallowing, that is much less hopeful (and more expensive to work up). It is more subtle to pick up. Obviously if the cat is vomiting a lot it is a bad sign, but you should be able to see that pretty easily. Weight loss itself is a serious sign.

foxwolfen
    Re:more cat 2010/07/28 14:16:38 (permalink)
    David, that is a really good point about the cats mouth. He did lose a tooth a few months back (not sure how). It might well be as you say. I will take a look and keep monitoring.

He has been eating solid for a few days now, seems much happier and is returning to his usually gregarious self. The constant hairball problem seems diminished as well as he is not constantly licking to pass the time from hunger.

He is an old cat and from consulting with a local pet expert this sort of thing is not unusual. He recommended stronger smelling foods as the cats sense of smell may be diminishing. Might explain why the cat goes crazy if I open a can of sardines.

As I cannot financially afford a diagnosis that may not be needed from a vet, for now its wait, watch and see,

Composers Forum
    Daylaa
    Re:more cat 2010/07/29 11:08:50 (permalink)
    Jokes aside, that's good news your cat is eating again.  It sounds like he's an old fella - i'm sure he'll stumble across difficulties here and there. They're a bit like us really.

It's funny, my cat 'Olly' is an old chap now - when it comes to forcing him to take medication, he just opens up, swallows, shakes his head - all fine. I remember when he was really young we would have to strap him down!

We have been told by the vets that 'Josie' our other cat, has a heart murmer which basically means she'll just DIE one day, very suddenly, maybe in her sleep.

So for now we just enjoy spending time with them. She is actually so energetic still - she purrs so loudly she makes herself cough sometimes.

Keep us posted.
    Dave

Sonar X3 Producer
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

foxwolfen
    Re:more cat 2010/07/29 15:47:14 (permalink)
    I did a test.

After four days of the good stuff... put down what he USED to like for dinner.

Sniffed, looked at me with great disappointment, his eyes saying "I though we had this sorted out", tried to bury it and walked away. I then mixed it half and half with the good, and he tolerated it, though was clearly unhappy (it took him a long time eat).

Breakfast was good stuff, devoured.

Oh, yes, and he is now demanding his walks... kinda like a dog actually... he always was a strange cat.

Edit - I should point out that I do not let him out, I have a small harness and leash and we walk like a dog, albeit much slower with many more tangents.
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2010/07/29 15:52:41

Composers Forum
    amateur
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 451
    Re:more cat 2010/08/05 22:11:53 (permalink)
    Since he's old and therefore deserves respect, I hereby vote that he gets the good stuff for as long as he is around.  Even though you may have to make sacrifices and eat Kraft dinner to subsidize his $4 a can food.

Seriously though, giving him food he will eat will lengthen his life and make him happy.  And yes the sense of smell is key. 
    MrMook
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 589
    Re:more cat 2010/08/05 22:15:26 (permalink)
    amateur

Since he's old and therefore deserves respect, I hereby vote that he gets the good stuff for as long as he is around. 

+1

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

Intel i7 4790 360 GHz , 32 GB RAM, SR-22, UA-25EX, Win 7 x64, Too many Vsts and Effects.
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:more cat 2010/08/05 23:39:09 (permalink)
    +1 for giving the cat the best you can. As far as the hair balls, my cat had that problem until I got this glove with a brush on it with soft rubber like bristles Get one and love her up with that and you'll be amazed at how much hair you get off before it ends up a hair ball. Also the dramatic scenes of gratification are really something to see. But be warned, once your cat discovers the cat glove, there is no going back, you are forever a slave to the cat glove.
    post edited by ohgrant - 2010/08/05 23:40:41

Me

foxwolfen
    Re:more cat 2010/08/06 08:37:04 (permalink)
    I had a cat glove for my last cat... do not know what happened to it. Thanks for reminding me, I will pick up another.

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1