eJamming

Author
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
2010/07/26 07:19:26 (permalink)

eJamming

Hi folks, my first thread in the Coffee House, just wondering if anyone has heard or tried this Fender eJamming I'm wondering how this could possibly work with no latency.

Me

12 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 09:02:57 (permalink)
    Well it seems to be better than wJamming that Western Union offered a quarter of a century ago. Which was definite improvement over pJamming that the Pony Express failed at.
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 09:43:15 (permalink)
    There was also the jJamming debacle at my house when I was growing up.  I told my mother that not every form of plant life is suitable for jam (or for human consumption), but she wouldn't listen. 
    File077
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 429
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 10:55:08 (permalink)
    hmm, I know it would be fun.  I think ventrillo or skype could allow for it.  I would be interested in how you get over the lag though.  perhaps a calibrated metronome from a website?

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 15:42:05 (permalink)
    Hi,

It is inevitable and a nice thing.

The best part of it, is that it will make it easier to combine different cultures and peoples to do more, and different music. Of course, that might not help a lot of DAW users that don't really know much music except one beat or style, but you get the drift!

The possibilities are endless.

Making this live and a subscription service is strange, and possibly too expensive for some folks. If you have a local server, you can do this yourself just as well and you only need a good networking engineer!

One still needs a centralized location to record, and the neutral site should help with that.

Wonder if it will prevent World War 3 ... ?

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

ohgrant
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 18:52:30 (permalink)
    From what I understand so far, the guitar preamp tones are built into the software, not sure if it's possible to use the patches with Sonar or if you can use 3rd party soft amps like, Gearbox or Amplitube with it. As far as doing it yourself with a server, I'm thinking there's more involved to get it to work with standard T1. I think they must have found a way to compensate for the delay so each person is hearing it as live but is really delayed for each in a controlled way. I don't think it will prevent any wars but if bands can rehearse over the internet that takes distance out of the equation as far as rehearsals go. All a band would have to worry about is getting to the paid gigs and having the right equipment to get the sound live. I guess I'm going to have to try it when I get some free time, don't want to waste another trial period.

Me

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 19:06:40 (permalink)
    Steve Dudeman
    on 04/10/2010 The idea is great but still needs development. I tested it for a month and it was one problem after the other. They are not very specific to any suggested setup. Might work one day but its in its infancy. tbird481
    on 01/21/2010 This is cool technology. I had them live at a keynote in the LA area, guitarist on stage, keyboardist just crawling out of bed in Phoenix. Took 3 minutes to get it setup and we were live. Awesome people behind eJamming as well. Check it out! William
    on 01/17/2010 Typical latencies I have seen for two players are 60ms in jam mode. Not zero, but quite usable. bluessky
    on 01/15/2010 No latency issues? Hard to believe! But hey, it's worth a shot -- it'd be like a dream come true if it works! I have to see it to believe it.

ohgrant
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 19:13:56 (permalink)
     I've seen those, but I'm thinking the folks having normal latency issues are not already optimized for recording like we are..?

Me

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 19:21:08 (permalink)
    I mildly disagree... I think the folks having problems have just observed the real life inconsistency of their internet bandwidth availability. I think the folks with glowing reviews got lucky.

When was the last time you had to wait for "buffering" on a media download?

best regards,
    mike

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 19:21:54 (permalink)
    I clicked the link provided "For more information" and it lead to a page with a picture of a broken guitar, and a Page-Not-found, Broken Link message.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    ohgrant
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 19:28:58 (permalink)
    I did a search and found it here http://www.fender.com/promos/2010/ejamming/
    Watching the vid now..

Me

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 19:50:41 (permalink)
    ohgrant

From what I understand so far, the guitar preamp tones are built into the software, not sure if it's possible to use the patches with Sonar or if you can use 3rd party soft amps like, Gearbox or Amplitube with it. 

If everyone has the software it is not an issue ... what you do "at home" is being done BEFORE it gets transmitted to the other place, so regardless of what you do it should be fine ... you are essentially jamming with what is coming out of the speakers ... which doesn't care what you are using, is what I am thinking from a computer perspective.

This will be fine for rehearsing and creating music, but not very good for "live" jamming at all ... any delay or timing issues will be pure heck and a mess in a "live" transmission of any kind and a synching issue is on the way.

The nature of internet connections right now, with the Cable companies hurting your ability to stream anything over the internet, will not allow these kinds of programs to work correctly and efficiently until the day that the Internet is no longer controlled by interests that want to sell you the next Hollywood blockbuster, be then TW or Comcast ... !!! The downside is that the music business is the one that can help this stuff get better and more important, and these companies are killing the music business instead!

The latest is to increase your speed, and this is NOT what you need for these situations ... you need the BANDWIDTH to make this happen, and unless you have a guaranteed (make it in writing too!) and someone that can verify that you are getting what you are paying for ... I doubt that we will see this work properly in our time ... it is not the design that DSL or the Cable companies can use ... and there are other concerns.

I wouldn't do this unless you were all in Unix systems, where you can verify and make sure that your connection is not being hammered and screwed up silly with some stuff from Microsoft or McAfee or Norton or some stupid iTunes update/check, the kind of stuff that tends to eat up the resources in your computer. If you can not guarantee that everything else is "clear" in your system, it will slow down what you are doing.

Until such a time as the commercial internet services offer an alternative that it more helpful, stuff like this is the dream for you and I ... sadly, it won't happen.

I think it will only happen the day that the FCC opens up Wireless for good ... and this will create some serious competition for Internet Providers and the difference will be ... the ones that hold and have the better connections and everyone else falls off. The way things are right now, cable is your option but with the major systems making sure that your streaming is hurt (there is a hesitation between Portland and Vancouver that prevents World of Warcraft from working smoothly!!!! as an example) ... the chances of something like this working right is ... hell!

Try playing 2 World of Warcraft accounts at the same time ... remember that this would be 2 data streams going to the same place, and look at the difference between them ... it's so bad sometimes that it is reidiculous, but right there ... is my best example for you!

If WoW doesn't work right, what makes you think music would? It's a provider issue, not a software/hardware issue for the most part.

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

ohgrant
    Re:eJamming 2010/07/26 20:56:44 (permalink)

Moshpit you just made me laugh so hard my side about split...I think I'm starting to understand you a little, you're not just bitter about the CHB..you're bitter about everything. I think you need us to send Bapu over to give you a huge hug.

After reading this, I installed demo
    Software Features

Up to 4 musicians connect together in a Session PC and Mac High Fidelity CD-quality 16-bit live audio CD quality recording and playback (44.1 kHz/up to 24 bit) Record up to 16 Audio and 16 Midi tracks. Near zero latency feel on your instrument in Jam and VRS modes Core Audio and ASIO compatibility. Exportable .wav and .mid file formats
       Just checked it out breifly, it's setup kind of like an internet card game. There was about 10 sessions going all closed but there were folks in the chat area waiting for someone to start one I think. I'll let you know if it sucks..

Me

Jump to:
      © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1