GTP4 and Smartloops

Author
Billt
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/07/26 08:46:53 (permalink)

GTP4 and Smartloops

The bass smartloops that come with GTP4 seem to be in the chord of C. Is it possible to change these so that for example I could have a 12 bar blues progresion C, F, G etc.

I note there is an option to insert a key change. Not sure that that is for but does not seem to change the smartloop I inserted

Thanks...Keith

10 Replies Related Threads

Pete Stobbs
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:GTP4 and Smartloops 2010/07/26 16:59:43 (permalink)
    Keith,

As an example, in GTP4 set up two audio tracks. Select the 112_bassblackwell146 C (40) loop. Drag it into an audio track. Stretch it up to 12 on the time/ruler.

Right click on the time ruler at about measure 5. Select Insert marker. In the name field type F.

Where it says Groove clip pitch, (Default value says No pitch), select F.

Play back the loop and it should change key to F at measure 5 on the time ruler.

This should give you an idea how to continue....hopefully.

Pete.
    Billt
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:GTP4 and Smartloops 2010/07/26 17:16:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Pete, works a treat!

Dont know why the programme has to hide things like that away - guess its just getting used to it.

Thanks again...............Bill
    princepearce
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:GTP4 and Smartloops 2010/08/12 10:11:31 (permalink)
    That is why the very first thing you will do with the Guitar Speed Trainer will be learning the fundamentals:

- How speed picking really works.
    - The four picking strategies.
    - The three types of motion.
    - How to measure your speed.
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    Re:GTP4 and Smartloops 2010/08/12 20:51:08 (permalink)
    Pete Stobbs

Keith,

As an example, in GTP4 set up two audio tracks. Select the 112_bassblackwell146 C (40) loop. Drag it into an audio track. Stretch it up to 12 on the time/ruler.

Right click on the time ruler at about measure 5. Select Insert marker. In the name field type F.

Where it says Groove clip pitch, (Default value says No pitch), select F.

Play back the loop and it should change key to F at measure 5 on the time ruler.

This should give you an idea how to continue....hopefully.

Pete.

Pete,

Good to hear from you, mate! Sounds like you've become quite the pro at this. So are the recordings comming?

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Pete Stobbs
    Re:GTP4 and Smartloops 2010/08/13 14:26:01 (permalink)
    Hi Doc,

Nowhere near 'Pro' mate. Still finding things out meself!! Made a few records in the past but studio stuff was left to them that knew!

First attempt

As it says...no time spent on proper production/mixing etc.

About to purchase one of these:

G2M

And see how it performs.

Maybe purchase Jamstix as well or something similar.

Have lots of ideas which I tend to get down on GTP4 hoping to find the  time to take them further.
    A bit miffed with the Studio instruments packaged with GTP4 as I thought it would be polyphonic.

So basically for me, it's taking the time to find out how things work and probably expecting too much from things like groove clips etc. That can be frustrating

All the best.

Pete.

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    Re:GTP4 and Smartloops 2010/09/03 23:08:09 (permalink)
    I can understand the frustration. It's hard to play around with MIDI clips, loops and such without loosing the idea or the inspiration that comes with it. I find that happening to me time and time again. Lots of ideas and then it gets stifled by fighting with the software to get what you want. I had the same problems back with the portastudios and the first portable and affordable drum machines. Drove me nuts....

I have quite the library of MIDI clips now so it's not as bad. but still troublesome.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

dolfantimmy
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:GTP4 and Smartloops 2010/11/14 21:02:48 (permalink)
    I followed your instructions, except that I grabbed a random loop out of SD3, Rock-02.  Drug the loop to the Track, then stretched out for several measures.

I right-clicked on the time ruler at measure 5, then selected Insert Marker.  I enter F in the name field, and chose "F" from the Grove Clip Pitch.  Yet, when I play back, all measures are in same pitch.

Any ideas?

Pete Stobbs
    Re:GTP4 and Smartloops 2010/11/15 15:30:59 (permalink)
    Try right clicking on your loop and select clip properties then audio stretching then tick Follow project pitch.

Does that help?

dolfantimmy
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:GTP4 and Smartloops 2010/11/15 20:58:33 (permalink)
    Now, this I am able to get some change to the notes.  I had played with this before starting the other thread, which lead me to this thread.

Anyway, are all the SI instruments play in the chord of C?  If so, would that not be the project pitch?

So, If my song is in the key of G, and I want to play the bass, for example, along with a G chording, would I not choose "Follow Reference Pitch", select "Reference Note C", and then +7 semitones to get to G?

Please forgive if I've completely fouled this concept up.  I know very little theory, but to get from C (the note the track seems to always be recorded at), to get to G, is 7 semitones, no?

Thanks so much for your help.   I love this product but am getting frustrated.
    Pete Stobbs
    Re:GTP4 and Smartloops 2010/11/16 16:13:47 (permalink)
    The only way I know is this:

I want the bass loop to play in G.

1. Example using Bass loop 91_Slap It 1 G (10) which is a loop in the key of G from the Smart loops/Bass folder with GTP4.

Create a track and drag 91_Slap It 1 G (10) into it. Drag a decent measure.

Right click on your loop and select clip properties then audio stretching then tick Follow project pitch and in the reference note select C.

Now the loop will be in G.

2. Now suppose I want the loop to go from G to C.

Somewhere along the measure right click and insert marker. Give the marker name C.
    In the groove clip pitch select F.

Play the clip and it should change from G up to  C.

If anyone knows better please help.

Pete

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1