buyer beware MOTU Pre 8

Author
mistified funk
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
2010/07/26 14:11:47 (permalink)

buyer beware MOTU Pre 8

i bought this thing brand new, and use it regularly, cause it's the only one i got and can't afford a new one.
It works okay, but the problem is that the pots are really crappy, REALLY CRAPPY, the knobs are really unresponsive.  The volume knob will instantly jack all the way to full when i'm turning it down, which is extremely unpleasant, and when turning up the gain knobs for the inputs, there will be little response then, Bam, over load. Whoever built these parts of this interface did a really ****ty job, so if you're looking for an interface i would look into something else before considering buying this one.

4 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:buyer beware MOTU Pre 8 2010/07/26 15:38:00 (permalink)
    mistified funk

i bought this thing brand new, and use it regularly, cause it's the only one i got and can't afford a new one.
    It works okay, but the problem is that the pots are really crappy, REALLY CRAPPY, the knobs are really unresponsive.  The volume knob will instantly jack all the way to full when i'm turning it down, which is extremely unpleasant, and when turning up the gain knobs for the inputs, there will be little response then, Bam, over load. Whoever built these parts of this interface did a really ****ty job, so if you're looking for an interface i would look into something else before considering buying this one.

If you are using active monitors you might consider getting a passive volume control to go between the MOTU and the speakers. You will get better sound that way if you leave the volume all the way up on the MOTU and use the passive one to control the volume. That's what I do with my Lynx card and active monitors.

Here is an example...

http://www.markertek.com/...Audio/NANO-PATCH.xhtml
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:buyer beware MOTU Pre 8 2010/07/26 16:05:33 (permalink)
    FWIW, I can see why you'd think the pots are cheap...
    But I've never experienced anything like that with my 8-Pre.

If yours is new or still under warranty, I'd have MOTU swap it out.

I used the 8-pre for both remote recording... and as my audio interface (playing soft-synths at live gigs) for at least a couple of years.  The only issue I had with mine was the LED display was starting to get a little flakey (would go out).
    I bought my 8-Pre used for a little more than half price.
    Feature/function wise... I never had a problem with it. 
    Round-trip latency is the lowest of any Firewire audio interface at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k (5.35ms TRL at those settings)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    mistified funk
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re:buyer beware MOTU Pre 8 2010/07/26 16:30:15 (permalink)
    jim, i agree that other then the problem i'm having with the pots, everything else seems to be working great, it's just a pain.

Ohhey, adding more features to my bedroom studio is not an option at this time
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:buyer beware MOTU Pre 8 2010/07/26 17:41:32 (permalink)
    I ripped of the pot/knob of one of my 896HDs... but I shoved it back in and it's been working fine for a couple years.

I'd like to fix it... because I have to be gentle with it, but the fact that everything is working is worth more to me than taking the time to mess up my working system.

best regards,
    mike 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1