Instrumental Track

Author
AndyB01
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
2010/07/27 18:27:18 (permalink)

Instrumental Track

Been debating whether to upload this for a while - put it together as a backing track for some holiday video I shot a couple of years back.  Interested to know what folks think - it's a very simple chord progression that I couldn't get out of my head so I just overlaid a piano track and originally it had a guitar all the way through but I ditched that and just put a solo on the end.

http://soundcloud.com/andyb01/tidal-flow  
I'm no expert with Sonar HS but I dabble when I have time.  Some constructive criticism on what to work on would be helpful 

Thanks

Andy

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Six-core AMD, Twin SSD. Instruments: Roland A88 and Taylor 314CE all through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. More ambition than talent.

6 Replies Related Threads

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Instrumental Track 2010/07/28 21:36:29 (permalink)
    I clicked play but it wouldn't play. I must be doing something wrong.  I'll try again later. 
    AndyB01
    Re:Instrumental Track 2010/07/31 13:29:59 (permalink)
    Cheers

Just tested it and seems OK now

Andy

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Six-core AMD, Twin SSD. Instruments: Roland A88 and Taylor 314CE all through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. More ambition than talent.

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Instrumental Track 2010/07/31 16:21:05 (permalink)
    Cool--it worked this time. :-)

Great start--it drew me in from the beginning. 

The drums were a bit of a surprise coming that early, but I soon got used to and enjoyed them.  I like the way you add instruments--it's a nice build.  The piano seems to be a tiny bit ahead of the beat though, in some places. 

Nice smooth composition.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Instrumental Track 2010/07/31 17:38:27 (permalink)
    Nice ambient melody going on...... I also caught a few timing issues in the song.... in quite a few places.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:Instrumental Track 2010/07/31 21:13:04 (permalink)
    Do we get to see the video? Maybe you told us, but I haven't read the other answers yet because I didn't want to be biased.

I can only tell if this piece works if I get to see it with the video. Otherwise, apart from the video, my thoughts (which don't amount to a hill of beans, mind you):

1. Upbeat. Tonal and pleasant. Soothing.

2. The way you came in--bare bones, and then piling other instruments on gradually--worked. It kept my interest and made me want to hear more.

3.I loved the way the piano part broadened as the piece developed.

4. That electric guitar was great. Great sound, great melody line. It wasn't as loud as the piano, though.

5. Some wimpy instrument came after the piano and before the guitar. It played a single line of melody with no heart, soul, or beauty. It lacked the richness of the other instruments. It was so quiet, I had to listen hard. It was quieter than the electric guitar and way wquieter than the piano. And it played again after the guitar, to my dislike.

Er, what was it...some organ something? I didn't like it. I felt it detracted from an otherwise lush and classy piece.

I enjoyed listening to this. Good harmonies, instument lines, and an over-all very professional-sounding piece.

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    AndyB01
    Re:Instrumental Track 2010/08/01 05:06:31 (permalink)
    Thanks all for the comments - completely agree that the mix could be tighter that's probably my lack of experience with Sonar HS (i don't use it as often as I would like) combined the limits of my musicianship - lol.

Video was just family holiday stuff but I particularly used it to support coastal shots with which it seemed to work well with the visual of a few crashing waves.

That 'wimpy instrument' - as you very accurately describe it - was a pad which, on reflection, just didn't work.  It needed to be a fuller sound.  I just wanted to mix it up from using all piano but you learn as you go I guess.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment.  Really appreciated.

Andy

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1