UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available)

Author
meneedit
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2010/07/28 00:27:13 (permalink)

UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available)

Hi guys, I'm new to these forums....

before I continue I'll just get you to have a look at these threads:

http://www.ultimate-guita...owthread.php?t=1336249

http://www.ultimate-guita...owthread.php?t=1338762
------------------------------

To sum things up I have bought the UA-4FX unit and I have it set up but I am now having trouble with a different aspect of guitar rig.

Using the UA4FX, Guitar rig only shows two inputs, which are "IN" and "IN(R)".

Strangely enough, it is putting both my synthesizer and my guitar through the one input. All i want to put through it is the guitar (but i want FL Studio to play the synthesizer melody dry without guitar rig picking it up). Is there any solution to this?

I really really hope there is because I don't want to have bought this unit for it to be useless.

Thank you all for your time.

P.S.

And another little problem that I have come across in the last 5 minutes...

When I play the guitar through guitar rig it plays the dry sound on top of the post-sound in Guitar Rig. Is there a way this can be fixed too?

I never had to worry about it with my old setup because:

1. I was able to mute that particular line-in through the Audigy volume controls.

2. The volume of the dry signal was nowhere near as high as the guitar rig volume.
post edited by meneedit - 2010/07/28 00:29:35

19 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/28 02:29:48 (permalink)
    meneedit

When I play the guitar through guitar rig it plays the dry sound on top of the post-sound in Guitar Rig. Is there a way this can be fixed too?

I never had to worry about it with my old setup because:

1. I was able to mute that particular line-in through the Audigy volume controls.

2. The volume of the dry signal was nowhere near as high as the guitar rig volume.

That sounds like direct monitoring is enabled on your UA-4FX. Direct monitoring will output whatever is coming in through the inputs. Very good for zero latency monitoring. Check and see if it is enabled and if so, disable it so you don't hear your unaffected guitar sound mixed in with the Guitar Rig sounds.

Check Page 16 of your owners manual for more info.

"Input monitor switch
    This selects whether the audio signals received from all input jacks will be sent to
    the headphone jack and line output jacks
    If this switch is ON, the input signals will be output. If you are using the ASIO driver in
    Advanced mode, you can set this switch to AUTO so that your software can switch input
    monitoring on/off
    (Refer to ➔ Advanced operation “Using ASIO Direct Monitor (Windows/Mac OS 9)” (p. 37))

If you are not using the ASIO driver, this will
    be off; the input signals will not be output.
    Normally, you should leave this ON."
    meneedit
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 00:31:04 (permalink)
    thanks so much for that mate i'll look into all that. hopefully i'll be able to overcome both problems.
    Chappel
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 01:00:07 (permalink)
    meneedit

thanks so much for that mate i'll look into all that. hopefully i'll be able to overcome both problems.

I hope it helps. Also, where the manual says the software can switch direct monitoring on and off... that isn't in Sonar. You can toggle direct monitoring on/off by opening the UA-4FX icon in the Control Panel. At least that's how it works for my UA-1G.
    meneedit
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 01:49:57 (permalink)

well i've had a look on a few other threads and in the manual and i cant find a place to switch input monitoring off. I dont know if i have the advanced driver but my driver settings (in control panel) look like this:

There is nothing in this window for "input monitoring".

I should also state that i am using guitar rig standalone. I don't want to use guitar rig in FL studio for live stuff.

EDIT: I have flicked the input monitoring switch at the bottom to auto and I think maybe it might have helped with the guitar but I still have the problem of guitar rig putting the synthesizer and the guitar through at the same time.
    post edited by meneedit - 2010/07/29 02:29:38
    Chappel
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 02:21:02 (permalink)
    Is the Input Monitor switch set to AUTO? In the manual it looks like it's on the bottom of the device. The option may not even show unless the device is set to AUTO.

Just saw your edit regarding the switch. I'll go through all your info and the manual and see if I can see anything regarding your other problem.
    post edited by Chappel - 2010/07/29 02:23:16
    Chappel
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 02:30:53 (permalink)
    Your device has only two inputs/outputs. 2 mono or 1 stereo pair. If you want to keep them separate you will have to put one on the left and one on the right... if I'm understanding your situation... which I'm not sure I am.
    meneedit
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 02:31:06 (permalink)
    Thanks heaps I really appreciate it. is that direct monitoring checkbox the same thing? Because i unchecked that and i think that it's solved the first problem :)
    post edited by meneedit - 2010/07/29 02:39:18
    meneedit
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 02:38:09 (permalink)
    Chappel

Your device has only two inputs/outputs. 2 mono or 1 stereo pair. If you want to keep them separate you will have to put one on the left and one on the right... if I'm understanding your situation... which I'm not sure I am.

well i've got the guitar plugged into the front (very left jack):

and the synthesizer is plugged into the back through RCA's:

maybe I just need to update to guitar rig 4 so that it shows more than one input.
    Chappel
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 02:39:40 (permalink)
    What direct monitoring does it it sends whatever is coming in through the Inputs right through the Outputs. This is a separate audio path than the one that goes Through your computer. It is so you can hear whatever is connected to the Inputs without any latency. If you are recording your guitar and are using Guitar Rig as an FX, if you have Direct monitoring enabled then you will hear the sound of your unaffected guitar in addition to the sound of the guitar after it is processed by Guitar Rig (assuming you have input echo enabled in Sonar). Direct Monitoring and Input Echo are two separate processes.
    Chappel
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 02:51:59 (permalink)
    meneedit

Chappel

well i've got the guitar plugged into the front (very left jack): 

and the synthesizer is plugged into the back through RCA's:

maybe I just need to update to guitar rig 4 so that it shows more than one input.

The 1/4 inputs/outputs and the rca inputs/outputs share the same audio path. If you want them separate and able to listen/record them independently you will have to put one on the left and one on the right. They way you have it, the synth is connected to both left and right inputs, and the guitar is connected to the left input. If you record the left input, or the input in stereo, you are going to record both the synth and the guitar. If you want to just listen to the synth while you record your guitar, connect the synth's Left output (it will be both left and right channels) to the Right rca input and leave the guitar connected to the left.

The audio track you use for the guitar needs to use only the left input. The audio track you use for the synth needs to use only the Right input. This way can you listen to both at the same time but only record one.
    post edited by Chappel - 2010/07/29 02:55:44
    meneedit
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 02:54:58 (permalink)
    IT WORKS!!

thanks mate you've been a big help.

My only concern now is that the left channel of the synth is not plugged into anything and a lot of presets on my synth (Alesis ION) are in stereo with panning etc. I suppose that doesnt matter though. I mainly use it for basslines.

Thanks again, I dont how you worked this stuff out but i am very grateful :) :) :)
    post edited by meneedit - 2010/07/29 03:03:11
    Chappel
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 02:59:08 (permalink)
    meneedit

sorry i posted too late... editing again soon...

I'm still not sure I completely understand what is happening. Are you using Guitar Rig as a stand alone app or are you using it as a Plugin in an audio track's FX bin? If I were you I would use GR as a plugin, and not worry about GR's inputs, but on the input of the audio track I was recording my guitar on.
    meneedit
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 03:06:04 (permalink)
    well its ok its all sorted now....

I'm using it stand alone. I think whether I use it as standalone or through FL studio, i would still have to do what you said with the cables.
    Chappel
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 03:32:44 (permalink)
    meneedit

well i've had a look on a few other threads and in the manual and i cant find a place to switch input monitoring off. I dont know if i have the advanced driver but my driver settings (in control panel) look like this:

There is nothing in this window for "input monitoring".

I should also state that i am using guitar rig standalone. I don't want to use guitar rig in FL studio for live stuff.

EDIT: I have flicked the input monitoring switch at the bottom to auto and I think maybe it might have helped with the guitar but I still have the problem of guitar rig putting the synthesizer and the guitar through at the same time.

ASIO Direct Monitor is input monitoring. With that box checked whatever is connected to the inputs will be sent to the outputs and will be heard in addition to the audio coming from the computer.
    meneedit
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 03:52:04 (permalink)
    i cant believe this ****....

Here I am thinking that I was buying something fantastic and i have these problems....

now i go into FL studio and the only way for the synthesizer to play the MIDI melody is to put input monitoring on (via the physical switch).... but then I cant play through guitar rig at the same time because it gets the dry signal as well!!!!!!

So then i try to set up the guitar and synthesizer through FL studio as you said but when I click on input in the FX slots... nothing shows up!

What a nightmare! I thought the UA-4FX would be really effective and compatible.
    post edited by meneedit - 2010/07/29 03:53:28
    Chappel
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 04:13:08 (permalink)
    I am not familiar with FL Studio. My experience is with Cakewalk programs. What you want to do is very easy to do with Sonar so there is probably a way to do it with FL Studio. Sorry I couldn't help more.
    meneedit
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 05:24:10 (permalink)
    thats ok i appreciate the help. hopefully somebody here uses FL studio
    meneedit
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/29 21:45:54 (permalink)
    It's not looking good I think I'm gonna have to get a refund on this thing.

I came across yet another problem....

I tried playing something in guitar rig and recording it through audition and it only records the dry signal.
    Chappel
    Re:UA-4FX through guitar rig. (Only one input available) 2010/07/30 01:05:39 (permalink)
    meneedit

It's not looking good I think I'm gonna have to get a refund on this thing.

I came across yet another problem....

I tried playing something in guitar rig and recording it through audition and it only records the dry signal.

I'm not sure how that could be the fault of your audio interface.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1