Latency and Freezing - Missing a trick?

Author
clogdivermusic
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 185
2010/07/28 05:03:28 (permalink)

Latency and Freezing - Missing a trick?

I dont often get latency when recording and I cant say I have issues with having to increase the sample rate, or at least that does not help my issue in any way shape or form.

Recording all tracks, say 10 tracks of audio.  All fine until I start adding a little convolution reverb here.. a little guitar rig there.   Nothing too unusual.

I go to drop a new vocal track next day having saved and gone to bed and I have this horrible latent vocal in the new track. Even if there is no effect on that track itself. 

There is nothing hardware or driver wrong, if I open another song I have no issue.  Its done it on a few songs

So the question is,... is there something I am doing wrong or in the setup of Sonar?

I dont often (ever) do it but I wondered about Freezing Tracks. Is this the fix? I must be honest I have never had to use the function and not 100% sure what it does and if that sounds like a reason to use it.

www.oxygenstudio.co.uk
Sonar Producer X1b
I7 2.66  6GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit 
Motu 8 Pre-> ADAT Octane's / Lots of Squiggly boxes that cost me loads of cash and I don't use.

8 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Latency and Freezing - Missing a trick? 2010/07/28 06:00:50 (permalink)
    Convolution Reverbs are CPU hungry beasts.

You should really only start to use them in your project after you've finished tracking.

I quite often bypass ALL Fx if I have to add a new track to a busy project - give it a try, see how it helps.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    clogdivermusic
    Re:Latency and Freezing - Missing a trick? 2010/07/28 06:12:50 (permalink)
    If I bypass them it makes no difference. You have to remove them to get rid of the latency for some reason.
    I have always worked in this way, cant help myself trying to hear a final project before its ready. 
    Its only recently I noticed this problem. I cant say I ever noticed it before and I am pretty much using it as I would have for ever.  I had a quad xeon before this box and I never noticed it on that but that was XP and probably .5 of a version before. :)

www.oxygenstudio.co.uk
    Sonar Producer X1b
    I7 2.66  6GB RAM
    Windows 7 64bit 
    Motu 8 Pre-> ADAT Octane's / Lots of Squiggly boxes that cost me loads of cash and I don't use.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Latency and Freezing - Missing a trick? 2010/07/28 06:32:05 (permalink)
    clogdivermusic

I dont often (ever) do it but I wondered about Freezing Tracks. Is this the fix? I must be honest I have never had to use the function and not 100% sure what it does and if that sounds like a reason to use it.

Freezing a track temporarily applies all the FX and plugins, automation and whatever so that the track plays as a wav file with much less drain on the computer's processing power. I highly recommend using the freeze feature if you have several plugins that are eating into your processing power and causing problems. Nothing in the track is changed and if you want to make changes just unfreeze the track. Any changes you make to the frozen track will be undone when the track is unfrozen.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Latency and Freezing - Missing a trick? 2010/07/28 06:36:46 (permalink)
    I quite understand why you'd want to hear your project develop, I like to do this as well, sort of a "track & mix" philosophy.

Hell, I even mix into my mastering chain on the master bus, but if it starts to creak when  adding new treakcs, bypassing Fx is usally the way out, followed by decreasing my latency settings, and playing around with the buffers.

It sounds as though your Automatic Delay Compensation is screwed up somewhere.

Check this:

New Features in SONAR 8.3.1:
    • Live input plug-in delay compensation (PDC) override
      • Delay compensation can now be disabled on live tracks during playback/recording to reduce latency 

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    clogdivermusic
    Re:Latency and Freezing - Missing a trick? 2010/07/28 09:48:28 (permalink)
    thats it... never played with the PDC override.  Thanks...  fixed

www.oxygenstudio.co.uk
    Sonar Producer X1b
    I7 2.66  6GB RAM
    Windows 7 64bit 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Latency and Freezing - Missing a trick? 2010/07/28 10:19:16 (permalink)
    Great!

Glad it worked.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Latency and Freezing - Missing a trick? 2010/07/28 10:49:40 (permalink)
    Another trick to track and mix is to put low CPU, non latency plugs in as temps.  I do this with reverb, esp. - get the feel but not the drain.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Latency and Freezing - Missing a trick? 2010/07/28 12:05:35 (permalink)
    Another trick to track and mix is to put low CPU, non latency plugs in as temps

AT, hey can you elaborate on this. I want to learn about this. I never knew something like that was possible

Thanks,
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1