Recomandation for videogame music

Author
Scarpelius
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/07/28 10:32:41 (permalink)

Recomandation for videogame music

Hello,

I would like to make music for my game and i was looking at site, trying to understand what i need and what i don't.
I am interested in software solutions.
The game is a hobby project at this stage so,  I am trying to keep the costs as low as i can.
I saw the Music Creator 5 cost only 34,99$ but i am a noob in this area so i suspect is not going to be enough for what i need.

Could someone tell me if i need more than Music Creator and what?

Many thanks.

5 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Recomandation for videogame music 2010/07/28 10:37:48 (permalink)
    we would need to know more about what you DO need!

MC5 is a very capable program.  it's main limitations are stereo input recording only (but depending on your soundcard you may be limited to 2 inputs anyway) and 24 per project FX limit and 8 synth limit. 

I would go ahead and buy MC and work with it for a while and if it doesn't meet your needs then you can upgrade to SHS or Sonar.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Recomandation for videogame music 2010/07/28 15:18:52 (permalink)
    Hi,

I wanted to make a suggestion here ... but since it was beyond software, and it appears the thread was about that, I didn't feel that my suggestion would be as significant.

I do think that MC, Sonar and some of those "popular" programs are more geared to simple/popular music, and that what you might want and need is a bit more extravagant and detailed for your purposes.

Might want to check some programs specifically designed for soundtrax and stuff ... they act/react very differently than DAW's do. I would imagine that with stuff for soundtracks you also need to mix and remix a lot and adjust and somehow I am not sure that MC5 is going to be sufficient for your purposes.

It may, however, be a great learning step.  And a rather inexpensive one at that! In general, the older soundtrack software used for film and television was mostly about mixing what you already had ... NOT ... create new music as much. The DAW's these days are mostly about creating music and a variation on mixing that is designed for live play a lot more than it is for a defined and clean process that soundtracks required when they are so time specific and detailed. For composition and adjusting, a DAW would be easier to do this than the older, more established, soundtrax software that goes for thousands of dollars out there.

Most video games, whose music I remember, I suppose that it is hard to miss Final Fantasy with some very nice music ... but even then, too much of it was used in loops and simply too repetitive, which was the ting that turned me off the most for almost all of those console games. Even World of Warcraft has better music even though it still was looped, but it was longer and different in different places.

This is as much as I can help with, and hopefully not confuse. I have matched music to film quite a few times in Super-8 ... and I can see where a DAW might help if you are "creating music", but it would be very difficult if you already have a visual to match the music you have with a DAW ... without cutting something in the music along the way as far as I can tell.

I'm working on some stuff I filmed and adding music to it that I created. Mostly I am creating music for it, which means I can cheat and slow down or play with it some more ... until the moment comes to change/cut. This was done on a video at this time for learning purposes.
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2010/07/28 15:35:58

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:Recomandation for videogame music 2010/07/28 15:45:26 (permalink)
    Scarpelius

Hello,

I would like to make music for my game and i was looking at site, trying to understand what i need and what i don't.
    I am interested in software solutions.
    The game is a hobby project at this stage so,  I am trying to keep the costs as low as i can.
    I saw the Music Creator 5 cost only 34,99$ but i am a noob in this area so i suspect is not going to be enough for what i need.

Could someone tell me if i need more than Music Creator and what?

Many thanks.

well if you want to create your own music thats great  -

but maybe easier to just get the game out there - and use music thats all ready created - get a license to use it -  and cakewalk pyro or audio crator whatever they are calling it now has some editing software in it to cut music clips or loop them and what not

otherwise - I guess go ahead learn how to run and use a complete DAW program - which could be very time consuming - in particular to the amount of time you have in your head of what it will take -

then on your second game you create - it might go faster with the music part - WHAT!?

PS I just realized I didn't answer your question. I dunno what the hell you need to add music to a video game other than the music - WHAT!?
    post edited by Mooch4056 - 2010/07/28 15:47:51

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Recomandation for videogame music 2010/07/28 15:53:22 (permalink)
    depends on the language your writing the game for and also the machine (I assume PC)

I would say get / learn how to use  a mod-tracker , if it's C++ simply because you can insert fx on the fly and it's far less CPU intensive than playing a full audio stream back.. also the fact you don't have to have a decent asio card to use it.

http://openmpt.com/

http://www.renoise.com/

there are many advantages to using mod's instead of just wav/ogg/mp3 ... 1 far smaller download size and far less CPU intensive.

http://retrospec.sgn.net/

a lot of games on there feature music with mods... check lunar jetman /atic atac / pen pen / wizball to give you an idea

post edited by Fog - 2010/07/28 15:57:06
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Recomandation for videogame music 2010/07/28 23:37:37 (permalink)
    While the program is called "Music Creator", it won't create the music for you. It's a recording program, so you'll have to either play keyboards or know how to write music to create music with MC 5.
    Or know how to play every real instrument you want in your songs and record those on audio tracks.
    As written above, you can also import loops and samples and piece together songs without knowing a thing about music.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1