UA-101, Sonar 6 PE, Win 7 64-bit and sound card mess!!!

Author
pbajon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2010/07/28 11:00:14 (permalink)

UA-101, Sonar 6 PE, Win 7 64-bit and sound card mess!!!

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find the solution to my very new problem that I have never encountered throughout my journey with Sonar since its beginning. Here is the story;

I am running Sonar 6 PE on a brand new PC (Win7 Ultimate, 12GB RAM, i7 CPU) with a build-in motherboard integrated HD (5.1) sound card. Before the Sonar installation everything was working great and I had a sound coming from the line-out plug of the integrated on-board (motherboard) sound card. Then I have installed the Edirol UA-101 new driver for Win 7 64-bit (my operating system is Win 7 64-bit). The installation of the UA-101 driver went without any problems. Then I have installed the Sonar 6 PE. When it came to the audio configuration (Options - Audio) within the Sonar I have noticed that within the Audio dialog box there was no possibility to choose the build-in (Motherboard)) sound card (a system card). This build-in sound card was simply not listed as an option. There was only one audio playback device listed (instead of two: original system sound card and Edirol's UA-101) - UA-101. 

After closing the Sonar and unplugging the UA-101 from the USB port I tried to play a song via Windows Media Player (using the integrated system sound card) and to my greatest surprise there was no sound coming out of the speakers that were connected to the build-in sound card's line-out. Before the Sonar and UA-101 driver's installation there were no problems with getting any sound through the attached speakers. Through the Control Panel I have checked the build-in sound card driver configuration and the computer says that "This device works properly". So, why this internal sound card would not produce any sound through the speakers?  I have checked everything, including the internal mixer and stuff. Nothing is muted. According to the computer this device works without any problems. What could be wrong? 

Have you ever experienced this kind of problems? I just wonder if this might be some kind of conflict between the newly installed UA-101 driver and the original build-in sound card driver. Maybe the new UA-101 driver "disengaged" the original audio driver? I don't know and searching for answer. 

Thanks for your help,

Paul

My rig;

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
12GB RAM
Western Digital 640GB HD
Western Digital 1TB HD
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66 GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core processor
Sonar 6 PE
Edirol UA-101

post edited by pbajon - 2010/07/28 11:16:59

2 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:UA-101, Sonar 6 PE, Win 7 64-bit and sound card mess!!! 2010/07/28 11:21:06 (permalink)
    What Driver mode are you using in Sonar? ASIO? If so, non-ASIO capable audio devices won't show up in the list. If you want your integrated audio device to play back through the speakers connected to it you have to make it the default playback device in the Control Panel>Sound>Playback Tab.

Unless you have a good reason to use your integrated sound device in Sonar you really don't need it.
    Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    Re:UA-101, Sonar 6 PE, Win 7 64-bit and sound card mess!!! 2010/08/01 20:36:58 (permalink)
    Chappel

What Driver mode are you using in Sonar? ASIO? If so, non-ASIO capable audio devices won't show up in the list. If you want your integrated audio device to play back through the speakers connected to it you have to make it the default playback device in the Control Panel>Sound>Playback Tab.

Unless you have a good reason to use your integrated sound device in Sonar you really don't need it.

Not only do you not need it (the onboard sound), but you can use the UA 101 as your system sound device. When I play music using media player, it just runs through the 101 and out through my studio monitors.

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1