Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous"

Author
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
2010/07/29 06:02:56 (permalink)

Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous"

A song here which started of as an attempt to fake a nylon guitar and after putting a few bits together it turned into a pretty nice tune.

I started doing some Charles Aznavour type talk-overs on it and then cooked up some words which prompted my partner Kerry (the Mermaid) to try her hand at BGV's for it, I borrowed a beat from another R&B tune I was messing around with added some bass and before we knew it we ended up with this.

Featuring the Virtual:

Jonathan Carp = Nylon Guitar
The Mermaid = Vocals
The Bouy = The rest.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9459921

btw although this was just a fun production I still need a ton of help treating vocal tracks (as well as with singing 'em) so any feedback on anything here is welcome.

Thank you!

Updated: 31st July '10, thanks Rick I amended my vox exactly according to your instructions, I took the wild eq cuts from the bottom end added a little bit of spatial processing and a dollop of verb plus a bit of saturation for warmth. I'm happier with this one at least...
post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/31 12:42:58

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy

24 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/07/29 06:12:08 (permalink)
    Having a listen on the mail PC through Teac concentric speaker, sounds reasonable.  The spoken vocal sounds in a different space, but will need to listen in the studio for a real listen.

Thanks for sharing.

Second listen update.

Guitar pleasant the mix of spoken and sung vocals is interesting, as the Wookiee vocal tract is not capable of singing in the range of human hearing any observation about singing is probably not appropriate.  Still feel that there are points where the spoken sounds/feels in a different space.

Cheers
    post edited by Wookiee - 2010/07/29 10:20:21

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/07/29 08:36:37 (permalink)
    Jon,
    Beautiful song.   I like the spoken/sung interplay.  Love the arrangement and the Mermaid is just perfect.  Your vox are really good (singing, not the mix) and i think they are needing some warmth or some low end or maybe a smidge of spacial processing.  To me they sound like they are thinned out and too lo-fi (for this song) especially in the singing parts. 
    Very classy song.
    post edited by No How - 2010/07/29 08:37:39

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/07/29 10:45:20 (permalink)
    Very Nice Tune. For some reason, I think I would like to hear an accordion accompanying this sweet song. Kind of like a Kevin Ayers tune. Really nice!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/07/29 16:45:47 (permalink)
    Pretty nice tune, mon. I'm on the crappy speakers but it sounds good there so it probably sounds good in general. I like it. Maybe some small instrumental accessorizing around the voice in the spoken parts would add a little more to it or something? Not sure.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/07/29 23:21:41 (permalink)
    I love it, Jon!  I guess I'll forgive you one more time for continue leaving me even farther in the dust. 

Anyway, this is great!  Guitar playing sounds very convincing.  :-)  Sounds like you've got you a great singing partner there too. (wtg, Kerry!!)  I can only imagine how many more songs we'll be hearing from you now that you've got your own resident vocalist.  Not to mention the fact that you do a great job yourself! 

Like some have mentioned, she could stand to come closer to you I think.  I know she's singing bgv's, but it's like she's a little too far back or something. 

Drums fit so perfectly I hardly noticed them, which is actually a compliment, IYKWIM.  :-)  Keep up the great work, Jon!  :-)
    savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/07/31 00:06:55 (permalink)
    I immediately found myself waiting for the movie to begin (where's the popcorn?) This sets the perfect soundscape for a real tearjerker.  Lovely guitar accompaniment and melodies.  Drums fit like a glove. Male voice should be eq'd warmer and breathier, a bit cold sounding as is. Boost the beautiful bgv so we can feel her emotion.  I really enjoyed this listen.  Now I'm waiting for the credits to roll......(where's my popcorn)...........great ride,thanks................Ron

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/07/31 11:02:37 (permalink)
    Cool delivery and down-tempo feel. Nice guitar playing too, very convincing. I like how you altered between the sung and spoken parts. Kerry does a great job on the bgv's. Encourage her to do more recording. I listened a few times and really like this tune. Nice work.
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/07/31 14:32:38 (permalink)
    Hi Jon,

This is beautifully put together, the mix of semi-spoken, Robert Wyatt-esque vocals and Kerry's backing vocals work a treat. Drums and bass are right in the pocket, allowing the rest to float above. Quite convincing nylon guitar too, although in the break I was waiting for the 'guitarist' to get excited and put in some hammer-ons/trills.

One crit if I may - the lyric section in the chorus;

From having to face, the pain again and again.
    Move on now lets stop hurting, hurting ourselves.

- doesn't seem as graceful as the rest, you're tripping over the words a little there.

That aside - I really liked this.

James
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/01 06:22:39 (permalink)
    Beautiful melody and poem. Sounds like a Julio Iglesias song.  I particularly like the guitar solo at the end.

Here, in Memories don't fade near as quickly as the view, it sounds over-stuffed with words.  The word near sounds awkward (it should read nearly, too). If you take it out (I did when I played it again and sang along), the song flows just as well. It just seems so cluttered with it.

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/01 23:55:51 (permalink)
    That talking voice reminds me a lot of Jim Stafford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TQ3pC9W1o4

Cool piece

Ron
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/02 05:32:11 (permalink)
    original and quirky, and you get away with it! in parts it almost reminds me of how Philip layers his vocals. guitars sound pretty convincing dude! has a kinda end-of-summer feel to it. sweet.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/02 10:38:21 (permalink)

Hey Jon, this is great stuff my friend.

I got a definite Dire Straits/Private Investigations vibe when the song started, but as it progesses you make it your own, and Kerry's backing vocals are the icing on the cake.

Top drawer mix/production (as expected!)

Noisy quiet bugger

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/02 11:29:26 (permalink)
    Awesome!
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/02 13:48:34 (permalink)
    Jon,
    It sounds superbomissimo.  Nice and rounded edges on all the vocals....beautiful.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/03 18:52:01 (permalink)
    Last night the server was having issues....

so here I be.... super song.... bring up the mermaid some.... and rewrite the chorus... some of the lines are trying to say too many words..... boil it down to the essence and let it flow smoothly.

nice chops on the nylon...

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/05 14:15:22 (permalink)
    That nylon git is very believable Jon! Your vox is 'honest'! BGV's work very well too. I liked when the bass came in and started the build. Listening on the monitors and the mix / placement is excellent, especially the strummed guitar and piano.

You don't hear songs like this anymore, so, it was a treat for me to listen. A lover's tune for sure.

Larry
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/05 17:38:10 (permalink)
    Nice, Jon.  Your vocal is so interesting.  You make it work.  Hey, who is the Mermaid?  Cool song!!  Oh, is that not a real guitar?  If not, it coul;d be the best midi guitar I've heard!
    post edited by evadianepug - 2010/08/05 17:39:28

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/05 18:46:45 (permalink)
    I like the idea here a lot, makes me think of a bygone era with classic cars, beautiful people and sunny days, but some of the male vocal delivery sounds a little clumsy at times to me - as if there are too many words to get through ? Might benefit from a tweak or two lyrically. Female vox sound good although I agree that it would sound better overall if both singers sounded like they were in the same space, but maybe that wasn't your intention ?

Guitar sounds very good - what you using ?
    Jonbouy
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/07 09:04:42 (permalink)
    John: Thanks for the listen and  the comments.

Rick: Thank you too for the comments I made some amendments based on those.

James: Yes I think some accordion and perhaps some garlic would add to the French flavour.

Dean: Many thanks for popping by, some embellishments during the spoken passages could be a good idea.

Janet: Thanks for the further encouragement, it's nice to get a tune done for a change rather than keeping myself bogged down in the production stuff.  Kerry sure appreciates the props on her first vocal attempt and she was supposed to be a wistful voice in the distance here but I almost thought of dropping my vocal she worked out so well.

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/08 17:52:38 (permalink)
    Great sound production and arrangement... a little pitch correction on the singing would go a long way in polishing this... there's no shame... I use it all the time...

the guitar is to die for... 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/10 10:18:38 (permalink)
    Exquisite, delicious, delightful!

On 1st listen, my ears crave Melodyne/Autotune/V-vocal ... in the 2 choruses (lead vox) ...  That would send this soaring sky-high, to my macho ears.  Of course I'm of the military school, "real men love melodyne" ... so I may be wrong.

The love poetics are powerful.  Message and delivery are fit perfectly.

Guitar middle is exceeding lovely, crisp, ear-enticing, lovely.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    paulo
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/15 13:42:37 (permalink)
    That's alright - don't mention it..............................oh you didn't......... oh well, just pretend I never said anything.......oh you did .........as you were then.
    Jonbouy
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/15 14:05:32 (permalink)
    paulo

That's alright - don't mention it..............................oh you didn't......... oh well, just pretend I never said anything.......oh you did .........as you were then.

Well being as you bumped it back to the top...

Ron: Thanks a lot, that was the vibe I was after.

Bill: Thanks man, nice to hear you back around too.

James: Yes, it's difficult to sing with my teeth in.

Peggy: I agree 'near' is redundant there. Maybe I'll retrack it now I'm more familiar with the song.

Ron: Thanks muchly.

Mark: Getting away with it is my forte thanks for dropping by.

Strummy:  Thanks for that ol' pal.

10Ten: Awesome works for me.

Rick: Thanks for coming by again.

Herb: Yes, the too many syllables was pretty much a stylistic choice as I was originally going to write a French version and those kind of songs seem to have more syllables than line space.

Larry: I'm glad you got the vibe and I appreciate the notes on the sounds.

Warren: It's a midi guitar for sure I'm using a free refill for the sounds, cool huh?

Paulo: Sorry I didn't reply earlier but the track had disappeared off the radar and I was a bit loath to bump it back up to the top, but yes my vocal skills need honing a whole bunch, the use of so many syllables was deliberate but I need to work some more to be able to handle it.  The guitar was done in Reason using a free refill by Ueupe.  It is available via the 'Reasonstation' site.

Frank: Yes I'm pretty sure I'm going have to investigate some serious pitch correction methods. Thanks man.

Philip: As I said I shall have to look into the whole autotune thing.  I'm glad you liked the tune.

Paulo: What can I say?...   Here's the link to that refill I mentioned it's the bottom one on the list.

http://www.mediafire.com/ueupe
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/08/15 14:10:57

paulo
    Re:Le Bouy et la Mermaid - "Photo de Vous" 2010/08/15 14:14:43 (permalink)
    Hey, no worries, just pulling your leg a little ;)

Don't be ashamed of bumping it up again, it's good and it's not gonna get heard halfway down page two !

I was hoping you were gonna say Real Guitar for the guitar bit, as I'm on the verge of buying that and it would have been the clincher for me. I wasn't trying to criticise your vocal skills as such, that would, to quote a fine old english phrase..... be batting on a sticky wicket or for the scottish contingent... henging my jaycket on a shaky nail, it just seemd like you were struggling to fit all the words in in places, that's all.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1