Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness...

Author
mattplaysguitar
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1992
2010/07/29 07:05:34 (permalink)

Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness...

I heard about an interesting experiment by a man who wrote a book on the plasticity of our brain. He said that subjects blindfolded for only 24 hours showed activity in the visual cortex, even though there was no visual stimulation. The brain had begun to start using the part specified for sight for other senses, such as touch and auditory. After the blindfold was removed, subjects went back to normal pretty quickly. I also found another experiment where subjects went blind for 5 days and it took only 24 hours for the effects to wear off once they took off the blindfold.

So, I thought some time in a few months it might be fun to try this! I will try and come up with some listsening tests I can do and get a friend to make lots of tracks with very subtle eq or compression changes, and I can try and pick what has been changed, before and after blindfolding. If it shows a real noticeable improvement in my hearing ability, I might do it for a final check of my album when I finish it next year for some real critical listening.

So, just wondering on any thoughts people might have, or suggestions of tests I could maybe perform before and after. It's a little difficult to make tests which I won't learn to some degree during the first listen though.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

12 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/07/29 08:01:45 (permalink)
    that would be interesting!  I'd love to hear your results from this when you're done. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/07/29 11:18:02 (permalink)
    I've been TRYING to go blind for years.

It's fun trying, but it just doesn't seem to be happening very fast.  And all this dang hair on my palm is making it increasingly hard to play guitar.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/07/29 16:46:44 (permalink)
    At work I often have trouble focusing enough to write code in my cubical which is adjacent to a conference table and a few vociferous neighbors. My solution for years has been to use some hearing protection headphones (no sound, just the type they use for shooting ranges). They blot out everything, almost like sensory depravation. (I hope if the fire alarm goes off, someone comes to get me). I notice after I wear them for a few hours that my hearing seems much more sensitive for quite a while afterwards. I may try this at home to break up a long mixing session.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/07/29 16:59:59 (permalink)
    feedback50

At work I often have trouble focusing enough to write code in my cubical which is adjacent to a conference table and a few vociferous neighbors. My solution for years has been to use some hearing protection headphones (no sound, just the type they use for shooting ranges). They blot out everything, almost like sensory depravation. (I hope if the fire alarm goes off, someone comes to get me). I notice after I wear them for a few hours that my hearing seems much more sensitive for quite a while afterwards. I may try this at home to break up a long mixing session.

that's an interesting observation as well.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/07/29 17:36:24 (permalink)
    I wonder if going blind for a period of time, or over repeated episodes would have any function on improving vision.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/07/29 18:41:04 (permalink)
    marcos69

I wonder if going blind for a period of time, or over repeated episodes would have any function on improving vision.

I'm not sure drunken stupors qualify buddy.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/07/29 21:25:50 (permalink)
    matt.... don't try driving your car....

feedback.... that;s why the fire alarm horns have strobes on them.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/07/31 15:58:05 (permalink)
    Do you have to wear the blindfold for 24 hours before starting the experiment?
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/07/31 17:16:31 (permalink)
    rsp@odyssey.net

marcos69

I'm not sure drunken stupors qualify buddy.

Randy

I was only thinking of the science.  You think I enjoy it?

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/08/01 16:09:58 (permalink)
    I just watched a documentary about Tom Dowd (Tom Dowd and the Language of Music), and he said Ray Charles encouraged him to close his eyes to hear the music better.  :-)

(Anyone that's recording today would enjoy seeing the documentary, btw. AND come to appreciate more what we have available to us and how Tom helped the process along.)
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/08/01 20:23:55 (permalink)
    I've noticed that closing my eyes when listening to an orchestra helps me focus on the music much better.... at least until I become overly self-conscious about people thinking I'm asleep.  But yes, watching the orchestra seems to distract from the music.  Sort of like the difference between watching a movie and listening to its soundtrack.

I'm also eager to hear (er 'read') how your experiment comes out. 

BTW, you'll want your friend around to help with other things besides eq & compression.  ;-)   Which reminds me, I've heard of blind people using the change of tone to recognize when a glass of liquid is almost full.  So you may learn some other things too.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    Re:Going blind for a day to increase auditory awareness... 2010/08/02 04:09:53 (permalink)
    Sounds like an interesting experiment, please post your experiences!

I almost unconciously always close my eyes when listening to a mix that I'm working on, which I've only just realised when thinking about it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1