Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity)

Author
ilearn
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/07/29 12:34:45 (permalink)

Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity)

First of all, thanks for checking this thread out and taking the time to help me.

My question is in regards to configuring keyboard sensitivity. I have an electronic piano I have connected via MIDI. How do I adjust key sensitivity so that Music Creator is responsive to the nuances in touch? 

10 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity) 2010/07/29 12:54:34 (permalink)
    That from what i understand is not a MC issue, but a midi issue, velocity is controled by midi data. If I am wrong some of the midiots here will jump in and adjust me. So let's see what happens.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity) 2010/07/29 13:20:31 (permalink)
    are you wanting aftertouch recorded?  if so, I'm not sure if that's an option in MC or not, but check in the OPTIONS>GLOBAL>MIDI (I think that's correct, I'm not at my DAW right now to verify) and see if there's an option to check AFTERTOUCH.

if you're talking about velocity then it should record velocity correctly as sent from your keyboard.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity) 2010/07/29 13:43:41 (permalink)
    After touchreally should we be talking about such stuff when the kids are listening!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity) 2010/07/29 13:45:14 (permalink)
    Right. If your keyboard isn't touch-sensitive, then it won't send that velocity data to the MIDI track. There's no way to make a non-sensitive keyboard send that data.
    You would have to either insert velocity envelopes in each MIDI track, or get a keyboard which is touch-sensitive.
    What keyboard do you have?
    And welcome to the forum.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    ilearn
    Re:Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity) 2010/07/29 16:35:09 (permalink)
    My keyboard is touch-sensitive. Therefore, it seems most of you are saying that MC should recognize this without my needing to configure anything, correct?

If so, can this sensitivity be adjusted on MC?
    Beagle
    Re:Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity) 2010/07/29 16:41:16 (permalink)
    if you're talking about VELOCITY then there's nothing to adjust.  if you're talking about AFTER TOUCH then you need to look at the menu option I mentioned above.  you still aren't being clear on exactly what you mean by "touch sensitive" and exactly what is NOT getting recorded. 

what events are NOT being recorded?  velocity?  aftertouch?  something else?  please be specific.

ilearn
    Re:Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity) 2010/07/29 17:34:00 (permalink)
    Sure. I'll be a little more specific: I have a Yamaha YDP-213 digital piano. As with my digital pianos, it is sensitive to the touch meaning if I play a key softly, it will produce a low, soft sound. Thus, the intensity of the sound is subject to how strongly I press the keys. This is what I mean by it being a touch-sensitive keyboard.

I would like to use one of the CakewalkSoundCenter's piano sounds, but I need MC to recognize if I play a key softly or strongly on the keyboard when recording.

Since I am fairly new to some the terminology used, would you be so kind as to define and describe velocity and after touch or point me to a link where I can learn about it? 

Thank you.
    Beagle
    Re:Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity) 2010/07/29 19:13:39 (permalink)

Sure. I'll be a little more specific: I have a Yamaha YDP-213 digital piano. As with my digital pianos, it is sensitive to the touch meaning if I play a key softly, it will produce a low, soft sound.

GREAT!  what you're describing is velocity, then.  velocity should be recorded automatically from the keyboard's MIDI output as that is part of the General MIDI (GM) formated data that is sent to MC.

I looked up the yamaha YDP-213 and noticed 2 things that glare at me from the "features" section that you need to make sure is set correctly on the keyboard.

1) Dual Mode - if dual mode is on then you have layers playing depending on the velocity with which you hit the keys.  this is probably a non-GM output when sending MIDI to be recorded.  this mode should be off.

2) Variable Touch Sensitivity - I've never played a digital piano with variable touch sensitivity, but this might be causing a problem depending on how it's set and how you play.  for example, if you have it set to the lightest touch and you're hitting the keys pretty hard, then everything will probably be recorded as velocity = 127 (the highest) or if you have it set to the highest setting and you're touching the keys lightly then it might be sending only 30 or below for velocity which would make most of it sound very soft when played back.

If there's an OFF for this, I'd use that, if not, use the medium setting.

OK my next question is:  how do you know that the velocity is not being recorded from your keyboard?  are you looking at the EVENT list and not seeing the velocity settings (probably not since you didn't know what "velocity" meant until just now )  are you looking at the Piano Roll View (PRV) and looking at the controller data for the velocities associated with each note (again, probably not). ( I'm only pointing these out for you to learn some ways to check for the velocities.) are you playing back the MIDI recorded and it doesn't sound like the velocities are recorded (likely) and if so, what are you setting the OUTPUT of the MIDI track to?  back to your keyboard?  using the soundcenter softsynth?  or something else?

and regarding soundcenter's piano sounds, i'm not sure how many velocity layers it has - probably no more than 2 or 3 since this is a very inexpensive softsynth.  so if you're playing everything within a range of say 40-100 then you might only hit one or two velocity layers in the soundcenter's range.

this talks a little about velocity and aftertouch:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_expression

BTW - I doubt your keyboard (digital piano) has aftertouch capabilities.  I didn't see it in the "features" list and it's usually not something a digital piano has anyway - it's usually on synths.   aftertouch is basically a sensor which detects if you are continuing to hold the key after striking.
    post edited by Beagle - 2010/07/29 19:15:15

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity) 2010/07/29 20:11:21 (permalink)
    In the early days of MIDI, they were trying to figure out how to send the volume data, depending on how loudly you play the keys.
    So someone figured out that when you play a loud note, you've hit the key pretty hard, and fast. For soft notes, you don't hit the key as hard or as fast. That's where the term velocity comes from in MIDI.
    So the keyboard has a sensor which measures how hard (fast) you hit the keys, and sends that info to the MIDI sequencer, which records it as velocity and plays that data back.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Piano Player New to Music Creator 5 (Key Sensitivity) 2010/07/29 20:21:56 (permalink)
    I believe if the keyboard has touch sensitivity, that data will be recorded automatically as velocity differences in the notes.

You do have the option to change this. Go to staff view and right click on a note. A note properties window opens and in one of the fields is the velocity that was recorded. change the number if you wish and close the window. You can also use the envelope IIRC in the PRV... with a draw velocity function...I have used this once to see that it worked....but I do not use it often.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1