Helpful ReplyCan't record or play back audio - MIDI only

Author
cazndave
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/07/29 18:22:10 (permalink)

Can't record or play back audio - MIDI only

As a complete newbie, I'm having real trouble with Music Creator 3 (blast from the past!)

Everything's connected and set up, and I can record and play back MIDI with no problems.  Audio tracks are a different story as for some reason, I can't even arm the tracks in preparation for recording.  When imported, WAV files (drum loops, etc.) do not play at all.

I'm probably missing something fundamental but it's driving me mad!!!

Any ideas welcome!!
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Can't record or play back audio - MIDI only 2010/07/29 19:16:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
we'll need some more info.
what are your computer specs (and particularly what soundcard are you using)?
what operating system are you using?
what are you using for OUTPUT of MIDI that allows it to play?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
cazndave
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Can't record or play back audio - MIDI only 2010/08/01 06:46:12 (permalink)
Okey dokey  -  I hope I'm giving the right info:

System - Acer Aspire X3812, Pentium Dual Core CPU, E5400 @ 2.70GHz

Soundcard - Realtek High Definition Audio (?)

MIDI Output - Casio MIDI Keyboard, connected to PC via USB cable

MIDI records with no problem at all as I can arm the tracks, choose the MIDI voice and record to the click track.  When I click on the 'arm' button for audio, it doesn't go red and the track will not arm at all.

Hope that helps!

Dave

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re:Can't record or play back audio - MIDI only 2010/08/01 08:32:53 (permalink)
What are you selected audio settings in Options>Audio? What do the input and output windows of the audio track have to offer as usable  ins and outs? Have you done the tutorials?

What is it you're trying to record on the audio track? Vocals through a microphone, guitar via Line In...??

It seems to me you haven't gotten aquainted with TTS-1 either. Sounds like you play midi through the GS wavetable synth, which is about the weakest there is. It might be a good idea to do the tutorial about using soft synths.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Can't record or play back audio - MIDI only 2010/08/01 11:30:07 (permalink)
What is the OPERATING SYSTEM on that Acer?  W7 could present some problems with MC3... it is pretty old.

But first... it sounds like you are using the casio as the midi output.   You need to select the realteck sound card as the audio input and output... run the wave profiler and it should find the RT card.... select it as the in/out and then you should be able to play the audio stuff.

To play the midi tracks at that point, you will likely need to use a soft synth to have the midi and audio play together from the realtech (RT) card. However, you will also likely experience latency with the midi tracks.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1