Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it

Author
RRabbi
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 923
2010/07/30 02:15:18 (permalink)

Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it

Just an update from my last thread asking about sights to see on the drive down from New Brunswick (Canada... right beside Maine)...

We arrived July 12 (took about 5 days to drive)... When we hit Amarillo TX, the humidity was gone and my wife has been pain free ever since (arthritis in neck, spine and knee)... so, all the hype was true, although we were kinda wondering if she would feel better or not.. 

It's what they consider "muggy" down here, with the Monsoon season upon us, but still only about 30% humidity.... I'd take 110 degrees at 10% humidity over 90 degrees at 90% humidity any day... All our friends and family are complaining about the humidity back home so I think we came at the right time.... Not to mention, Melanie doesn't need to walk with a cane or be in pain every day, all day.

We're having fun now trying out different restaurants and fast food joints that we didn't have in Canada... Did you know you can get a foot long chili cheese hot dog at Sonic? mmmmm

Dave

David Yanofsky
Green Room East - Moncton, NB - CANADA

http://www.greenroomeast.com
http://www.myspace.com/greenroomeast

28 Replies Related Threads

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 07:54:32 (permalink)
    That's great news!

What fun things did you decide to see on your trip? 

(I can't even imagine little humidity.  It's been a killer here this summer.) 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 08:23:35 (permalink)
    I had me one of those foot long cheese coneys just a few days ago!  mmm...

glad your wife is loving the climate!  humidity here, however, is through the roof!  (in north texas)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 09:00:45 (permalink)
    Great to hear your wife is pain free.  That makes everything worthwhile.

Southwestern food.  Mmmmmmm!  Enjoy!
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 09:35:50 (permalink)
    RRabbi

We're having fun now trying out different restaurants and fast food joints that we didn't have in Canada... Did you know you can get a foot long chili cheese hot dog at Sonic? mmmmm

Dave
    Is that because in Canada it's in metric?

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    KenB123
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1229
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 09:50:25 (permalink)
    RRabbi

Did you know you can get a foot long chili cheese hot dog at Sonic? mmmmm

Dave
    They just opened a Sonic in my neighborhood. Tried their toasted bread hamburger, but did notice the foot long chili cheese dog in the menu. Getting hungry thinking about it.

post edited by KenB123 - 2010/07/30 09:51:39

Broken pencils are pointless.

WIN-7 64-bit; Sonar X2A 64-bit; 12GB RAM; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB; Intel Core i7-960; 300GB-OS (10000-RPM); 1TB-Projects (7200-RPM); 1TB-Samples (7200-RPM) 

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 12:10:36 (permalink)
    I have not tried the sonic dog yet as the nearest one to me is 48 miles.

I have to live with the Angus Beef Chili Dogs from Der Weeneshnizen Winerstutlzle Wienerschnitzel

RRabbi
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 14:43:32 (permalink)
    marcos69

RRabbi

Dave
    Is that because in Canada it's in metric?

I think that the "Sonic 30.48 cm Coney" doesn't sound as enticing as a good ol' foot long... :)     

David Yanofsky

RRabbi
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 14:48:57 (permalink)
    Janet

That's great news!

What fun things did you decide to see on your trip? 

(I can't even imagine little humidity.  It's been a killer here this summer.) 

We had a deadline move-in date to meet so we just took the interstate... didn't really stop to do much sight seeing... thought about doing the arch in St. Louis but with two toddlers it probably wouldn't have been worth it...

The Apalachians (not sure if I spelt that right) were cool... the landscape only really started to change after Oklahoma into Texas... New Mexico and entering Arizona was cool...  It's too bad tho, that my external HD died and it would have cost over $1200 to recover the pictures I took on the drive down. :(

"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." -Butthead

David Yanofsky

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 15:29:10 (permalink)
    Hi,

Nice. Glad to hear that things are better for you.

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 16:23:44 (permalink)
    RRabbi;

Remember that as a former Canadian now rsiding in Arizona the local authorities may notice your foreign accent and extremely light complexion (as your are snow bound for 8 months of the year - I am assumng tha is you in your avatar ?) and demand proof of citizenship.

In Arizona there is a real problem with frostbacks taking all the maple syrup and back bacon processing jobs and as result Arizona is trying to make sure all frostbacks have legal status.

(Note: I am a canadian so I am allowed to make such jokes...the rest of you back off)

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    Storm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 808
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 16:23:55 (permalink)

And about a gallon of grease to go with it!!!! Tasty but sonic is notorious for a little extra grease on the side. :)

Nice to hear she has no pain. That's very interesting to hear about. Would elevation also be a factor?
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 17:17:15 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you had a good trip.  Sorry you lost the pictures though!  :-(
    RRabbi
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 18:12:36 (permalink)
    auto_da_fe

RRabbi;

Remember that as a former Canadian now rsiding in Arizona the local authorities may notice your foreign accent and extremely light complexion (as your are snow bound for 8 months of the year - I am assumng tha is you in your avatar ?) and demand proof of citizenship.

In Arizona there is a real problem with frostbacks taking all the maple syrup and back bacon processing jobs and as result Arizona is trying to make sure all frostbacks have legal status.

(Note: I am a canadian so I am allowed to make such jokes...the rest of you back off)

JR

I'm pretty sure I'm the whitest white guy in the West Valley...

David Yanofsky

RRabbi
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 18:22:54 (permalink)
    Storm

And about a gallon of grease to go with it!!!! Tasty but sonic is notorious for a little extra grease on the side. :)

Nice to hear she has no pain. That's very interesting to hear about. Would elevation also be a factor?

hehe, yeah... don't plan on eating at Sonic again... just HAD to try that coney footlong...  Chic-filet chicken nuggets and waffle fries were pretty good tho, and way less greasy...   I also liked DelTaco compared to TacoBell (Grade F "beef" anyone?)... but apparently around Phoenix you'll be rolling the dice any time you try one DelTaco place from another...

The highest elevation in the city we moved from was 230 ft, lowest elevation 0 ft...  the elevation of the Phoenix vally is something like 1117 ft...  Mel's physiotherapist said it has a bit to do with barometric pressures, but mostly the absence of humidity is what helps the most...  Whatever it is, she's just happy to not be in pain any more...

Now, all I need to do is get a green card (8mths to 1.5 yrs) so's I can get a job and afford to buy an RME Fireface 800 :)... sold ALL of my recording gear (kept mic's, cables, stands, and software) and kinda itching to start fresh again... Although, I'm also looking forward to just being a musician again... maybe I can get some paying gigs after the green card or working visa for a musician/artist is in hand...

David Yanofsky

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 19:30:36 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you landed Rabbi. I hope your assimulation into Arizona will be a good one. 

Craig DuBuc
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 20:30:23 (permalink)
    Well I won't get into the politics in Az at the moment...... suffice it to say jobs should be easy to find with all the illegals headed south.

We vacationed in Sedona a few years back... and the land is a bit higher there. Mid summer, upper 80's low 90's really low humidity.... closest thing to heaven an old North Carolina boy used to 90 degrees plus and 95% humidity can see on this planet.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/30 23:37:18 (permalink)
    Welcome to the West, Dave.
    Yeah, the lack of humidity is a huge comfort factor in Arizona and Colorado. I think AZ is a bit drier, but I'm used to 7-15%.
    Not only is the Summer more comfortable, but the Winter as well.
    30 degrees in Denver is not bad. Here in Fort Worth, it's rather unpleasant. It doesn't really start to bite until it gets into the single digits there. I can't imagine zero here. That's a few months away, though.
    One thing you'll notice around September, maybe earlier, is that the temperature drops rapidly at sunset. Keep some sweaters handy.
    Glad to see your wife is feeling much more comfortable.
    Looks like this will be a good move for the both of you.
    Good luck, and have a good time.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/31 10:59:41 (permalink)
    My wife's parents live in Clarkdale (middle Az, not far from Sedona).
    Yeah, my father in law complains when the humidity gets to 30% (we only get that when it's 20F outside -  not a fair trade).

It's a cool (er, maybe I should say 'hot') state.  Have fun.  If you like funky little places and doing a little shopping at independent stores, head up to Jerome.  And like Guitarhacker mentioned, head over to Sedona and do some hiking in the red rocks. 

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    ricstudioc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 670
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/07/31 12:09:51 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Valley, pal - not so sure about the "low humidity" right now, we're sorta in "monsoon lite" right now.  But certainly most of the year humidity is in the 'teens, very enjoyable.  I've been out here some 20 years now, moved from the Boston area, and other than that brief temperature peak in mid-summer it's always enjoyable.

And you don't shovel hot!!

(Gary Shandling, who's from Tucson - "Sure it's a dry heat, but so's a blowtorch....")

Ric
    RRabbi
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/08/01 03:42:21 (permalink)
    ricstudioc

Welcome to the Valley, pal - not so sure about the "low humidity" right now, we're sorta in "monsoon lite" right now.  But certainly most of the year humidity is in the 'teens, very enjoyable.  I've been out here some 20 years now, moved from the Boston area, and other than that brief temperature peak in mid-summer it's always enjoyable.

And you don't shovel hot!!

(Gary Shandling, who's from Tucson - "Sure it's a dry heat, but so's a blowtorch....")

yeah, it's not overly hot right now, but definitely muggy. Completely overcast today, and when we got back from the mall with the kids we missed a complete downpour at our apartment. I went to take our 2 year old daughter into her room for a nap and as I walked in I heard 'squish, squish, squish..." on the carpet... roof leaked, carpet drenched... ceiling will probably need major work, and carpet will need to be replaced. That was just awesome.

But yeah, even with this humidity due to Monsoon season, Mel still doesn't feel anything in her back... fingers crossed that it stays that way... Thing is, back in Canada, winters are bad for her, but then so was the rest of the year. She just wasn't catching any breaks.

We'll check out Jerome some time, for sure...  Saw Sedona last year and took a jeep tour of the Red Rocks... wow.

I'm looking forward to driving out to San Diego and taking a dip in the ocean, but I'm pretty sure a shark will eat me. Still, at least I can say I've swam in both the Atlantic and the Pacific...

Dave

David Yanofsky

MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/08/01 17:12:04 (permalink)
    Although there are over 100 forms of arthritis, none of them are caused by, or affected by, humidity. That is like saying being in the cold will give you a cold which is simply not true. A change in climate, location or just being more relaxed with the hope of a new start could in it's self provide a temporary placebo effect.

Arthritis is very complex, and depending on the type, has to be treated in a variety of different ways to help relieve pain and sometimes crippling disability.
    One thing that is certain is that, like everything else, the food that we put into our bodies and the environment that we surround ourselves with is crucial to good health, along with good mental well being and an active lifestyle.

I would suggest that refraining from eating out (fast food or otherwise) could be a major step forward in seeing a turnaround in overall health. Any restaurant food (unless you choose one that is dedicated to using wholesome, natural, organic ingredients) is going to have a negative impact on arthritis, even if it is just 'occasionally'. Refined sugars, fats and all the other chemically formulated toxic junk that comes laced in today's foods (including most packaged food at the supermarket) are killing the western worlds populations and costing the health services billions of dollars a year. 

Also, after having being unfortunate enough to have lived on the west side of the greater Phoenix area, I can tell you this, the air quality there is terrible. The brown cloud that hangs over that whole valley and extends up to 3000 feet will give you more health problems than you can imagine. I used to fly above it every day, look down on it and think "I gotta get away from living here" which I did.

Respiratory problems and all kinds of cancer are probably the most likely developments. Of course, these take time to develop and then it's too late. I'm probably half way to dead myself already after having lived in that s**t hole and breathed in that stuff for 6 years. http://www.phoenixmag.com...wn-and-bad-all-over/1/

Go back to Canada while you can! at least the air quality up there is decent and then you can try to find a good arthritis doctor that can actually help your wife reduce the inflammation and get on the track to a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck.

PS. even the best doctors only do about 10% of the healing in cases like this, the rest is up to us....use your intelligence. And good luck with the wonderful US health care system!! wow, you just blew that $@%# Canada is free.

http://www.sonicdrivein.c...onicNutritionGuide.pdf

http://www.eatthisnotthat...010ps2/?keycode=133985

post edited by MemphisJo - 2010/08/01 17:47:58

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

RRabbi
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/08/01 23:09:41 (permalink)
    MemphisJo

Although there are over 100 forms of arthritis, none of them are caused by, or affected by, humidity. That is like saying being in the cold will give you a cold which is simply not true. A change in climate, location or just being more relaxed with the hope of a new start could in it's self provide a temporary placebo effect.

Arthritis is very complex, and depending on the type, has to be treated in a variety of different ways to help relieve pain and sometimes crippling disability.
    One thing that is certain is that, like everything else, the food that we put into our bodies and the environment that we surround ourselves with is crucial to good health, along with good mental well being and an active lifestyle.

I would suggest that refraining from eating out (fast food or otherwise) could be a major step forward in seeing a turnaround in overall health. Any restaurant food (unless you choose one that is dedicated to using wholesome, natural, organic ingredients) is going to have a negative impact on arthritis, even if it is just 'occasionally'. Refined sugars, fats and all the other chemically formulated toxic junk that comes laced in today's foods (including most packaged food at the supermarket) are killing the western worlds populations and costing the health services billions of dollars a year. 

Also, after having being unfortunate enough to have lived on the west side of the greater Phoenix area, I can tell you this, the air quality there is terrible. The brown cloud that hangs over that whole valley and extends up to 3000 feet will give you more health problems than you can imagine. I used to fly above it every day, look down on it and think "I gotta get away from living here" which I did.

Respiratory problems and all kinds of cancer are probably the most likely developments. Of course, these take time to develop and then it's too late. I'm probably half way to dead myself already after having lived in that s**t hole and breathed in that stuff for 6 years. http://www.phoenixmag.com...wn-and-bad-all-over/1/

Go back to Canada while you can! at least the air quality up there is decent and then you can try to find a good arthritis doctor that can actually help your wife reduce the inflammation and get on the track to a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck.

PS. even the best doctors only do about 10% of the healing in cases like this, the rest is up to us....use your intelligence. And good luck with the wonderful US health care system!! wow, you just blew that $@%# Canada is free.

http://www.sonicdrivein.c...onicNutritionGuide.pdf

http://www.eatthisnotthat...010ps2/?keycode=133985

so much to think about... ;)

David Yanofsky

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/08/02 12:26:32 (permalink)
    Welcome to Az.  I've lived here for 35 years (moved from Chicago).  I'm in north central Phoenix, approx thunderbird and 7th st.  PM me if you have any Arizona questions.  I have been told that I am translucent with Blue eyes and white hair.  I have ID that says I am not from Zombieland but am a citizen of the USA.  LOL!!!!!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/08/02 12:31:32 (permalink)
    Oh, I wonder about the people that quote medical theory (doctor or not) about mysterious cures.  If your wife is strong enough to make up here "cure" by being strong minded then God bless her.  Having been on this earth for a while, I believe that arthritis is better in less humid, warm places.  Mine is!!! My allergies stopped here when I was practically debilitated in Chicago.  Some people say the allergies are worse here.  To each his own.  Faith is a wonderful thing.  Does she believe it's better?  I hope so!  Nothing against theoriticians!! 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Storm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 808
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/08/02 13:20:58 (permalink)
    I hope you bring some uppers to the party next time MemphisJo. Wow.
    RRabbi
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/08/02 13:24:39 (permalink)
    evadianepug

Oh, I wonder about the people that quote medical theory (doctor or not) about mysterious cures.  If your wife is strong enough to make up here "cure" by being strong minded then God bless her.  Having been on this earth for a while, I believe that arthritis is better in less humid, warm places.  Mine is!!! My allergies stopped here when I was practically debilitated in Chicago.  Some people say the allergies are worse here.  To each his own.  Faith is a wonderful thing.  Does she believe it's better?  I hope so!  Nothing against theoriticians!! 

Well, all we know is that she's been pain free for 3 weeks straight, and I find it hard to believe that it's all in her head (when an MRI clearly showed arthritis in her neck and spine...) she's only 32, and had to walk with a cane. As well, her asthma symptoms cleared up after we arrived.

Our family doctor and her physiotherapist both agreed that the move to Arizona should help, and we were pleasantly surprised at how better her quality of life is, at least, in the short term. Only time will tell if how things turn out in the long term. What we do know, is that if we stayed in our part of Canada) the pain would be all the time (she's been in pain for 2 years since the diagnosis after the MRI). Her physiotherapist thought that barometric pressures can have a lot to do with alleviating the symptoms too.

No move to a different climate will change the course of the disease (arthritis) but the jury is till out on if it does help with the symptoms. I guess a gazillion arthritis sufferers that come here every year and feel 100% during their stay can't be wrong? At any rate, any moron with Google can see there's quite the debate, but for us there's no question something about being here has helped my wife.

Some people's glasses are half empty I guess... right now, her's is pretty much full.  I'm looking forward to driving up to South Mountain to check out the brown cloud. hehe...  OR, I can just look at the live view here:

http://www.phoenixvis.net/somt1/index.html

Regardless, it's JUST as hazy back home... moreso, probably... we get all the crap air blown up to us from the Eastern USA and Quebec... not to mention the very high humidity which makes it tough to breath in the summer and you just feel gross all the time... so far, we like the dry heat over the humidity...
    post edited by RRabbi - 2010/08/02 13:48:56

David Yanofsky

RRabbi
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/08/02 13:39:25 (permalink)
    Storm

I hope you bring some uppers to the party next time MemphisJo. Wow.

It's all good... apparently, there are two camps of people I've run into so far: Camp I Hate Arizona, and Camp I Love Arizona.... hehe....  Maybe the haters got stung by bark scorpions? ;)

David Yanofsky

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Landed in Arizona.... lovin' it 2010/08/02 14:34:22 (permalink)
    Camp I Hate Arizona,

They were there in the summer,
    and Camp I Love Arizona

They were there in the winter.

Glad your move is doing you and yours some good!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1