Qustion bout mixing

Author
marcus3
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 521
2010/07/30 04:36:44 (permalink)

Qustion bout mixing

Hi I been reading lot articles some books. im starteing get hang of this mixing thing. i just qustion though.

I'm useing tascam 2488 but not dat it matters.
The qustion i have is when i get done rec all my tracks into it. am i spose adjust the levles till everythng is jumping at 0db??
Before i start adding Eg reverb etc???
than mix it??

Appreciate it

8 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Qustion bout mixing 2010/07/30 11:02:12 (permalink)
    You should record the tracks so they sound good.  with digital, esp. 24 bit, the loudness doesn't matter so much.  -12 dB is fine.  If you are hitting 0 dB you are likely getting digital overs for stuff w/ transients (drums, etc).

Mixing is another bag altogether.  It should sound good w/ effects, EQ etc., not raw, tho the better the raw sounds the better off you are.  Mixing is an art, not science so it takes time to learn what you are doing and train your ears.

As to levels, you should probably be around -dB for your master output and recording.  That leaves room for the mix to breathe and for mastering.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Qustion bout mixing 2010/07/30 12:31:55 (permalink)
    When you say "everything" at 0db, do you mean all the tracks? If that's the question, the answer is NO. If you do that, all you will have is wall of noise. Here is a very basic beginner mix guide.

Pull all the faders down to the bottom. Now bring the drums up to -12 db. Don't put any effects on at this point. Now bring the bass fader up until it's playing nicely with the drums, especially the kick drum. You can eq the bass a little at this point so that you can clearly hear it and the bass drum.

Assuming there is a vocal on this song, bring that up next. Don't worry about what the db meter is showing. LISTEN! Get the vocal up to where you can hear it and the drums and the bass guitar. You may need to roll off some lows on the vocal to let the bass and drums come through. Everything should be center panned at this point.

Next is the main instrument track for the song. Guitar, piano, whatever. Let's start with a slight pan to the left of 30% and see how that sounds. Bring it up enough to where you can hear it, but not so loud that it over powers the vocals or drums.

This is a very basic starting point for mixing, but it's what I still start with on just about everything I do. It can give you an idea of what you are working with. It gets quite a bit more complicated than this when you start carving out freqencies and adding reverbs and delays and such. It's best I think to wait for those things after you get a basic balance and some space for the different elements of the song.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    marcus3
    Re:Qustion bout mixing 2010/07/30 20:33:33 (permalink)
    ok now i get it.
    Mixing is done with my ears
    Meters is for monitoring to see if it cliping and nuff air space.

So when i rec into my tascam just make sure there nuff room to breath.
    than use the faders get everythang at good level loud but not cliping
    and eq compresion reverb will slowloy be added when needed.

I'm going guitar center sunday. I got book mixing and mastering by hal leonard
    is there any books dat may help?? maybe by him??
    Also im not doing vocals good i still mix song add vocals later??
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Qustion bout mixing 2010/07/30 20:38:41 (permalink)
    What Randy says is good. Mixing is an art... it takes time just like learning to play an instrument well.... it's gonna take time to get it together.

When recording I record each track so that it is NOT hitting the red. During the mixing, I also keep all the tracks out of the red. BUT..... the most important thing is to listen. Get the levels right and the balance right..... you can always make it louder later..... get the thing sounding right first.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Qustion bout mixing 2010/07/30 20:48:54 (permalink)
    Another great book is Mixing Audio, by Roey Izhaki.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Qustion bout mixing 2010/07/30 21:59:45 (permalink)
    English 101....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Qustion bout mixing 2010/07/30 22:55:41 (permalink)
    marcus3

ok now i get it.
    Mixing is done with my ears
    Meters is for monitoring to see if it cliping and nuff air space.

So when i rec into my tascam just make sure there nuff room to breath.
    than use the faders get everythang at good level loud but not cliping
    and eq compresion reverb will slowloy be added when needed.

I'm going guitar center sunday. I got book mixing and mastering by hal leonard
    is there any books dat may help?? maybe by him??
    Also im not doing vocals good i still mix song add vocals later??
    When you are recording, try and make sure you are getting a good level close to -3db. Like I said above, when you zero out all the faders to quiet and bring the drums up to -12db, none of the other tracks should really get above that 12-db level. If you need to hear it louder, turn up your monitors or headphones. The idea is to get the other elements of the mix to sound good together. As far as mixing before vocals are added, that's tough to do well. In most rock/pop/country/blues the vocals are the main feature of the song. They tend to take up a section of frequencies that other elements also occupy. The risk you run by trying to mix the music before the vocals is this. Lets say you have your drums,bass,guitars,keys all mixed nicely and balanced. Now you record your vocals and you can't hear the guitars anymore. Or worse, the guitars totally mask the vocals and the only way to hear them is to turn them up so loud it sounds like kareoke.

Your best bet is to get all your tracks recorded to the best quality you can get. Then start your mixing. The book Matt mentioned above is a great book to read. I'm reading it again this week (started last Monday) for about the 3rd time. The first time you read it, it may seem like Portugese, but as you start mixing and learning it starts to make sense and its a great resource. I'd also suggest you get a software program like Sonar. I used to use something similar to your Tascam, and I found it frustrating when it came to mixing. This stuff is easier than you think once you get past the initial learning curve and well worth the time invested.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    marcus3
    Re:Qustion bout mixing 2010/08/01 00:21:28 (permalink)
    ok so i need get mic Mixing Audio, by Roey Izhaki and should i buy yamaha reforcment??
    so this book will explain more than my hal leanord book to were i can understand his book lol.

Do you know were i can print out Mix sheets 1 for faders 2 for eq compresion etc??
    And sense im mixing on tascam 2488 do i need traditiona studiol track sheets or nontraditiona studiol track sheets???

Also to Randy i got sonar but no computer last one had was defective 2 them actualy got tired buying computers so i bought tascam for my mac mini i trade in..
    I know probley going be more challenge to mix on tascam 2488 but can be fun doing what i love..

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1