USB Audio / Midi Interface Recommendations

Author
cr8zyeddie
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/07/30 10:10:56 (permalink)

USB Audio / Midi Interface Recommendations

Hello everyone,
    I've been searching for a USB Audio / Midi interface to use with a new Asus G73JH-X3 laptop running Windows 7 x64. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions based on experiences with Windows 7 / Sonar / drivers. I don't need anything with a lot of inputs, just something with Midi I/O and one stereo line in - I don't necessarily need any MIC inputs as the only thing I would use inputs for are my main board and everything else would be VST's controlled within Sonar. I'm still running my desktop under a Delta 44 / Windows XP to give you an idea of what I similarly need, but if I could start moving everything over to the laptop that would be great for some portable tracking.

Thanks in advanced!
eD

8 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:USB Audio / Midi Interface Recommendations 2010/07/30 11:25:01 (permalink)
    cr8zyeddie

Hello everyone,
       I've been searching for a USB Audio / Midi interface to use with a new Asus G73JH-X3 laptop running Windows 7 x64. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions based on experiences with Windows 7 / Sonar / drivers. I don't need anything with a lot of inputs, just something with Midi I/O and one stereo line in - I don't necessarily need any MIC inputs as the only thing I would use inputs for are my main board and everything else would be VST's controlled within Sonar. I'm still running my desktop under a Delta 44 / Windows XP to give you an idea of what I similarly need, but if I could start moving everything over to the laptop that would be great for some portable tracking.

Thanks in advanced!
    eD

Check out the M-Audio web site, they have a good selection. The FastTrack Pro should be just what you need.
    cr8zyeddie
    Re:USB Audio / Midi Interface Recommendations 2010/07/30 11:39:35 (permalink)
    Thanks, the FastTrack Pro is one on my list. I must say though, after waiting for drivers for the Delta 44 from M-Audio previously I'm a little soured by their support. Hopefully that's cleared up now. Still open for more suggestions!

Thanks,
    eD
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:USB Audio / Midi Interface Recommendations 2010/07/30 12:56:20 (permalink)
    "Portable" makes me think of the MOTU Traveler.... it is a single rackmounted unit that you can also get a battery pack for so you can record "On Location" without a power source. Use the laptops battery and the battery pack for the MOTU.  It also has MIDI ports which is hard to find in a small audio interface. It does have a couple mic pres in case you need them (like being on location recording the beach waves/etc with a couple of microphones)

If you don't need mic preamps there are a lot of choices.
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    Re:USB Audio / Midi Interface Recommendations 2010/07/30 15:40:21 (permalink)
    I got disgusted with their lack of support for the MIDIsport and got a MOTU micro lite for MIDI. That's been working well; I just have to remember to disconnect it when making or restoring a system backup but that's minor.

Fortunately the Delta series drivers are working out for me, but if they weren't I'd be up **** creek.
    cr8zyeddie
    Re:USB Audio / Midi Interface Recommendations 2010/07/30 16:06:59 (permalink)
    Yea I have a midisport as well - had the same driver support issues - although to be fair this was when Vista came out and getting any x64 drivers were an issue. Still, it was beyond pitiful on how long it took for drivers to become available.

Anyway, still looking for more suggestions from people. Things I've looked at that would be cool to hear about are like the UA-25ex, Tascam US-144mkII, Alesis I/O2, Focusrite Saffire 6, etc...Kinda trying to keep things under $300 but will go beyond that if the price/feature fit for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again everyone,
    eD
    Shadow of The Wind
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re:USB Audio / Midi Interface Recommendations 2010/08/04 01:29:36 (permalink)
    I got myself a MOTU Ultralite mk3. It works very well with my Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.
    I initially bought an M-Audio Fastrack Ultra. The driver caused my system to bluescreen. At that time, there was no alternative driver, so I had to return the unit. I know that other people have no problems with the Fasttrack Ultra, while a few people ran into the same issue as I did. The problem might be solved by know.
    The software that comes with the MOTU allows very flexible routing. I also own a Phonic Firefly 808 (, which is also available with USB). In comparison, the Phonic software is very basic. The Firfly offers 8 MIC inputs, word clock etc.
    The MOTU does not support ADAT. However, you can sync it with more MOTU devices.
    I just read a review of the RME Fireface UC. That box seems to rock. However, it is two times more expensive...

Wilko
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:USB Audio / Midi Interface Recommendations 2010/08/04 03:30:07 (permalink)
    I'd checkout the FastTrack Ultra...
    It meets your criteria... and offers low round-trip latency.
    One of the very few USB audio interfaces to deliver RTL on par with the best PCI/e and Firewire units.
    Win7 drivers are rock-solid

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    cr8zyeddie
    Re:USB Audio / Midi Interface Recommendations 2010/08/04 11:13:12 (permalink)
    These have all been excellent suggestions and exactly the type of information I need to help make a decision. Thanks so much for you input! I really appreciate it!

I'll reply back shortly with what I decided on and how it works for me as well.

Thanks,
    eD
    post edited by cr8zyeddie - 2010/08/04 11:15:05
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1