Cakewalk UA-25EX Interference Noise

Author
DaveEnigma
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/07/30 11:21:16 (permalink)

Cakewalk UA-25EX Interference Noise

Hi All, I have the above audio interface which has a Tascam XS-5 mixer plugged into it via phono out / XLR in. The UA-25EX is plugged in to my laptop which is Clevo model.

The problem I have is with the mixer plugged in, I get a clearly audible interference noise through the monitor out which I can only workaround by unplugging the power lead from my laptop (it sounds vaguely like a zx spectrum loading noise).

The noise responds to movement on the mousepad when scrolling up and down a webpage. Running the laptop on battery power eliminates the problem however limits my recording time to the life of the battery (which isn't very long).

I have read elsewhere that  the UA-25EX is a rather large drain on power and someone has recommended buying an powered USB hub to eliminate a similar noise problem.

Unfortunately searching various locations hasn't returned any other results which resemble my issue. Please help.

Many thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

pacolaf
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Cakewalk UA-25EX Interference Noise 2011/01/14 12:24:00 (permalink)
    Hi, I have just bought this audio interface and I have the same problem of computer noise interferencies with my iMac. The interferences noise level does not depend on the output level of the interface, it is there even with the minimum output level (no sound output but still the same noise). I'm using unbalanced cables, so perhaps this is the problem, but I used the same cables and monitors with my PC and Terratec DMX 6Fire audio interface and the sound was very clear, without any type of interference or noise.

Did you find any solution?
    post edited by pacolaf - 2011/01/14 13:53:33
    MKibble
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:Cakewalk UA-25EX Interference Noise 2011/01/16 23:48:01 (permalink)
    I have the same problem here with FA 66.

Things that made the noise less audible (but didn't eliminate it): put the laptop's AC Adapter far from the monitors. Just use one grounded equipament (disable the ground from the power plug). Here I had the monitors and the external HD. Now I just use the ground from the monitors. It's a bit better, but I'm still looking for a definitive solution.

Check the topic: http://forum.cakewalk.com...er%2cnoise%F0%96%92%AD

Here in my country I don't have acess to this audio isolators.
    dreadnotpop
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Cakewalk UA-25EX Interference Noise 2011/06/13 17:27:28 (permalink)
    Same problem here. Mouse noise and monitor activity noise. I have Gateway desktop w/Windows 7. I used to use an Mbox Pro2 with firewire connection and Gateway desktop w/Windows XP and everything sounded great. I have tried isolating grounds, new wires, moving the unit, all to no avail. Need help.
    Billaboard
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:Cakewalk UA-25EX Interference Noise 2011/06/13 19:53:59 (permalink)
    Have you looked at
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2307929

The standard way to sort this sort of ground loop noise from poor laptop power units is to insert some decent audio transformers between the external grounded device and the usb interface. I use a home made box with some old Lundahl audio transformers pulled from an obsolete audio unit. There are ready built commercial units available.

It is very unwise to remove safety grounds to cure ground loop problems, especially in countries where the standard power voltages are higher than in the USA.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1