Monitor settings

Author
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
2010/07/30 19:27:19 (permalink)

Monitor settings

My monitors (Edirol -MA-15D) have bass and treble knobs as I guess many do. I am curious if in playing back a final mix it really matters to start out by setting these all the way down.../counterclockwise, or leave them in the middle setting - which way would really give a :"truer" indication of my mix? 

6 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Monitor settings 2010/07/30 20:07:04 (permalink)
    "Turn it a little bit
     turn it down flatter"

E. Costello

Depends of course.  I would guess mid, but the manual or online could tell you where 0 is with no extra boosted frequencies, which is what you want.  I assume it is to balance a room sound, but that is not a good way to do it.  My old yama monitors don't have knobs on front, but a dial on the back for more brighter or not and it is a filter.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Monitor settings 2010/07/31 20:33:03 (permalink)
    I'd start in the middle. Play a couple of commercial CD's through them..... if they sound OK at that point.... I'd consider that a good starting point.

IIRC I have all my settings in the middle including the volume controls.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Monitor settings 2010/08/01 11:15:36 (permalink)
    My monitors (Edirol -MA-15D) have bass and treble knobs as I guess many do. I am curious if in playing back a final mix it really matters to start out by setting these all the way down.../counterclockwise, or leave them in the middle setting - which way would really give a :"truer" indication of my mix?

The problem is that you don't know exactly what effect those tone controls have. They could improve the flatness of the monitors, or they might make it worse. Objective measurement is the solution.

Check out this thread on measuring room response.

Use the same method, except instead of placing the microphone at the mix position, position it close to one of the speakers, about 6-10 inches away, and use a cardiod rather than omnidirectional pattern. Do this at the same volume level you normally use for mixing. Repeat the procedure for each speaker separately, with the other speaker turned off. Adjust the tone controls for the flattest obtainable response and mark their positions on the dial so you can put them back there if you later decide to tweak them for some other purpose such as video games or Skype video calls.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Monitor settings 2010/08/01 11:36:26 (permalink)
    Nice thread there Dave.

BMI/NSAI

reader1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 605
    Re:Monitor settings 2010/08/02 04:37:13 (permalink)
    silvercn

My monitors (Edirol -MA-15D) have bass and treble knobs as I guess many do. I am curious if in playing back a final mix it really matters to start out by setting these all the way down.../counterclockwise, or leave them in the middle setting - which way would really give a :"truer" indication of my mix? 

your question is vague. however,
    as your speakers are active, its good idea to leave the knobs at middle postion.
    or at bottom postion depends on your speakers' spec.
    generally speaking, this is flat response.
    then choose a familiar music or tones.playback, adjust the knobs to get the satisfaction.

this knobs serves as a eq function to compensate the room response. if you have a multi band eq. extrally. you can find a pink noise generator and a mic (omin) to measure the whole room response( audible enviroment) and adjust the eq to get a satisfactory respose.
     if you want to test the speaker, that will be rather trouble, need a specially room and keep a mic away from 1m to test.....

your mic (avatar( is not bad and canb e used for this measurement.

Where is Chinatowns?
    For sell: solar cell; led; sound level meters; glasses, stationery.
    Offer: chemical industry design; consultant.  dsp board.
    kinds of instruments.  Offer music services.
    look for cooperators in making movies, tv, art craft.
    Design web site, 3D, outsourcing and 3d sound.
    --
    Wonderful music made by Sonar. Sonar is one of good software to produce magnificent music. We are getting use to it
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Monitor settings 2010/08/02 10:34:42 (permalink)
    The center "dent" position is supposed to be 'flat" however...... the flatness will vary depending on the manufacturer. When I auditioned reference monitors in the store's sound room...every single set sounded different.... some slightly, some dramatically.... I did what I believe most people do..... I chose the set that I thought sounded the best with the same source material.

Once you start moving the knobs from the center you are altering the sonic balance of the monitors and are entering the world of induced artificial color.....

So the best option is to leave them flat or run a test as Bitflipper described in his post and associated thread.

My refs are in the center position at this point in time.

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1