Does anyone here use a M-Audio firewire card?

Author
Neel1
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 129
2010/07/31 02:53:31 (permalink)

Does anyone here use a M-Audio firewire card?

I have been using a Delta 1010LT PCI soundcard up to now without any problem whatsoever. But my sound card is very old now...almost 7 years, and I am thinking of getting myself a new soundcard just in case, and the good sound card available here in Mauritius is the Profire 610 of M-Audio. But to use that one, I will need a PCI firewire adaptor for my PC...According to M-Audio website, you need one with Texas instruments chipset:
http://www.m-audio.com/in...b9ea3d8875e546ab813516

Do you people use firewire soundcards, or specifically M-Audio firewire soundcard, and do you have any problem with it?

"Step out of your cage and onto the stage
It's time to start playing your part"

Model: Intel Pentium OS: Windows 7 Professional CPU:i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHZ Memory: 8.00 GB (2 X 4GB) System type: 64 bit operating system M-Audio Products: Profire 2626 (5.10.0.5082 1.0.8.1 driver), Sonar 8.5, Cubase 5, Reason 4 Model: Macbook Pro

7 Replies Related Threads

strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Does anyone here use a M-Audio firewire card? 2010/07/31 04:27:48 (permalink)
    Yep I use one. No problems. First thing to check on any interface, especially firewire, is if it needs any requirements and yes it does, like you've already found out. It's a must otherwise you get problems. Apart from that it's been fine. It's not spectacular but ok for the bedroom warrior, like myself, and I've not had a problem with it. There are drivers for your type of O/S and they are up-to-date as far as I know.

Direct monitoring is done through muting the input section in the software mixer that comes with it and there are faders for all the outputs. The software mixer runs parallel, in other words it doesn't alter anything going in or out of Sonar, it only affects what you hear. Sonar remains untouched. Once you get that concept it's pretty plain sailing.

You can't change the ASIO buffers on the fly, which would be a pain if you like to go from high to low when recording and mixing. You can only change it when Sonar is closed.

Other things to consider are the in and outs.  The 6/10 divide leaves you with only two line inputs on the back. That's the bare minimum. I'd really like more (I use a mixer before the interface so no problem).The Profire 2626 is required if you want more. The two front inputs for mics/instruments are quite nice for the price. S/pdif and two headphones finish it off. Jack inputs are plastic but solid enough.
    Meffy
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:Does anyone here use a M-Audio firewire card? 2010/07/31 10:06:49 (permalink)
    I have an old Firewire 410. It works okay mostly but has a few quirks. If I were to buy now I'd definitely go for USB2 instead of FW, not least so I could use it with my tablet PC.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Does anyone here use a M-Audio firewire card? 2010/07/31 10:15:45 (permalink)
    Do you people use firewire soundcards, or specifically M-Audio firewire soundcard, and do you have any problem with it?

Use a good TI chipset Firewire controller... and you'll be fine.

The FastTrack Ultra 8R is also a great choice (USB2 unit that offers low round-trip latency on par with the best PCI/e and Firewire units - one of just a couple of USB units that offers low RTL).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Neel1
    Re:Does anyone here use a M-Audio firewire card? 2010/07/31 11:49:31 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Use a good TI chipset Firewire controller... and you'll be fine.

The FastTrack Ultra 8R is also a great choice (USB2 unit that offers low round-trip latency on par with the best PCI/e and Firewire units - one of just a couple of USB units that offers low RTL).

Following this discussion and my reading of the M-Audio website, it is clear that I need to be careful with the PCI firewire adaptor I buy, but the Computer hardware sellers in Mauritius really do not seem to know about what is a Texas instruments Chipset. They do sell the goods but are not giving information about what chipset the adaptor includes. Do you have any brand that you could suggest please? Sorry if my question may seem a bit silly! Thanks in advance.

I already have my eye set on the Profire in the shop but I want to get that adaptor first to be sure that I can use this soundcard without hassle!

Model: Intel Pentium OS: Windows 7 Professional CPU:i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHZ Memory: 8.00 GB (2 X 4GB) System type: 64 bit operating system M-Audio Products: Profire 2626 (5.10.0.5082 1.0.8.1 driver), Sonar 8.5, Cubase 5, Reason 4 Model: Macbook Pro
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Does anyone here use a M-Audio firewire card? 2010/07/31 11:57:07 (permalink)
    I already have my eye set on the Profire in the shop but I want to get that adaptor first to be sure that I can use this soundcard without hassle!

• ADS Pyro
    • SIIG
    If you can inspect the card itself, you can look at the PCB and see the familiar TI logo on the chipset.
    Note that SIIG puts their logo (sticker) on top of the TI chip/logo.  Most manufacturers don't do this...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Neel1
    Re:Does anyone here use a M-Audio firewire card? 2010/08/05 10:48:35 (permalink)
    Can anyone tell if this one is good!! It is a Card with a TI chipset:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-P...mp;hash=item4aa2f4a97f

guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Does anyone here use a M-Audio firewire card? 2010/08/06 14:16:52 (permalink)
    I didn't people were still using firewire, as it's on the way out and will become obsolete.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1