2 Quick Questions

Author
PMH
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2010/07/31 13:27:18 (permalink)

2 Quick Questions

I have just installed Music Creator 5, after turning off my Cubase LE4, too much latency, strange goings on, no sound out randomly, etc.

Must admit, to date, I have managed to create a fe tracks without referring to the destructions, however, am struggling on a couple of points:-

1 - When I record instrument one, all is fine. When I add instrument two, makeing inst 1 write and record off, I still get instrument 1 recording alongside instrument 2 in the instrument 2 channel. The only way I have managed to stop this happening is to use Freeze Synth.

2 - When adding the SI drum Kit as an instrument track, all the level indicators bounce nicely and the sound comes out, but using the drumkit play facility it doesn't record within the track.

3 - I am currently using Microshafts Sh*tsa, oops, Vista, has anybody thrown this away for Windows 7. At the moment it's behaving, but only just!

Any thoughts/guidance?

Kind regards,

Phil

9 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:2 Quick Questions 2010/07/31 14:09:46 (permalink)
    hi phil,
    first, latency is not inherent to the DAW.  MC has nothing special to reduce latency that cubase does not.  it's simply a matter of finding the correct settings for each with the equipment you have.  having said that, the biggest cause of latency is your soundcard and its drivers.  but even if you have a soundcard with good drivers of one kind, if you choose the wrong driver mode for the best drivers for that card (choice in the DAW) then you could still have high latency.   what soundcard are you using?

1) what are you using for input and output of your MIDI tracks?

2) it's not supposed to.  the play button is only for auditioning the loops and kit sounds.  you have to drag the MIDI loops onto the MIDI track instead of trying to "record" them.

3) I've never left XP!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:2 Quick Questions 2010/07/31 16:54:26 (permalink)
    I still use Vista. It's not too bad as an OS.....  Some days are better than others but besides that it's OK.... I'd like to be running XP actually...and some day I might back up to it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:2 Quick Questions 2010/07/31 23:18:28 (permalink)
    2 - When adding the SI drum Kit as an instrument track, all the level indicators bounce nicely and the sound comes out, but using the drumkit play facility it doesn't record within the track.

What Beagle said. You need MIDI data in a MIDI track with it's output set to the SI Drums. You can't record SI Drums in real time.
    You can connect a MIDI drum set or keyboard to your computer, play that MIDI output into MC, recording that MIDI data with the output of that MIDI track pointed to SI Drums and hear it.
    Or enter notes (data) in the MIDI track with your mouse in either the Piano Roll view (PRV) or the Staff view. Or drag MIDI patterns into the MIDI track.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    kmcm
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:2 Quick Questions 2010/08/01 21:12:54 (permalink)
    Check you help files to change to ASIO settings rather than MS - MMC. In cubase go to "sound" arrow down to ASIO > leave latency at 10ms.  The ASIO drivers are much more suited to multi-track than Windows default.

Hope this helps - Kevin

Music Creator 5 - Gigabyte X48 motherboard - 4MB dd3 Ram - Intel Duo 3GHz - Windows Vista - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro - 4 x Sata2 Hard Drives in Striped RAID Array - Studio monitor amp and speakers - Yamaha Electric / Midi Piano

Kevin @ Brisbane Australia
    Beagle
    Re:2 Quick Questions 2010/08/02 08:37:34 (permalink)
    kmcm

Check you help files to change to ASIO settings rather than MS - MMC. In cubase go to "sound" arrow down to ASIO > leave latency at 10ms.  The ASIO drivers are much more suited to multi-track than Windows default.

Hope this helps - Kevin

not if he's using his on board soundcard.  99% of the onboard soundcards won't work with ASIO (unless you download ASIO4ALL which is a WDM to ASIO wrapper).

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:2 Quick Questions 2010/08/02 10:04:03 (permalink)
    Beagle is correct. ASIO is usually the preferred driver for external cards/interfaces. The factory cards like MME it seems..... but they also have huge levels of latency which is why most of us have upgraded to external.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    PMH
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:2 Quick Questions 2010/08/08 17:46:44 (permalink)
    Dear All,

Thanks for your kind response.

The main reasons I left cubase are that it would not work with my Lexicon Alpha; then on direct audio input I was getting a 500ms + latency and also lots of drop out. That and nobody ever responds to queries on the forum.

So far, on MC5 my latency is 0 to 1.5ms which is perfect.

I am using an akai LPK25 (think thats the correct term) to use as a "MIDI" controller when playing instruments. Works well but, as I mentioned, When I select and try to record track 2, it also plays the track 1 instrument at the same time.

As such, If I add 3, 4, etc, when I record 4 for example each key press plays insrumnts 3, 2, 1 also.

Hope this helps narrow it down.

Kind regards,

Phil

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:2 Quick Questions 2010/08/08 23:12:16 (permalink)
    PMH

Dear All,

Thanks for your kind response.

The main reasons I left cubase are that it would not work with my Lexicon Alpha; then on direct audio input I was getting a 500ms + latency and also lots of drop out. That and nobody ever responds to queries on the forum.

So far, on MC5 my latency is 0 to 1.5ms which is perfect.

I am using an akai LPK25 (think thats the correct term) to use as a "MIDI" controller when playing instruments. Works well but, as I mentioned, When I select and try to record track 2, it also plays the track 1 instrument at the same time.

As such, If I add 3, 4, etc, when I record 4 for example each key press plays insrumnts 3, 2, 1 also.

Hope this helps narrow it down.

Kind regards,

Phil

Okay. Can you select which channels the Akai sends MIDI info on? One through 16.
    If you can't choose which channel to transmit the data on, you need to select MIDI Omni for the input in MC 5.
    For each MIDI track in MC, choose a different channel for output.
    Often, if you don't change the input on already-recorded tracks in MC to 'None' when recording subsequent tracks, the controller will trigger those tracks and patches when recording the other tracks.
    So, finish recording a track, set the input in the track in MC to None, record the next track. See if that works.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Beagle
    Re:2 Quick Questions 2010/08/09 08:35:37 (permalink)
    what are you using for MIDI output?

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1