Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3

Author
Monstertone
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2010/07/31 15:03:58 (permalink)

Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3

Hi all,

I just got a DM6 drum set,  and want to use that to trigger the sounds in the Session Drummer 3 in my Cakewalk Producer.  (64bit).

Here's what I've done so far:

Went to "Options>MIDI Devices" and checked the "edrums" box.
Went to "Insert>Soft Synth>Session Drummer 3
I opened the Session Drummer 3,  and loaded an acoustic set.

Now I have a MIDI track in my song,  and have chosen for the Input "OMNI edrum"
and Output to "session drummer 3 x64"

The software definitely see the triggering,  as the MIDI indicator red light flashes,  and I see the level meter go up on the tracker when I strike
a drum,  yet there is no sound.    

Can someone tell me what else I need to do,  or what I'm doing wrong?

I'm attaching a screenshot of the track with the settings if that helps.

Thank you!

Tom

16 Replies Related Threads

Monstertone
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/07/31 15:40:36 (permalink)
    Nevermind!  I just figured it out.   Had to add an audio track and route the output of the Session drummer to the input of the audio track,  then the output of the audio track to the master.

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/01 07:40:15 (permalink)
    Is Omni what is suggested for input from the DM6? Using omni usually lets all Midi data access the synth. Pre-recorded midi tracks, other midi devices, etc. Usually restricting the input to channel 10 from the DM6 to the Session Drummer Synth will filter out other input. I would guess that the DM6 uses channel 10 and sends the same note #'s as other midi drums which Session Drummer responds to.

Craig DuBuc
    Monstertone
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/01 13:00:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response, Craig.  Actually,  I have no idea.    I'm a complete MIDI newb.     I've put off learning this for years,  so now I'm forced.      I'll go over the manual and see what it says.  I was thinking that each drum would be on a different channel,  and that is why I would want to use omni.

But again,  I was just  assuming since I know almost zero about this...

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/01 13:20:09 (permalink)
    Monstertone

Thanks for the response, Craig.  Actually,  I have no idea.    I'm a complete MIDI newb.     I've put off learning this for years,  so now I'm forced.      I'll go over the manual and see what it says.  I was thinking that each drum would be on a different channel,  and that is why I would want to use omni.

But again,  I was just  assuming since I know almost zero about this...

What is nice about soft synth drums like Session Drummer is that you can have one midi track/midi channel sending data to the soft synth and have multiple audio tracks to output the sounds to keep them separate. When you insert the synth you can choose to insert a simple instrument track and everything is on one track, first synth audio output where you get one stereo audio track to output all the drum sounds, or all synth outputs stereo/mono where you can have each drum instrument on its own audio track. If you already know this... then nevermind. If you have never done it you might like to check it out.
    post edited by Chappel - 2010/08/01 13:36:27
    Monstertone
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/01 19:37:54 (permalink)
    ^Thanks for the info!    I do not know any of this,  so it's all great info for me.   I wish there was a comprehensive guide to all of this.    

I have Scott G's book,  but don't think he goes into the fine details of MIDI in it.    

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/01 21:01:40 (permalink)
    The "comprehensive" 5-page manual for the DM6 doesn't go into it, but yes, it transmits on channel 10.
    You will also want to set it to GM (General MIDI). See page 2.
    As Craig mentioned, it's best to set your MIDI track input to 10.
    Omni allows input from all 16 channels, so if you have a controller sending notes on say, channel 2, it will trigger drums along with whatever you are trying to play.
    Think of MIDI channels as traffic lanes. As long as your data stays in its lane, it will get where it needs to go.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    jmain
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/01 21:13:14 (permalink)
    Timely thread!!!  I got my DM6 about two weeks ago and now I'm waiting for 8.5PE to come in.  Really stoked about SD3.

Thanks for the info guys.

- Sonar X3 P
    - Cakewalk UA-25EX,  A-300Pro, Korg padKontrol.
    - Desktop:  Fractal Design Define Mini, i7 3770K, Asus P8Z77-M Pro, 16GB Ripjaws X,  500GB / 1TBx2 HDD, 1TB ext., Win 7 x64.
    - Mobile: Asus U47A-RS51, 750GB, 6GB, 1TB Portable, UA-1G. 
    - Instruments: MTD KZ6, CallowHill J(unk)5, P Bass, Strat, A/E Guitar, Djembe, Doumbek, Mridanga, Tabla.
     SoundCloud:  Ohm Groove
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/01 21:33:31 (permalink)
    Good deal, j. It's not a bad kit, and does a nice job of triggering the soft drums. I'm using it with Session Drummer 2 at the moment.
    Keep that spring on the kick pedal tight, or it tends to flutter some.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Monstertone
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/02 14:31:21 (permalink)
    I'm a little bummed right now,  because these technical issues are so frustrating.    I really like the DM6 drum kit, it's great for the money (I paid $399),  BUT I'm having a few issues.    By the way - the session drummer 3 samples are fantastic!

First - my kick drum is not triggering properly.   I can barely hear the sound in Cakewalk.    If I remove the cable from the kick pad,  and put it in one of the Toms,  I can hear the bass drum being triggered fine when I strike a Tom.    The kick seems to work fine with the built in Alesis kits though.  Very strange.  

Also - one of my Tom pads seems to not be working 100%.   If I strike it lightly,   no sound.   If I strike it firmly,  it works fine.    The others are all good to go.

I really want to get this thing up to 100% because I think it's going to be a great addition to Session Drummer.  

I'm in the queue for Alesis tech support as I type...
    Monstertone
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/02 14:33:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info,  Rob

I do have the DM6 set up for General MIDI.  I'll switch the MIDI input to channel 10 when I get home from work as well.

Cheers,

Tom
    Crg
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/02 17:06:10 (permalink)
    Setup can be a **** until you get it right and understand how the beast works. These aren't simple software machines to learn, there's a lot of variables at all stages in the process. Especially the multi-channel setup for Session drummer 3. Study the SD3 Editor, it has lot of variables. You can build your own kits rather than use a preset kit, which sometimes works and sounds better with a particular midi drum kit. On your DM6 you can turn off local control if you're not using the audio outs from it. This will prevent possible drum peice patch info from being sent from the DM6 which can cause some problems sometimes.

Craig DuBuc
    Monstertone
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/04 10:41:40 (permalink)
    Craig - how do you turn off local control on the DM6?  I see the "Drum off" button on the module,  but drum sounds are still created when I have that on".

Chappel
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/04 11:00:06 (permalink)
    Monstertone

Craig - how do you turn off local control on the DM6?  I see the "Drum off" button on the module,  but drum sounds are still created when I have that on".

According to the manual, the Drum Off switch will mute the sound of Patterns but not the sound of the drums as you play them.

"You can press DRUM OFF to mute the drum sounds of the accompanying Pattern. (This can be a useful practice tool when playing along with Patterns.) The Drum Off Indicator will light up, and you will still be able to trigger all pads, cymbals, and pedals in this mode. To unmute the Pattern, simply press DRUM OFF again and the Drum Off Indicator will be unlit.

The DM6 module can send MIDI information in two different formats: the internal format (default) or the GM format. (Note: If you record a performance using one format, it will only be playable on other devices that support that format.)

The internal format is used for the module to function as a sound source. "Program change" and "Note on/off" messages will be transmitted in this mode. This is the default
    mode

The GM format is used when the module is connected to a computer. In this format, you can use DM6 as a trigger-to-MIDI interface, triggering sounds from your favorite
    drum module software. Only "Note on/off" messages will be transmitted in this mode. (Also, the metronome and music that accompanies Patterns will not be sent, since it is
    not MIDI information.)"
    post edited by Chappel - 2010/08/04 11:03:42
    Crg
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/04 19:09:44 (permalink)
    Well I'm glad chappel had the answer. Sounds a bit complicated. Local control is a pretty universal term for turning off the drum machines program-patch changes. A patch is basically a particular instrument voice-sound, such as open hi-hat-closed hi hat, big bass drum, electronic bass drum, etc. When local control is on, it will instruct SD3 to play the set of Midi instructions included in the voice-patch. Some times the drum machine patch doesn't match any patch in the softsynth (SD3) kit you are using, close enough in instructions to make a "good Match". Busting down to GM allows the drum machine and softsynth to find a common voice that each have on file. From what Chappel says, you get the same result with the DM6 in GM mode.

Craig DuBuc
    Chappel
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/04 19:21:08 (permalink)
    I know nothing about the Drum Set so I looked up the manual and downloaded it. I'm getting quite a collection.

While the instrument names might not match up with the note numbers, the notes can always be transposed later to match the SD3 kit. The important thing is to get the notes recorded. If I were the OP I wouldn't even monitor the SD3 sounds. I would play the kit like I normally do while recording the midi data, then go in after the recording and move the notes around if needed.
    Crg
    Re:Configuring Alesis DM6 as trigger for Session Drummer 3 2010/08/04 19:57:00 (permalink)
    Chappel

I know nothing about the Drum Set so I looked up the manual and downloaded it. I'm getting quite a collection.

While the instrument names might not match up with the note numbers, the notes can always be transposed later to match the SD3 kit. The important thing is to get the notes recorded. If I were the OP I wouldn't even monitor the SD3 sounds. I would play the kit like I normally do while recording the midi data, then go in after the recording and move the notes around if needed.

That's one way to handle it. It's a little more complicated than transposing though. Each voice-patch is written with expression-duration-decay- timbre-EQ etc. For instance, that's why the Led Zeppelin kit doesnrt sound like the Jazz Kit. These comprise Midi instructions when local control is on and you're sending Midi. The same thing happens in GM, GM2, the controllers custom voices, the soft synths voices. Most controllers will send patch change-expression- and all the other instructions. Some soft synths will convert those messages to the closest match, some won't. When you send Yamaha drum kit # 306 to SD 3 drum kit #202 the instructions will be different and Sonar and Midi and both entities will make the best match.

Craig DuBuc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1