LockedIt's been awhile...

Author
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
2010/08/01 19:50:07 (permalink)

It's been awhile...

So, I thought I would post something and let you critique it. Fire at will!

Don't Care

6 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:It's been awhile... 2010/08/02 06:07:02 (permalink)
    opening is good, dunno if it's me but something seems slightly out of tune, i think it might be harmonic overtones rather than an overtly off pitch thing...anyhow i love your mix of electronic and rock stuff here. vocals are really great, they remind me a little of all those great shoegazing bands i like; lush, ride, chapterhouse etc
    this must have been one PITA to mix, so much stuff going on, i guess you've had your HP filters out, cos it all works, sounds balanced and it all gels, so it becomes a wall of sound. nice breakdown with the acoustics. final chorus with the strings is amazing, this really does sound great. one of my faves on the forum at the mo!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Re:It's been awhile... 2010/08/02 16:45:25 (permalink)
    Thanks. The whole song was a pain. The main guitar was supposed to be running forward (and it most likely a bit out of tune as it was a scratch track), I came up with the bridge before the chorus and the singer came up with the verses (which are really the only parts that have any traditional rhyming scheme).  Acoustics are a Beta 57 in a room with a bunch of computers and crap. I rerecorded them a couple of times and always thought the originals were better. You are right about the mix. Popular music is a mess anyway. You have a ton of things with the exact frequencies fighting for space and at times there are 30+ things (including some hard to hear synth parts) that are bunched up in one spot fighting it out. I I HPed everything until I thought the mud cleared or it started to affect the sound of the instrument (piano is destroyed though). The whole thing is a complete cluster, but I like how it worked out. 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:It's been awhile... 2010/08/02 20:26:01 (permalink)
    I thought it needed more bass.... but the tune is pretty well constructed.  The vox are good.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    karalie7@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 712
    Re:It's been awhile... 2010/08/04 02:27:54 (permalink)
    Hi there, The recording/mix is good on the lead vocals. The instruments is a bit over whelming in the mix or some distortion is happening. Keep up the work.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:It's been awhile... 2010/08/04 08:21:28 (permalink)

I'm much more used to your valiant attempts at bringing some sanity to the Producer forum..., so it's nice to hear some of your stuff.

A well crafted song with an excellent vocal, I love the way the arrangement unfurls to the climactic ending.

I think my one issue is with the backwards riff.  There's no doubt that the riff itself is a great idea and works as a melodic counter or even as a brake to hold up everything else but it may be worth trying it out with different sounds as the tone currently starts to get old too quickly to have the most impact when the acoustic guitar breakdown happens. Something a bit more dreamlike rather than grating perhaps.

A lot of words there to describe a small crit given in the context of this being an absolutely awesome track.

Lots of creativity originality and appeal in this really great song.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Re:It's been awhile... 2010/08/05 20:02:16 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

I'm much more used to your valiant attempts at bringing some sanity to the Producer forum..., so it's nice to hear some of your stuff.

A well crafted song with an excellent vocal, I love the way the arrangement unfurls to the climactic ending.

I think my one issue is with the backwards riff.  There's no doubt that the riff itself is a great idea and works as a melodic counter or even as a brake to hold up everything else but it may be worth trying it out with different sounds as the tone currently starts to get old too quickly to have the most impact when the acoustic guitar breakdown happens. Something a bit more dreamlike rather than grating perhaps.

A lot of words there to describe a small crit given in the context of this being an absolutely awesome track.

Lots of creativity originality and appeal in this really great song.

Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1