Getting ever closer to that new machine......

Author
Milt
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 781
2010/08/02 08:03:49 (permalink)

Getting ever closer to that new machine......

I am, with much trepidation I might add, about to purchase a new DAW computer, and it certainly looks like it will be one of Jim Roseberry's creations. I was wondering if anyone could point me to some good, plain speak info on migrating all my workstation stuff from my old machine to my new monster. Keep in mind that my eyes glaze over when all the techno-talk starts. Just some kind of step by step instruction would do. Thanks all, and may the compu-spirits be with me. Milt.

5 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Getting ever closer to that new machine...... 2010/08/02 12:48:38 (permalink)
    Hi Milt,

The migration will take some time (especially if you have a lot of new large sample libraries - Kontakt, Omnisphere, etc)...
    But the transition to Win7x64 is overall pretty smooth. 
    • Make sure your audio interface has solid x64 drivers
    • Plugin organization under x64 is a little more complex (just need to pay close attention when installing)
    I'd make sure to setup two separate VstPlugins folders (one for 64Bit plugins... and a 2nd for 32Bit plugins)
    C:\ProgramFiles\VstPlugins_64Bit
    C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\VstPlugins_32Bit

When you're installing plugins, pay careful attention to where the 32Bit and 64Bit dlls are installed.  (Make sure they're pointing to the right folder - otherwise you end up with a confused mess)

By keeping 32Bit and 64Bit plugin dlls separate, you have separate control of them.
    You can exclude 32Bit plugins, you can 'bridge' problematic 32Bit plugins using JBridge (3rd party applet that 'bridges' plugins - similar to Sonar's build in BitBridge).

Most 32Bit plugins work well with BitBridge2 ('bridges' 32Bit plugins in Sonar 8.5).
    If you encounter a particular plugin that just doesn't cope well with BitBridge2 (ie: Melodyne), you have two workarounds:
    • Purchase JBridge (~$21) and use that to bridge the problematic plugin
    • Open the project in the 32Bit version of Sonar... use the problematic plugin and freeze it.
    I'd install both the 32Bit and 64Bit versions of Sonar (they'll exist side-by-side).
    This gives you a fail-safe if you encounter a particular plugin that refuses to be bridged.

You'll need to do fresh install of all your apps/plugins...
    But one thing that can save significant time:
    If you have large plugin libraries (already on HD), you can copy those libraries over to the new machine (to your Sample HD).
    Then, install the accompanying plugin/s... and choose to not install the sample library.
    Once installed, open the plugin... and point it to the location of the sample library you copied over.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    kmcm
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Getting ever closer to that new machine...... 2010/08/02 19:25:21 (permalink)
    Dear Milt

By all means follow Jim Roseberry's hints

There is something called a transfer cable. It is a usb cable with dongle in the middle and comes with a software disc. After doing OS and Program installs, and of course Jim's suggestions, the tranfer cable is able to shift all your files and folders.  Additional to this, the transfer also shifts all you "settings" of the programs that you use, and this would save you a lot of time not having to reconfigure everything that you have become comfortable with.

Hope this helps - Kevin

Music Creator 5 - Gigabyte X48 motherboard - 4MB dd3 Ram - Intel Duo 3GHz - Windows Vista - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro - 4 x Sata2 Hard Drives in Striped RAID Array - Studio monitor amp and speakers - Yamaha Electric / Midi Piano

Kevin @ Brisbane Australia
    Milt
    Re:Getting ever closer to that new machine...... 2010/08/03 08:17:27 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jim. Thanks, Kevin. I can see that this is going to be quite an experience.  Jim, in your reply regarding plugin folders, you have- C:\ProgramFiles (X86)VstPlugins_32bit, I was wondering, what does the (X86) mean. Thanks for your time, I'm sure you are busy. Milt.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Getting ever closer to that new machine...... 2010/08/03 10:51:10 (permalink)
    Hi Milt,

When you see x86... it generally means 32Bit
    ie: When using Win7_x64 (64Bit Windows), 32Bit applications are (by default) installed under C:\Program Files (x86).
    64Bit applications are (by default) installed under C:\Program Files.

Here's a definition of "x86" from a Google search:
    "As the x86 term became common after the introduction of the 80386, it usually implies a binary compatibility with the 32-bit instruction set of the 80386."

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Milt
    Re:Getting ever closer to that new machine...... 2010/08/03 17:06:44 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jim. I should've checked google first.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1