What about the Audio Guys?

Author
Sylvan
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 793
2010/08/02 17:01:57 (permalink)

What about the Audio Guys?

The new drum productiuon video and just about all the videos for SONAR seem to be geared towards MIDI and soft synths. I would very much like to see some drum production videos for producing, recording, and mixing real drum kits. It would be nice to see other videos that have to do with non-MIDI/soft synth as well. I just hope Cakewalk doesn't forget about the us audio guys. I understand the popularity of MIDI and soft synth so of course keep that coming, just include a little something for the audio only guys too.

Just my concerns...

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB

14 Replies Related Threads

bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/02 17:18:02 (permalink)
    I agree.

For a good while now Sonar has been marketed as a DAW for people without friends.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/02 19:04:11 (permalink)
    I would very much like to see some drum production videos for producing, recording, and mixing real drum kits.

That would be very cool, indeed. Don't hold your breath, though. That would be a much more time-consuming and expensive production than Seth sitting in his office with a laptop.

And when the video was done, which SONAR feature would they be promoting to justify the effort? The ability to plug in microphones? Hardly a marketing bullet point.

But I agree, it would be very cool.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    dr.hash
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/03 01:50:32 (permalink)
    Look I don’t have drum kit but I do have some recordings, I will, if you give me time, give some master classes on Sonar and how to get a great sound in Sonar.  Parallel compression, tape simulation and knowledge, knowledge, knowledge.  It will take me a couple of months because I am in the middle of my thesis and final trimester for my masters of music technology.  Plus my brother and I are in the middle of purchasing a HD camera and setting up a website where these tutorials will be found.  So if you are patient these will be forthcoming.  Go to my mspace page and listen to Colour of The Signs.  The drums that we used were crap but I believe with a bit of knowledge and decent microphones we pulled it off.  I have another track I’ve got to finish the guitar on that has better drums although I had to replace the tom with a tom from the dimension pro instrument and I can give a master class in that too.  To make up for the lack of drums I will do some diagrams in word and give basic placements but it's your ears when it comes to placement.  Here is a tip from Colour Of The Signs the kick sound was done by using I think a Shure kick mic (not sure which one) this was placed in the sound hole and after listening i put a Beyer 88 on the outside and combined the two.  For overheads we used akg C414's but I love Rodes NT3's as overheads, its the placement though that is most important.  For the snare SM57.  Simple.  Look the more I know the less I know, once again I can give you a formula but please use it sparingly because I come from an audio school and they are crap unless you want to have academic credentials.  They will teach formula after formula and sometimes they wont even teach you that.  This is why music sounds all the same, Boring.  I'm interested in your opinion of Colour Of The Signs because the drums are great in my opinion but are nothing like modern recordings more to me a Hendrix style sound and that’s the point, the song is female Hendrix and needed that sound.
    Ok enough wanking.

Viva la Revolution
    Sonar Forever, Pro Tools Never
    Ben B.C.T (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)
    http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics
    [size=3 font="times new roman"] 
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/03 02:18:42 (permalink)
    Good ideas except this kind of knowledge has been around for years- Sonar is just a tool to get those recordings into the box- no?

Still, if the implement good recoridng techniques and show how it is done using sonar, I do agree it is good stuff and may very possibly help cakewalk climb higher in the DAW world

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/03 18:48:53 (permalink)
    Sylvan,

Recording a drum kit is a great idea. When I get a studio big enough to fit one, extra money to buy one, and the skills to play one then maybe I'll do a demo like that.

Until then you can apply the various mixing techniques of bussing, routing, and using the plugins to your recorded drum tracks. Audio is audio and it doesn't really matter if it's coming from a soft synth or a mic.
    dr.hash
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/03 19:41:30 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

Sylvan,

Recording a drum kit is a great idea. When I get a studio big enough to fit one, extra money to buy one, and the skills to play one then maybe I'll do a demo like that.

Until then you can apply the various mixing techniques of bussing, routing, and using the plugins to your recorded drum tracks. Audio is audio and it doesn't really matter if it's coming from a soft synth or a mic.

Hey look Seth, I agree it doesn’t matter if it is a soft synth or a real drum kit, same principles apply.  I am an ardent supporter of your software, I’ve decided to be a little less negative these days.  That last post was a little negative. 
    The guy is asking for a for tutorial, I am offering and I have the qualifications to do so.  This will be put upon my website and will help attract hits to my website.  So I am not doing it for mince pies.  I am participating in our community.  I think we have one of the best on-line forum communities for all the DAW's.  Look at the orchestral shootout and by the way that came about from one of my simple questions.

Have you seen the state of our industry, down here in oz we don’t have one unless it's live, live , live.  I think our friend who posted the op, obviously feels more comfortable with the real thing and wants this sort of tutorial. 

I am a product of these audio schools down here in the land of OZ and they are odious places who teach you nothing.  They are good if you want academic qualifications.  Academic qualifications are academic qualifications after all. 
    It is a difficult thing to mike up your first drum kit and then knowing what mikes to use, then to understand the mixing principles let alone parallel compression.  Which is a must when mixing in the box (I think this is what he asking for).

My point is rather than go to one of these odious audio schools and part with $40,000 which I think our op is not likely to do and even if he did he would be extremely disappointed with the result.  I will because I want hits on my website do these tutorials, I will also do this because I don’t want people to go to these schools, if they are just after a few tips and tricks come to my website.  At the moment JMC where I graduated from have doubled their audio school intake.  My woman can’t even book studio time.  The more graduates, the more competition for the graduates who have already graduated.  I have counted about 10 jobs advertised this year in our industry, this year. 

I have said before, I can give you the formula, but do you know how to use it.  It will still take years of practice to get it right.  Before I went to audio school I did five years of my own work and went to audio school full of ideas and knowledge (so I was ahead of the pack)all they did for me was tweak what I already knew.  Look study The Beatles, George Martin and Geoff Emerick; Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons and Queen.  Then you will know that the world is very small and life flows on within and without you.

So Seth lets be a little more community minded here in Sonar land, we don’t want one single customer to jump ship and turn to the dark side which is Pro Tools.  This is the best DAW on the market for what it offers and its price.  It offers the full set of tools, 64 double precision engine (which very few people understand) and in my opinion and with any luck and a little help from us all will become the industry standard.

Finally if people really had Paganini ears like mine they could hear that this is in fact the best sounding software on the market.  Everything else sounds could and grainy.

Viva la Revolution
    Ben B.C.T (Bachelor of Creative Technology)
    [size=3 font="times new roman"] http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics

Rain
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/03 20:35:04 (permalink)
    I get Seth's point there - and that was my first thought - the principles once the sound is recorded, are pretty much the same. 

Over the year, pretty much all of the tutorials I've seen coming from software companies focused on mixing, routing, tweaking recorded audio - the tracking part was left aside. Even Charles Dye's Mix it like a record focuses exclusively on the mixing process. Even SAWstudio, which is probably the least midi-oriented DAW software out there completely bypasses that part of the process... 

If you think of it, it all boils down to the fact that these are the only tools that all Sonar users have in common. Obviously, if you record real drums, the softsynth part you may want to overlook... But an annoying frequency in a bass drum sound is dealt w/ the same way whether it's a sampled lick or one you've recorded. 

Every engineer has his own set of mic recommendations, his own favorite techniques. As a Sonar user, I find it much more helpful to see a tutorial that focuses on the tools we all have than one that looks like hardware exhibition featuring stuff that's often discontinued/unaffordable for 90% of its user base.

On the other hand, this makes room for a great independent set of tutorials on studio techniques... 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    lapieuvre
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/03 22:51:03 (permalink)
    When I mix my drums, EzDrummer (VST), I treat it as a real drum.  I use multichannel, then open 8 stereo tracks, and mix the Kick, snare top/bottom, hh, toms, OH, etc. separately.  That could be a starting point for a tutorial.

Win 7 64 bits, Intel core2 quad Q9550 (2.83ghz)
    Fireface 800, Sonar X1 Producer
    Live 8 Suite, Kontakt 4

dr.hash
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/04 03:15:53 (permalink)
    Back again yea this is what i am talking about, i am not going to use any other tools other than the ones provided to me in Sonar, i am just going to use real drums.  I am going to give you some placement tips, but its your ear silly and i am going to give the microphone lists that i have from these audio schools and the one Ive used so rather than spend $400000 on a non existent audio career you get what you need from me.  And as one of the other posts said this will help Sonar which is also part of my goal.  I hate Pro Tools so much i have been expelled and close to expulsion because of my arguments with teachers about this program and how it has homogenized our industry.

Viva la Revolution
    Ben B.C.T (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)
    http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics 
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/04 03:48:10 (permalink)
    Its the same thing mixing whither its a midi or wav. The soft synth freezes the midi and you have 100% wav files which are the very same as sticking a mic on a snare.  You will probably have a better sound on the midi when bounced as not all drum sounds are equal and then you need a great drummer to get good sounds if you record live.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/04 11:22:22 (permalink)
    Sylvan

The new drum productiuon video and just about all the videos for SONAR seem to be geared towards MIDI and soft synths. I would very much like to see some drum production videos for producing, recording, and mixing real drum kits. It would be nice to see other videos that have to do with non-MIDI/soft synth as well. I just hope Cakewalk doesn't forget about the us audio guys. I understand the popularity of MIDI and soft synth so of course keep that coming, just include a little something for the audio only guys too.

Just my concerns...

I think the videos are to explain things that are not easy to do. Recording an audio track  is a fairly basic function and really doesn't require must in the way of training.  In fact if you did a drum production video you wouldn't even have to cover the software used, it could be any DAW.
    Sylvan
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 793
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/04 14:14:39 (permalink)
    Thank you all so very much.
    Dr. Hash: I like the way you think. We are certainly on the same page and I thank you for your input.
    Seth: I realize the mixing and routing techniques are the same between audio and soft synths, thank you for your input as well.
    Frank (ohhey): Very true, it could be any DAW if the video were just about drum production.
    But I would like to make this point… I actually am very familiar with the whole process from the ground up (drum production from real drum kits). Of course I am not an expert, but I have the foundational knowledge to start, experiment, and learn as I go.
    My number one reason for this post was just to share my hopes that Cakewalk remembers that there are many audio guys using this product and to keep the audio side of SONAR in their sights.
    Number two reason is that I am a little tired of hearing other DAW users say that, “Sure, SONAR is a great product for MIDI, but for audio editing you should use (fill in the blank)”. I would like to see a solid audio instructional video like Charles Dye’s “Mix it Like a Record” with SONAR as the platform. It would go a long way towards SONAR getting the respect it deserves out there in the pro industry.
    Yes, we can see audio tutorials from other DAWs, but how cool would it be to see one from SONAR? In my opinion, SONAR is the absolute perfect tool for my style of work and is top notch professional in every way. I love this awesome tool! New users would probably trust it more if big names like Charles Dye were using it to show the pro engineering techniques.
    I suppose the MIDI/soft synth videos are the same techniques, but it still would be pretty cool to see drum kits, guitar amps, and mics along with the SONAR track and console views from beginning to a polished final product with included raw projects to go along so users can mix along with the tutorial.

I just love this DAW and would like to see it grow and be considered as an industry standard contender.

P.S. I have worked with Cubase, Pro Tools, and Digital Performer. The other DAWS work fine and can do the job, thats all well and good I guess. But when I work in SONAR, it is more than just my tool. It is something that I feel was developed for me, set up to work the way my mind thinks. It is not simply my hammer or saw. It is an extension of my creative mind and I take pride in using it. Just my thoughts... thank you.
    post edited by Sylvan - 2010/08/04 14:22:50

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
    Asus X99-AII
    Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/04 17:10:28 (permalink)

New users would probably trust it more if big names like Charles Dye were using it to show the pro engineering techniques.

Maybe you could talk Charles Dye into making the video!

I have a feeling, though, that he's probably had enough of the video tutorial business. He worked really hard on his Mix it Like a Record video, trying to make sure it had some real meat in it. But in the end it looked amateurish and left a lot of holes in the exposition. Making these vids is a lot more work than you think.

I also doubt Charles made much money from it, which doesn't help motivation, either.

Most of what's in this latest CW video is familiar ground for Seth, and I've seen him give trimmed-down versions of it in product demos. Every year at NAMM I see interesting presentations by CW and visiting panelists (the game music panel was my favorite) and every one of them was captured on video. Some were streamed live. My question for Seth is: where are all those videos now?

post edited by bitflipper - 2010/08/04 17:17:02

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    dr.hash
    Re:What about the Audio Guys? 2010/08/04 18:48:09 (permalink)
    Final message on this one guys, sylvan you hit the nail on the head, this software and the flow of this software is awesome.  Yes this is some of the reason i too want to see this software become respected and to take the perch of industry standard.
    Bitfliper it's not about the money as i say there are other ways to make money on the Internet does not necessary mean subscription or you must buy.  As i say i am trying, once the website is running to get more hits.  The more hits, the more sponsorship and advertising you can sell, well at least that is what i am hoping.  And as i said it's also about giving the formula and secrets away so people who don't really want to go to audio school (to learn nothing about audio production) don't go.  Audio schools still say you must go to a mastering house to master.  Blah Blah Blah.  as we have discussed bitfliper in previous chats and i know this to be the case, the average consumer cannot hear the difference between an Avalon compressor and the emulator.  This does not mean that i endorse what we call music today.  Music is art and communication, not entertainment and shock.

Viva la Revolution
    Ben B.C.T (Bachelor of Creative Technology)
    P.s sorry you have to wait for this kind of stuff but all good things come to those who wait, doing a masters degree is a little hard and does take up my time and i still have to put all this together but if you have patience it will happen and i will keep you informed.  I'm not going away unless i die, I've got the hang of the digital world and i want to be king of the digital world.  Of course i could be an electronic troll and madman in a box but i am definitely doing my masters if anyone doubts my academic credentials please let me know and i will photograph them and post them.
    Peace and Love
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1