LockedQuestion ; Gate as guitar effect ?

Author
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
2010/08/03 16:32:13 (permalink)

Question ; Gate as guitar effect ?

Hi,

I'm trying to create pad kind of sound with guitar.
Sorry for stupid question, can I use sonitus gate for it ?
I'm total newbie, when it comes to gate effect.

For example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQEB6TCCjI

He creates lovely attack with gate to guitar sound?
I'm trying to achieve something similar, slow attack for the sound.

-janne
post edited by janetski - 2010/08/03 16:33:27

15 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 16:39:37 (permalink)
    That's not a gate.
    Gates do these things:
  • A gate opens and closes when the signal passes across the threshold.
  • The VCA in a Gate/Expander will turn everything down below the threshold and the VCA in a compressor will turn everything down above the threshold.
  • When the gate closes behind the sound, the gate doesn't open back up until the audio signal is above the threshold.
  • Gates are good for getting rid of ambient room noise. for example a noisy electric guitar.
  • Gates can be used as effects. They are commonly used on drum tracks to give it that 80's Phil Collins snare drum sound.
  • A gate turns the soft parts off below the threshold set by you

This effect sounds like he has a harmonizer and a chorus on his guitar. That's all.
    Cj
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2010/08/03 16:42:03

• www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 18:01:46 (permalink)
    But, he in fact is using a "gate" in the stomp box (GTR3 from Waves) as "part" of the sound.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 18:10:49 (permalink)
    I just listen to the first 15 seconds of the sound and that sound has no gate on it, unless the threshold is setrelaly really low. any Its a 3 minutes tape with different sounds as it progresses.
    If he doesn't want the first sound your hear, he should specify what timeline the sound is from, yes??
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 18:36:39 (permalink)
    The gate is to kill the attack and the tail of the dry guitar. Very normal stuff.
    ba_midi
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 18:37:11 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

I just listen to the first 15 seconds of the sound and that sound has no gate on it, unless the threshold is setrelaly really low. any Its a 3 minutes tape with different sounds as it progresses.
    If he doesn't want the first sound your hear, he should specify what timeline the sound is from, yes??
    Cj

CJ, if you watch the video the guy showing the product clearly states and shows there are 3 stompers in the plugin - the first being the "gate" which the presenter says handles the "fade in" of the initial attack/sound.

So all I'm saying is that there IS a gate being used, though it is not the entire story, so to speak.
    Obviously a gate alone cannot produce that sound, but it is being used in that 'patch'.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

CJaysMusic
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 18:40:56 (permalink)
    The fade in comes a minute into the sound!! Like Isaid. In listened to ther first 15 seconds of the sound and he turned the gate on at 56 seconds into the video

If the guy in the video is saying what he is using, why is the original poster asking how to make this sound??
    He says what he is using, if you listen to the entire 3 minutes. Does the poster not want to listen to the entire 3 minutes??
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 18:48:46 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

The fade in comes a minute into the sound!! Like Isaid. In listened to ther first 15 seconds of the sound and he turned the gate on at 56 seconds into the video

If the guy in the video is saying what he is using, why is the original poster asking how to make this sound??
    He says what he is using, if you listen to the entire 3 minutes. Does the poster not want to listen to the entire 3 minutes??
    Cj

The OP was pretty clear. He asked if the gate in Sonar can be used and for the most part a gate is a gate. Just because you don't know what you're doing is no reason to attack him for asking a question.
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 20:20:03 (permalink)
    Not sure which version of Sonar you have but you can get very close and maybe a bit better with just Sonitus Gate and FxVerb, and it's way more tweakable than the stomp modelers in GTR3.
    ba_midi
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 20:22:52 (permalink)
    10Ten

Not sure which version of Sonar you have but you can get very close and maybe a bit better with just Sonitus Gate and FxVerb, and it's way more tweakable than the stomp modelers in GTR3.

I didn't watch the whole video, but the sound I heard seemed to have a long sustain that MAY have been accomplished via some form of compression (maybe with a "hold" function that some have) along with the gate/reverb, etc.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 20:28:36 (permalink)
    ba_midi

10Ten

I didn't watch the whole video, but the sound I heard seemed to have a long sustain that MAY have been accomplished via some form of compression (maybe with a "hold" function that some have) along with the gate/reverb, etc.

Yeah, he had a comp, 2 verbs a mod or two and a gate. I got it down to 2 fx (FxVerb has a really long sustain and built in mod of sorts) and no amp sim and it sounds really cool.

post edited by 10Ten - 2010/08/03 20:29:56
    ba_midi
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 20:35:32 (permalink)
    Yeah, he had a comp, 2 verbs a mod or two and a gate. I got it down to 2 fx (FxVerb has a really long sustain and built in mod of sorts) and no amp sim and it sounds really cool.

Is the FxVerb the one that came with an older version of Sonar?  Or is that some 3rd party verb?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 20:40:34 (permalink)
    ba_midi

Is the FxVerb the one that came with an older version of Sonar?  Or is that some 3rd party verb?

I just did a clean install of 8 (.0 only) and the 8.5s and I had it in the Cakewalk folder.
    ba_midi
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 21:03:27 (permalink)
    10Ten

ba_midi

I just did a clean install of 8 (.0 only) and the 8.5s and I had it in the Cakewalk folder.

Yeah, I think it is the CW/Sonar verb that came with one of the older versions (I'm not at my DAw now, but I'm pretty sure that's it).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 21:31:29 (permalink)
    FX Reverb = the reverb Cakewalk licensed from DSP/FX I think... If I'm not mistaken, it was also referred to as Studioverb for a while... Haven't used it in a while so I couldn't confirm.

Unless we're talking about the old Pro Audio legacy reverb, but I highly doubt it...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Re:Question ; Gate as guitar effect ? 2010/08/03 21:34:45 (permalink)
    Rain

FX Reverb = the reverb Cakewalk licensed from DSP/FX I think... If I'm not mistaken, it was also referred to as Studioverb for a while... Haven't used it in a while so I couldn't confirm.

Unless we're talking about the old Pro Audio legacy reverb, but I highly doubt it...

It does say DSP-Fx Studioverb in the GUI.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1