kontakt and fm8 are freezing sonar

Author
dbouch
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2010/08/04 00:46:23 (permalink)

kontakt and fm8 are freezing sonar

i've recently purchased NI's Komplete.  two of the app's - kontakt and fm8 cause sonar to simply freeze or lock up.  they don't "crash", no blue screen of death.   they just stop responding to any mouse activity.  when i "ctl-alt-del" to unload kontakt, it takes sonar with it.  i can't seem to find any single command or activity that triggers the freeze-up.  but it always occurs sooner or later, mostly sooner, after i load the plug-in.  

i should add that both app's run fine in stand alone mode.  also, so far, i've had no problems with absynth, battery, or reaktor (which i've spent almost no time with yet.) in sonar.

i am running 8.5.1

any ideas??

thanks in advance

dbouch

5 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:kontakt and fm8 are freezing sonar 2010/08/04 01:11:45 (permalink)
    Are you running a 64bit windows and sonar?
    Do you have any midi controllers connected to your pc?
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    Re:kontakt and fm8 are freezing sonar 2010/08/04 11:50:26 (permalink)
    Can we safely assume that you are running the NI apps as VST plugs within Sonar? The reason I ask is that you mention trying to alt-ctrl-del out of the stuck app, but that doesn't make sense in the context of a plug-in.

Also, after installing Komplete, have you used NI's Service Centre app to download updates for each of the Komplete apps? If you are using Komplete 6, most (or all?) of the individual apps have been updated since its release.  Note that Service Centre does not apply the updates - it only downloads, and you have to run each updater individually.  Then you must run each of the NI apps as stand-alone before attempting to use them as plug-ins.  I also run the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager and re-scan the VSTs before attempting to load them, although I think that this is just a superstition of mine.

FWIW, I find all of the NI apps to work trouble-free (well, almost) in Sonar 8.5.3 in a 32-bit XP environment.
    dbouch
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:kontakt and fm8 are freezing sonar 2010/08/04 12:02:24 (permalink)
    thanks for responding, guys.  i have not upgraded any of the apps in komplete since purchase.  i'll do that next.  i'll also upgrade to the latest sonar.

FYI  i'm running xp sp2.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:kontakt and fm8 are freezing sonar 2010/08/04 12:11:36 (permalink)
    Im using XP SP3 with 8.5.3. Maybe you should update that also
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:kontakt and fm8 are freezing sonar 2010/08/04 12:40:02 (permalink)
    dbouch

thanks for responding, guys.  i have not upgraded any of the apps in komplete since purchase.  i'll do that next.  i'll also upgrade to the latest sonar.

FYI  i'm running xp sp2.

Also be aware that some of the NI apps require that you run them in STANDALONE mode first, to make some basic settings.  Then you can use the plugin versions in Sonar (doing a VST scan first, of course).

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1