Tranposing audio

Author
rambeaux
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 143
2010/08/04 03:14:54 (permalink)

Tranposing audio

I swear I did this a couple of weeks ago, and it worked fine, but now I'm having trouble..

I have an mp3 file that I want to transpose down 1 step.  I dragged it in to SONAR, highlight it, and select Process - Transpose.  I've tried several of the presets/engines - MPEX Mix Polyphonic, Radius, etc.   I'm not clear on the difference between the 'Amount' at the top of the Transpose dialog and the 'Formant Scaling' thingy down below...  

What happening is that clicking OK either doesn't make anything happen, or some times it gives me a progress bar for processing, but either way, the audio doesn't change pitch.  How on earth am I supposed to change the pitch of an audio clip if highlighting the clip and selecting process - transpose doesn't  do it?

Sorry for the stupid question ... can you help?

6 Replies Related Threads

fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re:Tranposing audio 2010/08/04 03:51:55 (permalink)
    I have never really managed to Transpose audio properly.  Some tools are better than others but if its more than a semi tone then it don't work.
    I am sure some companies will have software in the future that can do it properly.
    Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:Tranposing audio 2010/08/04 06:16:08 (permalink)
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Tranposing audio 2010/08/04 07:21:27 (permalink)
    Sonar has an audio transposing/stretching tool in the Process>Audio Fx>Cakewalk menu but it isn't very good. It is called Time/Pitch Stretch 2.

Edited for accuracy.
    post edited by Chappel - 2010/08/04 09:04:47
    guylemec
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re:Tranposing audio 2010/08/04 09:00:30 (permalink)
    rambeaux

I swear I did this a couple of weeks ago, and it worked fine, but now I'm having trouble..

I have an mp3 file that I want to transpose down 1 step.  I dragged it in to SONAR, highlight it, and select Process - Transpose.  I've tried several of the presets/engines - MPEX Mix Polyphonic, Radius, etc.   I'm not clear on the difference between the 'Amount' at the top of the Transpose dialog and the 'Formant Scaling' thingy down below...  

What happening is that clicking OK either doesn't make anything happen, or some times it gives me a progress bar for processing, but either way, the audio doesn't change pitch.  How on earth am I supposed to change the pitch of an audio clip if highlighting the clip and selecting process - transpose doesn't  do it?

Sorry for the stupid question ... can you help?

The Process-Transpose command works for me on highlighted audio clips. After transposing, the clip shows a +n or -n number in its top left corner to indicate the shift.
    The Amount is the number of semitones you want to move the pitch up or down (12 for an octave). I've used only the Radius options - for solo or for multivoice, as appropriate - with suitable results.
    I've never dragged an mp3 file into a Sonar track - sounds really useful - I'll try it out.
    However, perhaps Sonar doesn't like something about the mp3 format and you could try bouncing (to clip or to track) the dragged-in clip before attempting the transpose - you never know!
    Good luck.

I'm a guitarist, not a scientist, recording audio/midi via SONAR Platinum.
    Win7 x64, i7, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, A-500 Pro, 12GB RAM, 2.9GHz
    rambeaux
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:Tranposing audio 2010/08/04 21:18:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips.

Audigy certainly did the trick, but I'm bound and determined to get it done in SONAR.  As I said up front, I did it before with no problem.   I'll play with it some more - bouncing the track might be a good thing to try...
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Tranposing audio 2010/08/05 06:51:12 (permalink)
    Have you tried converting it to a wav file and then import it into Sonar?

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1