Como un gorrion (Like a sparrow)

Author
NoKey
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 974
2010/08/04 10:39:57 (permalink)

Como un gorrion (Like a sparrow)

Hi good people,

I studied, played, and recorded this song last night. Please let me know what you think about it.

It's a song the young author composed from having met a humble girl at a cafe in Madrid. In the conversation, she described herself as a sparrow that flies close to the ground, has no jealousy for hawks, and cares herself from cats. The song and lyrics are at Soundclick:
http://www.soundclick.com...857&songID=9484507

I welcome and value critique as the best incentive to correct my lack of training and proper self-judgment.

Thanks everyone.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857

7 Replies Related Threads

peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:Como un gorrion (Like a sparrow) 2010/08/06 00:47:27 (permalink)
    The timing is off to the point of sounding out of tune.
    I don't like the instruments you use in the intro.  They sound so midi-ish.  
    I could never figure out what the piano line was trying to do. It just didn't sound in sync with the organ.
    The organ kept cutting off abruptly instead of fading naturally.
    That ending instrument was ugly and midi-sounding.
    Pleasing melody.
    Your voice was the best thing. You sang with such passion, it made the song worth listening to, no matter the quality.

I'm not good at sequencing myself, so I can't help you with any tips, can't tell you how to correct anything. I mostly just plug and play, piano and stringpad. Unimaginative, I know.

But keep on. You've got a good idea in mind here. We can hear it trying to form. It's just not there yet.

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    NoKey
    Re:Como un gorrion (Like a sparrow) 2010/08/06 01:07:04 (permalink)
    Thank you peggy.

I agree 100% and more.

I am actually working on a replacement.

Yeah, it's really out of whack.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:Como un gorrion (Like a sparrow) 2010/08/06 01:32:15 (permalink)
    I just listened to your Como un Lunar Cha Cha version, and it was fantastic. Then I listened to your non-Cha Cha version, and there was that timing problem again. And it seemed to flounder and not know where it was going or what it was supposed to be playing.

But your Cha Cha version was absolutely superb. Except the organ gets warbled somewhere there in the middle in a short solo. Everything else is tight, confident-sounding, and powerful. 

I can't figure out, though, why there would be such a discrepancy in your music. Same artist, same talent, right? And yet, there's a world of difference in the quality of the Cha Cha versus your other songs. 

I can't tell you where that organ gets warbly, by the way, because Chrome isn't allowing your pop-up player to open in my browser window so I can see the time.

post edited by peggysuechan - 2010/08/07 00:09:46

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    karalie7@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 712
    Re:Como un gorrion (Like a sparrow) 2010/08/06 02:11:35 (permalink)
    Hi there, some of the mix is good but the vocals and music are not flowing together. The idea for the song is very creative. Keep working it out. Blessings.
    NoKey
    Re:Como un gorrion (Like a sparrow) 2010/08/06 20:52:00 (permalink)
    Thanks good people.

I have been working precisely on the problem of fluidity in the sound modules.

I have been overcooking my setup with  a little too much of ingredients, I think.

I am currently re-doing the whole setup, before I try again.

savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:Como un gorrion (Like a sparrow) 2010/08/06 23:51:16 (permalink)
    Mr. Nokey.  I can tell what you are trying to capture here but it sounds as though the tracks were recorded without the effort or ability to syncronize them. Perhaps your monitoring method is causing a delay so the tracks are not lining up as they should. Your voice is very emotional and pleasing and your  playing proficiency seems up to par so maybe this problem is caused by a hardware/software glitch. The Cakewalk help forums on this site are really good at analizing and solving troubles like these. I like your work.  Looking forward to hearing your next piece...........Ron  
    post edited by savageopera - 2010/08/06 23:56:16

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    NoKey
    Re:Como un gorrion (Like a sparrow) 2010/08/07 08:12:01 (permalink)
    Hi everyone, again, and thanks for the good points you added, Ron.

I have replaced the song with a completely re-done one.

I hope it does sound less MIDIsh, has better timing, and improved vocals. I am still using the free Proteus VX mainly, though but it seems to have more fluidity now, and I hope better overall sound quality. Hardware also is still the same. Modest laptop with an Audigy 2 Zs card.

I checked all settings of softwares, and found some bad ones that I believe have corrected.

I would appreciate view and critique on whether or not there is improvement in line with the comments made (which I value highly) for this self-imposed learning task that I find interesting, and, though difficult, much enjoyable. Also, of course, any new comments are most welcome, as I want to do all I can improve.

Song location is the same:

http://www.soundclick.com...857&songID=9484507

Thanks everyone, again!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1