Behringer Mixer, built-in compressor, fx for feeding Sonar?

Author
SonicExplorer
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 775
2010/08/04 17:04:17 (permalink)

Behringer Mixer, built-in compressor, fx for feeding Sonar?

Hi,

Have a rehearsal studio configured as a hybrid live/recording environment that ultimately feeds in/thru a Sonar DAW.  We don't do keeper-recording tracks there, but rather pre-production.  Anyway, we need to replace our mixer and were contemplating some of the newer Behringer 2xxx Xenyx mixers, specifically those that have the 1-knob compressor on the tracks, as well as digital FX.  Can anybody comment on the quality in general, as well as the compressor's ability to be effective at taming very dynamics of rock vocals so we aren't overloading the DAW inputs?  Would one of these mixers do the job for what we need or are they total crap?   I've found very little in the way of hands-on, competent reviews and was hoping some fellow Sonar users might have some experiences to share.

Thanks,

Sonic
post edited by SonicExplorer - 2010/08/04 17:20:01

4 Replies Related Threads

dr.hash
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Behringer Mixer, built-in compressor, fx for feeding Sonar? 2010/08/04 18:31:51 (permalink)
    What is your budget, that's the question.  I dont know about these mixers, behringer stuff is getting better, but the low-low end stuff stear clear.

Viva la Revolution
    Sonar Forever Pro Tools Never
    Ben B.C.T (Bachelor of Creative Technology)
    http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics
    NW Smith
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re:Behringer Mixer, built-in compressor, fx for feeding Sonar? 2010/08/05 09:28:40 (permalink)
    I haven't personally used the specific model you're referring to, but I have used other Behringer Mixers with Built In FX.  In my experience, using the built in effects was difficult because of noise.    I hope your mixer has a quieter built-in FX. 

My Website:
    http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
    My Music on Bandcamp:
    http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
    xray2
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re:Behringer Mixer, built-in compressor, fx for feeding Sonar? 2010/08/05 10:27:41 (permalink)
    Well, I have the Behringer 2442FX XENYX (16 Channel mixer), and while I won't say this is typical of the model, here are my experiences. 

Actual Audio recorded from the mixer seems pretty good, although I haven't tried the direct connect USB thingy that comes with it.  As for the bad (get some popcorn, this will take a while)

-For some reason channels 2 and 4 seem to not work, as in I have to shove the faders as far as they'll go to get barely audible sound.  Occasionally they will "decide" to work properly after a random, unknown measure of time, but for the most part, they can't be trusted to function correctly.

-The synth I had on channels 3 & 4 I moved to 1 & 3, which seem to work, mostly.  I have to push the volume on channel 3 higher to get it to match the volume on channel 1.

-The trim doesn't work on Channel 10.

-Haven't messed much with the effects (and would probably never use them in recording) but when playing around with them I didn't hear any difference.  Noting other 'issues', they may not work as well.

-And the most frustrating thing is the right channels on the A-B busses don't work, as in no audio at all.  Since I use the bus outs to run to the 'Audio in' on the computer, I really can only record one track at a time.  Well, not completely true, I can record two tracks but they are both coming from the same left side output.  So in essence, there is no "pan right" audio coming out of the busses.

I bought this to replace a Yamaha 16 channel mixer and I'm missing that one badly.  I still have it in the attic and may just see what the cost might be of repairing that one.

Like I mentioned before, this may not be indicative of Behringer stuff, or even this model, but the experience has put a bad enough taste in my mouth to NOT want to try any other Behringer electronics ever.
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:Behringer Mixer, built-in compressor, fx for feeding Sonar? 2010/08/05 15:00:57 (permalink)
    I have a 12 year old Behringer Eurodesk MX8000 that is still going strong, though I had to have the PSU repaired recently.

That said I wouldn't get too excited about the built in effects in their mixers. Sonar, working at 24 bits, will give you more than enough headroom to not require an outboard compressor. Also Sonar's built in effects will be far better than Behringers.

The only thing that might be useful externally would be a bit of monitor reverb to help vocalists along.

Really you should be matching your mixer requirement to the number of inputs that your audio interface has. What might then matter most is how many buss sends the mixer has. Mine has eight. I put stereo drums on two, snare and kick on another two, leaving 4 for guitars, bass and a vocal.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1