SI DrumKit - How to send each piece of a drumkit to separate tracks?

Author
Pyslarash
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2010/08/04 20:03:38 (permalink)

SI DrumKit - How to send each piece of a drumkit to separate tracks?

I want to work with bass-drum, snare, hi-hats, etc. separately: use EQ to them, and all other stuff, but I don't really know how to do it. How can I create separate tracks for each of the pieces of a drumkit?
Thanks.

7 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:SI DrumKit - How to send each piece of a drumkit to separate tracks? 2010/08/04 20:09:46 (permalink)
    what are you using sequencer wise?

if it's sonar (or the cake sequencers), you get the dialog box up asking you what sorta outputs you want.. stereo or separate audio outs

I just had a quick look , it only supports 1 main stereo or mono out.

Session drummer 2 / 3 support multi-outs though

if you wanted to do separate outs, I would say set-up a new audio track, and just mute the other drums

or copy it to another midi part  and delete the other drum notes.

post edited by Fog - 2010/08/04 20:58:28
    Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:SI DrumKit - How to send each piece of a drumkit to separate tracks? 2010/08/12 14:03:30 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein's video is the definitive guide for how to do this in Sonar:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2056253

I was watching and re-watching these videos for hours - some GREAT tips on how to use Sonar/Session Drummer 3 from beginning to end.

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    Fog
    Re:SI DrumKit - How to send each piece of a drumkit to separate tracks? 2010/08/12 14:55:27 (permalink)
    SI drums and sesssion drummer 2/3 are different.. the last 2 have seperate outs.. where as SI drums doeesn't

BUT I notice they are doing a special on session drummer at the moment as this months special

EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:SI DrumKit - How to send each piece of a drumkit to separate tracks? 2010/08/14 16:29:29 (permalink)
    Found the same issue a few daze ago after watching the exciting things SD3 has in the videos. Quickly found that SI-Drums has only the stereo/mono out. Started working on a piece per track deal and soon became frustrated with it.

My Question: Is SD2 compatible with SHS7XL ???

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    Fog
    Re:SI DrumKit - How to send each piece of a drumkit to separate tracks? 2010/08/14 18:28:33 (permalink)
    yep , it's a "vst" and HS supports vst's I'm sure. I think SI is aimed at , well a certain market.. that SD2 / SD3 aren't.

EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:SI DrumKit - How to send each piece of a drumkit to separate tracks? 2010/08/15 18:51:04 (permalink)
    A followup on what I found. Wanting multi-out myself I splurged and bought the SD2 download. It installed nicely and presents itself properly on the synth list. I loaded up a project that I'd worked on with SI-DrumKit. I'd been trying to create pieces on individual tracks. (i.e. a kick & hhat to date) Next I logged on to YouTube and dialed the Cakewalk channel up where they have a very nice set of videos on SD3. Following stroke for stroke (adapting the different interface) I quickly had 8 stereo, 1 Midi & 1 Folder tracks in the project. I was beginning to grin... until the dude reached in the upper right corner of the SD3 interface for the Step Seq. SD2 has none. Apparently SD3 interfaces seamlessly with the SS. The SS recognizes the program and loads itself accordingly, plus a couple other things I can't remember. Anyway... I loaded my SS from the tool bar, but of course had nothing there but defaults. Oddly enough 'play' on the SS initiated the pattern I had loaded in SD2 as well as playing my tracks in the project. That was weird. The SS HAD correctly associated itself with my selected multi-out midi track. That at least was as it should be. In the end... just so I could play with the whole deal I dropped a pattern into the MIDI track and then used the PRV to fiddle around with it on the various tracks.

Moral: $9.95 for SD2 and I have drums multi-out, Step Seq that will work for creative work but won't load the pattern from SD2. Now I have a new set of issues to muddle through. ^_^ But hey, original problem fixed. If you're not overly concerned about the Step Seq and don't mind using the PRV for editing, etc... it's a fairly cheap work-around.

It is a shame the SI-DrumKit isn't multi-out but I understand the marketing here. Since SI-DrumKit is modeled after/with SD3 which is exclusive to SONAR 8.5... adding multi-out to SI-DrumKit would just make us all happy with what we've got. ;-p

ETG

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    Fog
    Re:SI DrumKit - How to send each piece of a drumkit to separate tracks? 2010/08/15 20:42:37 (permalink)
    studio instruments + session drummer 2&3 are aimed at different markets though.

e.g. with SI your getting the 4 in 1..

SI for the price is ok enough, I mean divide it by 4, then the module costs aren't so much

post edited by Fog - 2010/08/15 20:47:29
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1