Lighting rig for live band

Author
superbirch
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
2010/08/05 09:21:22 (permalink)

Lighting rig for live band

Hi

We are a 5 piece band playing small to medium indoor and occasional outdoor venues. We've never really looked at lighting before and always used the venue's own rig.

We have a chance to get a good deal on a pair of 4 LED lamps + tripods + controller - they are 2 Equinox MaxiBar systems.

So if anyone is famailiar with these, could you comment on suitablility? We'd like something we can just set up and leave as someone to operate is not an option. What is the best way to arrange the lights? At the back of the stage will sillouhete the band I'd have thought, how about at the sides of the stage?

All advice much appreciated.

sb

5 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Lighting rig for live band 2010/08/05 10:46:06 (permalink)
    I don't know much about show lighting... but I have come to appreciate the new light weight LED rigs because many small venues do not have separate power available for a full blown tungsten kit that needs lots of current. HMIs are great... but they cost a fortune.

I'd suggest you continue to shop around a bit but focus on LED choices.

best regards,
    mike

superbirch
    Re:Lighting rig for live band 2010/08/06 03:09:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Mike, yes LED is the way to go for us, and the rig we are looking at is just that.

Thanks.
    Storm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 808
    Re:Lighting rig for live band 2010/08/06 11:09:24 (permalink)
    Do you have a link for the items?

Ideally you need the brightest lights in front of you because you want people to see you. The lights behind you are usually diffused to provide the depth. Simply putting lights in front makes the band look really 'flat.' So, you sort of operate on the principles of 3 point lighting...something bright from an angle in front, something softer from the front on the opposite side, and diffused lighting from behind. That helps bring out the dimensions of the people on stage.
    post edited by Storm - 2010/08/06 17:33:40
    superbirch
    Re:Lighting rig for live band 2010/08/06 14:41:31 (permalink)
    Hi Storm

Thanks for the reply, just the kind of information I am looking for. Here's the link. We can get 2 of these. I thought to place either side of the stage, angled slightly back towards the drummer?

TIA

sb

http://prolight.co.uk/item/EQLED62/
    Storm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 808
    Re:Lighting rig for live band 2010/08/06 17:43:20 (permalink)
    Those look great and with DMX you can fully control them once you get an operator too. For now the foot switch seems to run various programs which is nice.

Can you get a third?

These will work well as you described. Since each has it's own pivot point you can angle each light independently. What you'd want to do ideally is have the audience side light on each tripod shoot white across the stage to highlight faces. Hopefully you can set the programs to never change those whites. The other three distribute light towards the rest of the stage. You still want something from the back though (ideally). Your choices are a good diffused light from the floor up or ceiling downward. Since you're running a mobileish rig, what would work good is a great floor light shooting backwards behind the drummer onto some sort of canvas that you hang. It will reflect enough back to the audience to add depth for you. But most venues have some sort of ceiling lights (I hope) so your two out front might work well with the house lights.

http://www.mediacollege.c...e-point/simulator.html
    Turn the back light on and off to see the difference.

More reading for you.
    http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1