Anyone here know anything about telephone cables?

Author
pdlstl
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 991
2010/08/05 13:13:48 (permalink)

I'm talking about the one that plugs in the wall and goes to the phone.

Looking at the plug it appears that there are 4 conductors in the wire. I need a cable with the same size (as a phone) plug on each end but with 6 conductors. It is not an ethernet cable as they have a larger connector.

This is used to connect  a small box with a camera in it (by the side of my studio front door) to a unit that will sit near me in the control room. This unit has a tv screen so I can see who is at my front door. It also will allow me to talk to them.

If I put an electric lock on my front door, it would also allow me to unlock the door from the control room. I'm guessing that's what the two extra conductors are for.

Is there enough info provided that someone can help me?

Thanks,

Earl

16 Replies Related Threads

Ham N Egz
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 13:21:10 (permalink)
    that is an RJ12 6 position 6 conductor plug, same size as an rj 11
    im surprised the manufacturer of your system doesnt have a pre made cable already

I have googled it and am coming up with bulk cable and connectors but no premade cables , you would have to purchase those plus a crimp tool and do it yourself

Google RJ-12

EDIT I did find this:
     http://www.amazon.com/Rev...=1281029371&sr=8-1
    post edited by musicman100 - 2010/08/05 13:30:50

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 13:39:36 (permalink)
    I have seen these cables..... the mfg should have included all the parts needed to install the system.....

A phone uses 2 wires in the jack..... many cables only have 2 wires even though the connector will handle 4....

I have installed a few intercoms (Aiphone) that have a camera and a speaker at the door...and the ability to unlock the door...... IIRC... it's been a while since I put one in or serviced one.... the camera and the speaker all work on the same 2 wires. The door lock release is done on a separate pair of wires.

If you know what wires go to what...and polarities, you can buy the connectors (punch down or screw type) and make you own connections.

edit:   you should have the wiring diagrams in the box..... or you can search the  company web site to find them. What you are describing is a video intercom with door release.   Use the power supply that the mfg recommends for this unit, and the wiring that they recommend... if not you will get hum. I know... I tried to use a cheaper PS on one of the first ones I installed...... to save money... and the system worked but the hum was too much. I had to buy the correct supply..... quiet as a mouse.

Use a seperate power supply for the lock. It will work better and that supply can be a cheaper one at the rated voltage of the lock/door strike.

I have an electric strike on my home's front door...... with a keypad installed outside.... works so much better than keys.  If you are installing an electric strike...consider installing a keypad that you can easily change the codes on....... you will not regret it.  It has worked well for our family. My girls have never had to keep track of a key..... just a code. We have a hidden key to the back door in the event of an extended power failure.... my system is powered by a battery backup that keeps it running for 24 hrs.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/05 13:49:09

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    pdlstl
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 13:46:47 (permalink)
    Well guys, there is a cable that came with...about SIX feet long. Might as well just get up and open the door!

At least you've informed me that it's out there and I just need to search for it. I feel better now.

Thanks!

Earl

PS - Another quick question. About how long of a run will be able to get away with?
    post edited by pdlstl - 2010/08/05 13:48:37
    pdlstl
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 13:50:25 (permalink)
    Well another quick post.

Would this work?

http://www.cablestogo.com..._id=3537&sku=09598

Guitarhacker
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 13:53:32 (permalink)
    Do you have a link to the product on line?

As far as cable length....... in a home... pretty much as far as you need. I have intercom and door release cables running for several hundred feet and working fine in a number of places.

Even 24 gauge wire will let you run an intercom quite far. Bigger wire.... 18 gauge will go even further. Usually the manufacturer has the maximum distance chart based on wire size in the installation manual.

If the wire is too short..... cut it, and splice it to a longer wire to make it reach where it needs to go. Use good connectors to make the connections..... don't twist it and tape it.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 13:55:19 (permalink)
    That cable might work if the cable that came with it is a straight through cable as well..... but it's only a foot longer.....

edit.... headed to the pool..... sorry....wish you all were here.... I will try to check back later.... but can't promise..... hope this info has helped.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/05 13:56:39

BMI/NSAI

Ham N Egz
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 13:56:23 (permalink)
    pdlstl

Well another quick post.

Would this work?

http://www.cablestogo.com..._id=3537&sku=09598

AFA pinout YES AFA length , no

Warranty: Lifetime
    • Color: Silver
    • Length: 7ft
    • Mfr: Cables To Go
    • Weight: 0.120lbs

There should be something in the install manual that lists the  maximum length and AWG size for the conductors..

the cable from amazon will do the trick

I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

pdlstl
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 13:59:02 (permalink)
    I got this off ebay a couple of years ago. It was cheap and the mfg. is a no-name Pac-rim operation. It works ok and that's all I really need.

I need to run about 80-100 feet.

Thank you so much for all the great info!!!

Earl
    pdlstl
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 14:01:24 (permalink)
    MM, they have it in 50' lengths as well. That will be cool?

Earl
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 14:11:54 (permalink)

Other than they be the very tendrils of wickedness, foul filaments of fear. 

Rid yourself of them at the first sighting otherwise they will cover everything like some demented breed of Ivy and by then it will be too late.

Stockpile plenty of non-perishable food stuffs, build a foil insulated living chamber below ground and just do the best you can to ignore 'the voices'.

I'm surprised this kind of practical warning hasn't been covered yet but sometimes it's easy to overlook the obvious.

HTH

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    pdlstl
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 14:16:36 (permalink)
    You nailed JB!
    Ham N Egz
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 14:17:06 (permalink)
    pdlstl

MM, they have it in 50' lengths as well. That will be cool?

Earl

It will be UBER-COOL, so cool, AAMOF, you will have to put a parka on to handle it....

seriously, if 50 feet will get from your vantage point up/through/into wall or ceiling to the unut outside, by all means the shorter length.

the 6 foot length was probably meant when you mounted the control unit on the inside wall opposite the camera unit on the outside.

pdlstl
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 14:20:53 (permalink)
    That's probably it.

Thank you kind sirs all.
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 14:22:34 (permalink)
    Use children.  While they require more overhead, they can also perform other basic tasks including, Find the Remote, Find Dad's keys, Get Dad a Snack, and What did your Mother say?
    NoKey
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 14:24:08 (permalink)
    pdlstl

I'm talking about the one that plugs in the wall and goes to the phone.

Looking at the plug it appears that there are 4 conductors in the wire. I need a cable with the same size (as a phone) plug on each end but with 6 conductors. It is not an ethernet cable as they have a larger connector.

This is used to connect  a small box with a camera in it (by the side of my studio front door) to a unit that will sit near me in the control room. This unit has a tv screen so I can see who is at my front door. It also will allow me to talk to them.

If I put an electric lock on my front door, it would also allow me to unlock the door from the control room. I'm guessing that's what the two extra conductors are for.

Is there enough info provided that someone can help me?

Thanks,

Earl

The electric door mechanism is a solenoid that can pull quite a bit of current...I would run independent wires to it, to a push button and the power source.

The wires on the telephone cables are meant for signals and the gauge is not that good for activating a solenoid typical of an electric door lock.

So I suggest you check that aspect too.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    pdlstl
    Re:Anyone here know anything about telephone cables? 2010/08/05 14:28:16 (permalink)
    @UBubba - They're great until they get old enough to catch on...

Thanks for that bit NoKey. For now I'm just wanting to get the intercom up and going. Lock is in the near future.

Thanks,

Earl
    post edited by pdlstl - 2010/08/05 14:30:14
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1