Independence Pro - Multi Outs in Sonar.

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2010/08/06 15:58:26 (permalink)

Independence Pro - Multi Outs in Sonar.

Has any one changed the default configuration for the outputs in Independence Pro.

Page 288 of the manual indicates that "At the moment the maximum amount of available outputs is set to 64 MONO and 64 STEREO outputs per instance."

By default I was given 8 stereo and 8 mono outputs. There are 12 audio outs assigned by Sonar. The Independence mono outs each get a left or right channel of the last four.

In the light of what it says in the manual I thought I should be able to change this, to say 16 stereo outputs. This is where things started to fall apart. It did not work and now I have a single stereo out. What is very weird is when I try to enter a number in the dialogue box to specify the number of output it gets changed, from say 8 to -2147483...

Has anyone been down this road before. At the moment I would settle for getting the defaults back.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

6 Replies Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Re:Independence Pro - Multi Outs in Sonar. 2010/08/08 04:37:40 (permalink)
    Bump, just incase someone who has seen this logs in.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Independence Pro - Multi Outs in Sonar. 2010/08/08 08:33:20 (permalink)
    Glyn Independence Pro certainly looks like a serious sound generating device. I did not even know about it prior to your post. I have visited the website and it looks cool. I am interested in Kontakt 4 as well. Mainly as it reads many libraries from other samplers like Kurzweil, EMU, Akai, Roland and Yamaha. But I suppose if the Independence library is really good you could probably survive without them.

I would be very intereseted to see how you go solving the problem of multiple outputs as that would also be something I would like to be able to do in terms of production. I will download and read the manual and see if there is something that can be worked out. Sonar may behave differently in terms of this. Maybe you could ask CW and see what they say about it as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Glyn Barnes
    Re:Independence Pro - Multi Outs in Sonar. 2010/08/12 16:16:00 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Independence Pro certainly looks like a serious sound generating device. I did not even know about it prior to your post. I have visited the website and it looks cool. I am interested in Kontakt 4 as well. Mainly as it reads many libraries from other samplers like Kurzweil, EMU, Akai, Roland and Yamaha. But I suppose if the Independence library is really good you could probably survive without them.

I would be very intereseted to see how you go solving the problem of multiple outputs as that would also be something I would like to be able to do in terms of production.
    I think I am going to have to uninstall and reinstall Independence, but I will wait, as I will shortly add a new hard drive for samples. I will probably not tempt fate and leave the multi outs at the default, which is 8 stereo and 8 mono (beats Kontak's 8 stereo outs)

The library is very good but it does not cover all the bases. Electric pianos for example are as weak as the saxaphones are strong. I also have Kontakt and I would say the libraries compliment each other.

Mapping your own samples is quick and intuitive, I had only every done this using Vennia to create soundfonts, years ago, but I was making velocity layered instruments in no time. Another good thing is you can use the effects with other VSTi's,. Oragami for example is a useful Inpulse reverb.

Where Kontakt scores is the amount of third party stuff availabe and ability to read other formats. I have not had much sucess converting soundfonts using the Chicken Systems Independence edition. Kontakt is also ahead on scripting.

strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Independence Pro - Multi Outs in Sonar. 2010/08/12 16:47:02 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

I did not even know about it prior to your post.

You'll have to stop blocking me. I posted about the fire sale here.
    Bear that in mind as it may go cheap again.

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Independence Pro - Multi Outs in Sonar. 2010/08/13 00:34:56 (permalink)
    Glynn -  I have Inde Pro as well. I haven't tried upping the default outs to more outputs but I did have  a problem reducing them. I think my problem arises from Sonar not keeping track of the outputs if the defaults aren't the same as when a project starts. When ever I change the defaults I get serious routing problems in sonar -  so much so that I often have to completely remove most VSTI's from the Synth rack and basically start over. Very frustrating. I'm using Sonar 5 and maybe the issue is resolved by now but what happens is :  for instance my outputs for Battery 3 will now show its' output signal on some of the routed outputs for Electrik Piano...or Halion players outputs will show up on FM-7... etc etc. It's as though it being driven via a simple hierarchical list instead of outputs routing to prospective synth outputs. So of course all of the mix parameters and effects bins are all screwed up. This happens to most of my multi output synths. I wouldn't have a problem if it just screwed up the changed synth...but it's pervasive and can effect all my VSTi track routings.
        On another note....one thing I really like about INDE Pro is how comprehensive it's mixer section is. I think it blows the doors off of Kontakt and most any other synth I've seen. I use it as a wholesale submixer just for INDE and use it's default 8 stereo and 8 mono outs with room to spare. I often just pull it back to 3 stereo and 3 mono. I'm finding INDE's effects very good sounding myself. Hope they up size the library with some quality Vibes and marimba, Harmonica and some more guitars. The Basses, drums and percussion  and saxes are outstanding. I'm even liking the way they tweaked their Piano, who would of thought of putting a high pass filter @ 300 hz would make that sample so good for a Jazz piano.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Glyn Barnes
    Re:Independence Pro - Multi Outs in Sonar. Partly solved 2010/08/14 07:19:46 (permalink)
    Rbh

On another note....one thing I really like about INDE Pro is how comprehensive it's mixer section is. I think it blows the doors off of Kontakt and most any other synth I've seen.
    Agreed on that, it's certainly a lot more intuative than the Kontakt mixer (I don't really want to say how long it took me to work out how to assign Kontakt mixer channels to outputs in Sonar ). One thing I have yet to try is using VSTs in the Independence mixer, which should be posible. This would be of most use using Independence as a stand alone.

I have solved the problem of resetting Independence to the default 8 stereo, 8 mono outputs by a clean re-install (at the same time putting the root (samples) folder on a new drive). I will leave output configuration it as it is

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1