****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal)

Author
complex
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
2010/08/07 10:45:48 (permalink)

Hey fellow musicians!

It's been a long time since I visited this forum, but I finally found some time to work on my music again. I've finished (I think) a new song that I would really like your input on. Like most of my songs, this is yet another thrash-metal tune.

I've not really been active searching for a vocalist to collaborate with, but I think I really ought to.
So if anyone want to step up and think they can add a kickass vocal track to this song, please contact me.

There might be some changes in the arrangement to make room for a proper guitar solo. If anyone would like to add a solo, please feel free to ask me. That would be awesome!
As always, it's much appreciated if you got some suggestions to make the song better. Constructive criticism is extremely important if you want to develop as a musician, and I value that just as much as the good words! :)

Thank you!

The song is called "Edge Of Darkness" and can be found here:

www.soundclick.com/ognedal

Metal/Pop/Rock Check it out!

11 Replies Related Threads

zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/09 01:00:40 (permalink)
    OGNEDAL.....sounds very cool.......

What is your guitar setup/source?

And.....what tuning are you using?
    complex
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/09 18:46:19 (permalink)
    Hey!

Thank you man!

Ognedal is not actually a bandname. It's my last name :p

I use a Ibanez Reb Beach Voyage (like the one in my avatar) hooked directly to the mixer.
    I use Sonar as my sequencer. There are actually 4 guitar tracks (2 duplicated with different panning and delay). Get it?
    For this song i've used Waves GTR3 amp sim for all the guitar tracks.

And it's a standard E-tuning.

alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/09 21:58:34 (permalink)
    Sounds Great Kim!!!!!!!

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    JudZilla
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/10 08:34:13 (permalink)
    Hi,

That sounds very impressive, the guitar sound is killer!  I have the Waves GTR3, which setting did you use or did you make your own?  I can't get anything near as good a guitar sound as that! 

Drums sound amazing as well (EZ or something else?), although some of the cymbals sound a little tinny/weak.  But that's probably personal preference and my only real crit. 

Are you in a band?  If not, I reckon you should join one or get some collaboration from people on here to add vocals/leads guitar etc to "finish" the songs off :)

Very impressive mate.

Jud
    complex
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/11 03:29:11 (permalink)
    Thanks Alan! :)

JudZilla:

Thank you! I make my own settings. Can't remember if I used a preset as starting point. But remember, there has been a lot of tweaking. First of all, there are 4 guitar tracks: one panned
    100% left with very short delay, one panned 80% left, one panned 100% right with short delay and
    one panned 80% right.

There are also effects, eq, compressors on guitarbusses and masterbus. Not to mention the mastering afterwards.

I suppose what makes the biggest difference is what guitar you use. You can't expect the same settings to sound just the same on to different guitars, with different pickups etc.

I use Addictive Drums for drums. I find that program very easy to work with, and the sounds are great.

I'm not in a band. I have not really got the time for that at the moment. But i'm sure it would be awesome, but it's very timeconsuming! What i do got time for, is collaboration! Then i can work
    whenever i want. But I find it hard to get in touch with collaborators. There is not really much response.

Thanks again

Kim

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/11 06:42:39 (permalink)
    Sounds very cool. Also sounds like too much compression going on creating a pumpin effect. That has happened to me in one of my songs too back when I first got into recording.

String Jammer
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/13 14:18:49 (permalink)
    The intensity of it--the sheer force--almost knocks me over. Some one made Mama mad! 

I liked that climb at 3:35, too.   

I'm not a judge of this genre, but I enjoyed listening.  This'll get you going in the mornings!

post edited by peggysuechan - 2010/08/13 14:21:10

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    complex
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/14 17:22:05 (permalink)
    Scottytunes: Thank you. And i'll take that tips with me. I've listened to to the track on 4-5 different soundsetups and i kind of noticed what you're talking about on 1 of them, sounds fine one the other 4. Thought it was just a stereo, but could be a problem with the song aswell. I guess it's not an excellent mix/master if it doesn't play right on every single stereo.

peggusuechan: Hehe, thanks! Glad you liked it! :)

cho_drummer
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/16 11:33:02 (permalink)
    the cymbals are too present for me, they come and go really fast and that's what lets the drum sound down. They sound like all the life's been compressed out of them, some of the frequencies they were putting out made them very distracting too, so maybe cleaning them out might clean up the top end a little bit.

I wanted to hear a really nice vocal over this.

At first i thought the guitar tone was a touch too distorted and lacked a certain quality in the top end which made them hiss a little, but that may just be my own taste.

Really good overall though, just missing a nice vocal.

Cheers,
    Chris
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/16 11:39:26 (permalink)
    I listened in my studio and was very impressed with the mix/production/performances...
    No crits at all... very well done...
    complex
    Re:****** OGNEDAL - EDGE OF DARKNESS ****** (Thrash Metal) 2010/08/17 10:35:05 (permalink)
    cho_drummer: Thank you for listening and commenting! About the drums: I appreciate your input, and i will consider what you say when i decide to tweak the drums. There is not a whole lot of compression going on, but i can adjust the frequencies. So what do you mean by cleaning them up? Did you think they were to "spiky" and "ear piercing"? I'm not a drummer myself, so it's nice getting input from someone who is.

I'm still searching for vocalists. There have been some response, mostly bad efforts, and i think to song deserves a little bit more that vocals recorded on the mic on a laptop :p.

There is no hiss on the guitars, but i think i know what you mean. Guitar sounds are a matter of personal taste i guess.

Notnat: Thanks a lot. I know you're quite experienced, so i'm really glad you liked it! :)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1