History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/09 20:50:37 (permalink)
Well whatever.  It's confusing.  But I'm getting there...as long as I have pictures to look at and a piano nearby.  lol
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/09 23:42:42 (permalink)
Maybe this picture I found will help:

Janet
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/09 23:45:00 (permalink)
Perfect! 
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/10 18:53:48 (permalink)
Janet

Phrasing?  Voice?  Harmonics?

I'm just trying to find middle C!  :-)

You'll find in more than one place on a guitar and then timbre and string length at the note pressed will influence the harmonics induced.

Craig DuBuc
Janet
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/10 19:23:57 (permalink)
Yeah, but one thing at a time... :-)
Crg
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/12 20:40:03 (permalink)
One thing at time is not an option with the guitar. When you get to playing it. I don't want to go overboard and plunge into the whole spacial palette but, the guitar rests against your body and your body is a resonator also.

Craig DuBuc
guitardog247
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/12 22:04:02 (permalink)
I've always thought the guitar was harder than piano, just sight reading anyway. Because of position playing. There is more than one place to play that high E or a lot of other notes. The exact same note, same octave, can be played in different places.
Where on piano, there is only one place to play that note. And that rocks for reading.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
Soundtrapper
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/12 22:36:29 (permalink)
I agree David.

Mike standard tuning evolved. I don't know that I've ever
read or even heard that somebody tuned it that way on some date.

Exceptance by the masses as the "best" standard tuning is
due to it being the best tuning for being able to play extended
chords and just more chords in general.
You may consider the 6-string lap steel as a comparison. Very
easy to play a few chords and a few patterns but then one is faced
with impossibilities. ( 6-string alternate tuning being the key...more strings,
more possibilities)

Although a purist jazz player may perfer an all fourth's tuning
which would change the second and first string to C and F.

If you play a chromatic scale on the guitar in standard tuning
and special attention to the interval change moving from the
3rd to 2nd string ( the position shift) it may help you
understand and agree that it is a very reasonable tuning.

Tuff question and a tuff "transpose" instrument to learn I think.

Well I tried my friend

Sonar 8.5.3
Win 7 64 bit

Soundtrapper at Mixposure 

drewfx1
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 00:40:51 (permalink)
Of course Robert Fripp would disagree.

Discussing his "New Standard Tuning (NST)" (low to high CGDAEG) compared to "old Standard Tuning", he said, "The point of this new standard tuning is that it's an infinitely better standard tuning than the old one, in terms of chords and single notes. It's a more rational system, and it sounds better."
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 08:00:25 (permalink)
Thanks for continuing everyone,

My interest in this subject was refreshed recently as I was discussing open tunings with a parent of a young guitar player. The kid plays a virtuoso solo style in various open tunings yet is inexperienced with standard tuning and playing in ensembles.

His father didn't understand the notion of standard tuning and I was struggling to explain why it is clearly a standard.

I think I have read in the past that standard tuning evolved over time and was exemplified by the guitar revolution led by Segovia whereby the guitar became a "serious" instrument.

I have also read that Mel Bay leveraged the public consciousness of Segovia's accomplishments and popularized "standard" tuning through his network of teachers, salons, and books.

I asked here without mentioning those trivia tidbits in the hopes that someone else might have some specifics that complimented those impressions.

It seems like a fascinating subject.

I agree that the form itself speaks for itself. It is really easy to see how thoughtful the layout is when you advance as a player.

I think I'll continue to struggle at finding a way to explain why "standard" tuning is standard.

best regards,
mike

Janet
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 09:26:26 (permalink)
guitardog247

I've always thought the guitar was harder than piano, just sight reading anyway. Because of position playing. There is more than one place to play that high E or a lot of other notes. The exact same note, same octave, can be played in different places.
Where on piano, there is only one place to play that note. And that rocks for reading.

See, that's what I'm talkin' about!  A C is the key to the left of the two black keys.  All the time!  Simple!!!  :-)
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 09:50:32 (permalink)
Standard tuning is "standard" because most people use it.
Why "standard" tuning should be EADGBE is a different question and is down to evolution. Millions of guitar players over the centuries have agreed that EADGBE is the best tuning to use for ease of playing both chords and single note sequences.

Janet, have you ever asked yourself why they call that particular key "middle C"?  I know it's roughly in the middle, but why call it C?  The notes of a piano are layed out to match the intervals of a western major scale, but why start that sequence from 'C'? Surely calling the start 'A' would have been more logical? and likewise for music notation, why have the central note between the staves called 'C'? Wouldn't 'A' be more logical for the same reasons as above?

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

The Maillard Reaction
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 10:10:55 (permalink)
Karyn, I think there is an answer of sorts. The only significance middle C has is that it references a root note where all the white keys work if you play in a Ionian mode.

Middle C is an abstract used by keyboard players.

As a guitarist I have no conception of "middle C". I doubt reed or wind players think about it much either.

What I am wondering is; WHY do (if it's true that...) most people use standard tuning?

all the best,
mike

drewfx1
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 10:57:54 (permalink)
mike_mccue

What I am wondering is; WHY do (if it's true that...) most people use standard tuning?
The biggest 2 reasons I can think of are:

1. Because that's what they were "taught" (either formally or informally).
2. Because if you want to recreate existing guitar music, using (roughly) the same tuning is often almost a necessity. Alternate tunings lend themselves to alternate chord voicings and melodic patterns - if you tune in different intervals it will likely both influence what you choose to play and make some chords/patterns easier than others.

Of course neither of these reasons imply that standard tuning is any any way superior to other tunings. In reality, each tuning will have it's own strengths and weaknesses. And other plucked string instruments (such as banjo or mandolin) use completely different tunings.
Soundtrapper
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 11:05:00 (permalink)
"What I am wondering is; WHY do (if it's true that...) most people use standard tuning?" -Mike McCue

Why would people use a tuning on a guitar that offers more possibilities due to not only the physical properties of the instrument but also their hands?
Those are the two major reasons the tuning is a result of the evolution.
You seem to be ignoring that and searching for something different...which sure has me
curious.

Why would people use a tuning that has much more material available for learning?

I would imagine a guy with one finger is happy about slide. And if all people had one
finger I'm sure the "standard" would be different.

Questioning if standard tuning is used by most guitarist is the most interesting
part of your question(s).
The reason it is so interesting to me is that the popularity of Metal and many of the
younger players for some time ( I haven't tracked it but would easily guess the last two decades) have re-tuned and de-tuned. 
Their reasoning is for tonal variations as well as ease in playing the part. Especially
for the "power" chord vamping. Much easier to bar a 1-5 and slide it all over...lol

Even so...I believe standard is still the most popular because of the two major
reasons I mentioned and even if it is used a half-step lower in pitch for tonal preference.

Regards,
Michael

post edited by Soundtrapper - 2010/08/13 11:10:16

Sonar 8.5.3
Win 7 64 bit

The Maillard Reaction
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 11:30:37 (permalink)
I have lately noticed a trend in trying to not play in standard tuning. I now see this trend is encouraged by guitar teachers turning kids a few bag of trick riffs using open tunings where they can recreate parts of a popular tune easily.

I pretty much play in standard tuning, know my scales and the fret board etc.

I love playing simple music with other people.

I've noticed a lot of the open tuning wonder kids don't seem to be prepared to play with other people.

I've been curious to under stand why the guitar teachers are teaching young kids to memorize licks in open tunings... and not teaching the fret board and using standard tuning as a reference.

It made me wonder how standard standard tuning is or if it is a legacy of certain period of time.

Mel Bay, for example was a institution but also a moment in time. The publishing company  and teaching network revolutionized the idea of standardized instruction and I wonder if history will show that to be a periodic rather than constant influence.

So I've been wondering what the precedents for standard tuning are.

I saw on Wiki that lute is traditionally tuned similarly to standard guitar tuning. Perhaps it is that simple. :-)

best regards,
mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/08/13 15:46:02

57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 12:44:29 (permalink)
I didn't even know there were alternate tunings until I got a Led Zeppelin song book in 1972, songs from their first 4 albums.
Got to "That's The Way" and there were these notes showing the tuning for the guitar.
Heretics! I thought, but what did I know? I was 15.
I still play that song.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
jcatena
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 13:11:49 (permalink)
Regarding why C and not A is the "first" note, in traditional notation the names of the notes are DO, RE, MI, FA, SOL, LA, SI. DO (C) is the first one. British style changed that notation to single letters, and I don't know why they assigned A to LA instead of DO. Most probably it was simply because they were british XD.
Regarding guitar tuning, i never tried a non standard one yet, it is difficult enough to learn well the fretboard pattern, and i would be lost handling more than one. But maybe i'll try Fripp's NST tuning sometime, for me he's a great master and if he says it's better overall there must be some truth in it.

Jose Catena
DIGIWAVES, S.L.
Janet
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 16:27:22 (permalink)
Karyn

Janet, have you ever asked yourself why they call that particular key "middle C"?  I know it's roughly in the middle, but why call it C?  The notes of a piano are layed out to match the intervals of a western major scale, but why start that sequence from 'C'? Surely calling the start 'A' would have been more logical? and likewise for music notation, why have the central note between the staves called 'C'? Wouldn't 'A' be more logical for the same reasons as above?

Actually, no, I've never thought of it.  lol  But for this discussion I could have just as easily said 'F is to the left of the 3 black keys, B is to the right of them, etc.'  My only point being every A looks the same, etc.  :-) 

I guess I'm too busy or lazy or otherwise engaged to think such deep thoughts.  :-)
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 22:04:11 (permalink)
57Gregy

I didn't even know there were alternate tunings until I got a Led Zeppelin song book in 1972, songs from their first 4 albums.
Got to "That's The Way" and there were these notes showing the tuning for the guitar.
Heretics! I thought, but what did I know? I was 15.
I still play that song.

But it sounds like cr@p in std tuning, no?

Crg
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/13 22:08:54 (permalink)
Think of the Guitar in this way. Chord-scale relative to chord-timbre of the position of the chord and scale, possible harmonics of the resonating strings in relation to sympathetic excitation of one string to another, resultant voice-(combination of tones of all strings active) based on timbre due to position on neck and active strings, how to mute each string in time in relation to the desired voicing, what rate of strike in time with the voicing is required on each string to either create or negate the voicing of each string.
When there are six vibrating strings that will combine tones when the strike-wave travels down the mathmatical length of the neck along each string, the chord-the voice-the riff-the melody will change shape and texture and dictate the feeling.
The same is true of keyboard. The path-scale-movement on the two particular instruments is different. A Piano doesn't have alternate tunings. Alternate tunings on a Guitar are a learned thing. Standard tuning is mearly a basis for movement-scale structure through a physical absolute which is the guitar.
Why doesn't the Guitar start at C for the lowest note in the scale? Or A ? I don't think it makes difference because you have to learn each instrument per it's structure.

Craig DuBuc
drewfx1
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/14 02:34:53 (permalink)
Janet

Actually, no, I've never thought of it.  lol  But for this discussion I could have just as easily said 'F is to the left of the 3 black keys, B is to the right of them, etc.'  My only point being every A looks the same, etc.  :-) 

On the one hand you're right Janet. But, OTOH, on guitar/bass if you want to transpose something, you just slide the fingering up or down the neck, and everything is exactly the same (if you aren't using open strings, of course).

From a musical perspective, when improvising, I suppose on keyboard I'd be inclined to think more in terms of "key signature", whereas on guitar/bass I'd be more inclined to think of "scale/mode". 

But the short answer is, you just learn where the notes are and "C=A string, 3rd fret/G string, 5th fret/B string 1st fret/..." quickly becomes 2nd nature. And chords are either open and committed to memory, or movable shapes with the root on one string or a another.
Janet
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/14 07:27:17 (permalink)
Drew, you've got a good point there.  I'm just beginning to discover some cool things on the bass. IF I keep it up (which is a big if with me, I've learned!) I'll get it and remember where the notes are and see how brilliantly it's put together.  It's just different, and this ol' dog doesn't learn new tricks very quickly. 
Soundtrapper
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/14 08:04:17 (permalink)
mike_mccue
I have lately noticed a trend in trying to not play in standard tuning. I now see this trend is encouraged by guitar teachers turning kids a few bag of trick riffs using open tunings where they can recreate parts of a popular tune easily.

I've noticed a lot of the open tuning wonder kids don't seem to be prepared to play with other people.

I've been curious to under stand why the guitar teachers are teaching young kids to memorize licks in open tunings... and not teaching the fret board and using standard tuning as a reference.

best regards,
mike
Mike I'm sure not in touch with young students or the teachers.
I sure don't agree with the teachers teaching that way.

I couldn't even guess why they would teach by "memorizing licks"
in any tuning. That makes me think they're just teaching for
the coins. Jukebox teachers...put a coin in and they'll teach
you to play a tune.

Sonar 8.5.3
Win 7 64 bit

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/14 08:16:09 (permalink)
A=440Hz is the "standard" tuning reference for most musical instruments.  Electronic tuners all reference A=440Hz as the "standard" (many can be set to others such as 441, 442, etc). 

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/14 09:46:34 (permalink)
Thanks Michael,
 I guess I've been feeling a little bit weird while speaking with my friends and family about their kids' music teachers. It's cool that their kids get lessons... but I feel an urge to think critically about what they are learning.

It seems to be related to fast gratification. It may just be a symptom of suburban folks sending kids to lessons as a routine... sort of like soccer practice. The parents seem to enjoy watching their kids learn a recognizable tune so quickly.

It's an eye opener to listen to a young person who plays 1-3 songs really well... and then realize that they do not know how to play the simplest camp fire songs with another person.

I grew up playing one or two notes on the sidelines of an ensemble... and learning how to listen and play along.

Fireberd, Yes, We have some antique musicians up here that use older A references.

best regards,
mike

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/14 10:37:33 (permalink)
antique musicians

Soundtrapper
Re:History of "Standard Tuning" for guitar? 2010/08/14 13:17:43 (permalink)
I hear you Mike. It's a catch 22. A very good thing for kids to
have interest in the arts. Sometimes the teaching method is
questionable.
"Programmed" teaching, as in many schools (see that dot play this)
is something I've never agreed to. I understand how the
teachers may have a course they have to follow but that
doesn't make it right. (hurry up so this is ready for the game)
Maybe there are public schools that offer music as a course
not geared around performing for the sport of it. I don't know.
It does sound like kids you're referring to are being programmed.

The good thing is the students that truly want to learn the
instrument will probably seek information from many sources.
It helps when the parents our guardians understand the
variables for a well rounded choice of direction.

Practice time is limited for most, I'm guessing, so it pays to
make the most of it. I can't see programmed teaching or
jumping around from this tuning to that being very efficient.

For students of an instrument to have peers to jam with is
a major plus. Having the chance to apply what they've
been learning is great but they get to learn about the
"magic" that happens when musician's interact. Invaluable.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the section for antique musicians
so I realize my opinions may be dated too.
So if the new way isn't cutting it...."we don't need no thought control" -PF

Sonar 8.5.3
Win 7 64 bit

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1