New Symphony Old Library

Author
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
2010/08/08 17:41:06 (permalink)

New Symphony Old Library

I finished my 7th symphony a few months ago using VSL Pro Edition.  It's the last piece I am composing for that library as I just got the VI Symphonic Cube Extended edition and running it on a fast machine with 24 GB of RAM for new compositions/recordings.  I am really impressed with both the quality of the samples and the user interface.  The only thing that will take some getting used to is changing patches in Sonar, but I think I'll have it up to speed in a month or so.
These two movements from my 7th symphony utilize orchestral samples and software synthesis.  I finished the entire work in May.  Hope you enjoy listening!

http://www.jerrygerber.co...%204th%20movements.htm

Jerry Gerber
www.jerrygerber.com

post edited by jsg - 2010/08/08 20:58:42

11 Replies Related Threads

Attomik Punk
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/08 20:01:32 (permalink)
    Hi Jerry-  Wow.  Very impressive depth and rich sounds.  Sounds like a ton of work.  Great job!  Inspiring.
    ~Dan
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/09 19:23:06 (permalink)
    Oh wow!  This is incredible.  AND you posted the pdf files.  How cool is that?!  If you don't mind, I'm going to print out at least part of it and follow along.  That's been a dream of mine for quite a few months now.  Thank you! 
    jsg
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/09 21:33:36 (permalink)
    Janet

Oh wow!  This is incredible.  AND you posted the pdf files.  How cool is that?!  If you don't mind, I'm going to print out at least part of it and follow along.  That's been a dream of mine for quite a few months now.  Thank you! 

Hi Janet,

I don't mind if you print out the score, but please use it only for your only enjoyment and study purposes.

Best,

Jerry Gerber
    www.jerrygerber.com

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/09 21:35:29 (permalink)
    Oh, most definitely.  I guess I should have made that clear.  I just think it would be so helpful to see the score while listening to the music.  Thank you!
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/09 22:25:27 (permalink)
    very impressive, Jerry!  really nice work on this.  how did you accomplish it?  did you play the notes on a MIDI keyboard or did you enter everything in PRV or Staff view or something else?  this is quite an accomplishment.

if I may, some of the sounds don't sound quite realistic to my ears, especially some of the horns.  and personally, I'm not that fond of the electronic sounds in the orchestra, but that's of course a personal preference.

nice work, tho!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jsg
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/10 02:11:20 (permalink)
    I sequence in the staff view, the event list as well as the tempo and controllers views.  I've never used the PRV view and probably never will. 

My new library has far better recorded samples, 24-bit (old library, the one I recorded the movements you heard are 16-bit samples.   My old library had about 260,000 samples, this one has 760,000.   Realism should improve immensely. 

One of the reasons I use software synthesis and pure electronic and digital timbres (besides the challenge of integrating them with acoustic samples), is so people understand they are NOT listening to a real orchestra--the synthesizers "betray" this rather than give the listener the comfortable illusion that I am making music with traditional instruments. 

Best,

Jerry
    www.jerrygerber.com

Beagle

very impressive, Jerry!  really nice work on this.  how did you accomplish it?  did you play the notes on a MIDI keyboard or did you enter everything in PRV or Staff view or something else?  this is quite an accomplishment.

if I may, some of the sounds don't sound quite realistic to my ears, especially some of the horns.  and personally, I'm not that fond of the electronic sounds in the orchestra, but that's of course a personal preference.

nice work, tho!

Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/10 11:42:37 (permalink)
    jsg

One of the reasons I use software synthesis and pure electronic and digital timbres (besides the challenge of integrating them with acoustic samples), is so people understand they are NOT listening to a real orchestra--the synthesizers "betray" this rather than give the listener the comfortable illusion that I am making music with traditional instruments. 

Best,

Jerry
    www.jerrygerber.com

Jerry, this is superb!! Excellently done (this could be used in a Sci-fi soundtrack).
    I also appreciate your honesty.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/11 09:10:46 (permalink)
    Wow what a treat for the senses. I can't tell that the strings aren't live. 

In my limited listening, I've never heard music mix the electronic and the traditional. How imaginative. I'm sure they're doing it, I've just never heard it.

I can't tell you where in the music your string sections expand into a huge themes and the strings get lush, because your player has no timer to it.  But they sure sound gorgeous when they do.

More than a symphony, this sounded like a soundtrack to me. Probably that's because I don't listen to any symphonies beyond the Romantic era. I remember attending a modern symphony performed here in Jones Hall in Houston, and I remember standing and clapping exuberantly at the end that it was finally over and I get to go home. My husband turned to me and said, "Sugar, I'd rather hear your songs than that." The joke is he doesn't listen to my songs. They bore him.

But this is much better than a modern symphony. I heard things happening--scenes unfolding. Pathos and drama. Tension and apprehension. Strength and overcoming. Regret and reflection (I'm thinking here of the ending of your 4th movement). Joy and celebration. Funny animated characters. This work holds it all.

One thing that stood out was your theme development. I loved the way several instruments picked up your themes in all registers, and in variations.  One thing I missed was a chance to fall in love with these themes. Each were so short-lived. I run my themes into the ground, I hash them out so much. My husband finds this boring. But other less musically minded folks enjoy it. I do too. Just a personal preference here.

And why don't you offer your second movement here? I had to go to your website to find it. Now that second movement is energetic--and sometimes whacky with the chorus voices. But I enjoy the tonality of your music, and of this movement especially.

Another thing, your player's progress button doesn't work.   

post edited by peggysuechan - 2010/08/11 09:31:14

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/11 13:40:53 (permalink)
    What's a score?  It used to mean something totally different in my youth!   You really know how to use that stuff.  Are you writing the music on staff?  I would imagine so.  I know with midi you can play it then print it out as a score, I think!  Either way, a nice piece of work.  I think I'll print it out and play it on my bass.  NOT!! 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    princepearce
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/12 10:40:45 (permalink)
    I have heard both, but unfortunately have not used either. The main reason I am hesitant on getting either is that they both seem a little out of date. I just feel that with everything thats come out in the last year there should be something a lot better on its way.
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:New Symphony Old Library 2010/08/13 23:43:00 (permalink)
    Jerry

I love the opening to the 4th movement. Very nice.

I have considered VSL many times but the price has always stopped me from thinking real hard about them. I stay mostly with EW and NI instruments.

While I do use a lot of synths in my works, they are usually not as upfront as you have here. I keep them more in the background or as teasers.

Nice work

Ron
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1