"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written)

Author
SnyderTrigger
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
2010/08/08 22:43:13 (permalink)

"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written)

Well, so two days or so of learning how to use Sonar - I recorded this. This is one of the first songs (in fact, I think it was my second) I've ever written, and this is my first time recording/mixing/EQ-ing and whatnot, so be nice. ;) I had to record the guitars (I only used an acoustic and a bass), then go back and sing over the track I made (which was a pain in the butt) Criticism is appreciated! What else mixing/EQ-wise should I do? Or, in other words, whats the next step in the process?

I exported it in RAFF, then imported that into Audacity, which is where I converted it to mp3 - so the quality may have been lost a little bit. 

Also, I know that the bass might be a bit too loud, but I made the mistake of EQing my voice wayyyy too much. Too many high pass filters, and just too much fooling around with the vocals in general...so it made the voice sound a little brittle - I tried to compensate for it by turning up the bass a little bit, hopefully picking up some of the low end that the vocals lost. 

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry about that - here's the link to SoundClick:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9502658

post edited by SnyderTrigger - 2010/08/09 00:56:17

16 Replies Related Threads

savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/09 00:19:10 (permalink)
    Mr. Snyder,  Most songwriters on this forum use soundclick, it's free and is set up perfectly to help make things easy.  Your fellow cakewalkers will find it more convenient to listen than to download each time. Looking forward to hearing your work and welcome to the forum.........Ron

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/09 00:53:37 (permalink)
    Thanks, opera! I just signed up - I'll fix my link.
    planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/09 01:40:05 (permalink)
    First of all, cool tune! I think this would have a lot of potential and impact with a full band, especially in the choruses. It has a nice hook and lyrics, and it flows smoothly from beginning to end. I didn't feel that any part was "forced" or didn't belong.

For someone who just asked for help on the basics of recording just a few days ago, this is great!

I'm not sure what you want to do with this ultimately, but if you're going to keep it as acoustic guitar/bass/voice, you should add a bit of compression to your voice to keep it above the guitar. In some places, it was a bit difficult to hear an otherwise excellent vocal. A little chorus on the bass would help fill it out a bit. And a touch of reverb on the overall mix would help "glue" all the parts together by making them all sound like they were recorded in the same room.

As far as instrument balance and levels, a bit of compression on the overall mix would also help tighten everything a bit. At the end, you might want to drop the other two guitars a bit, as they tend to overwhelm the rhythm guitar and bass. They also have a reverb that isn't on the other parts, and that tends to take them "out" of the mix rather than add them to it. It makes them sound like they were not recorded at the same time or in the same "space" as the other instruments. You've done a decent job EQ'ing them so they don't step onto each other. (As far as your concerns about EQ, just remember: less is better. Instead of boosting something, cut everything else. You're better off in the long run.) Warming up the rhythm guitar part a bit might help it sound fuller, but everyone has his or her opinion on how acoustic guitars should sound. Again, it all depends upon what you're going to do with this.

If you were going to work this up as a full band piece, I think there's a lot you could do with the vocals, harmonies and parts (not with the singing, though--that was just fine!). I think the song could have a lot of impact--especially on the chorus after the middle-eight.

There are many good, free reverbs, EQ and compressors available, so you'll have plenty to choose from if you want to add to this.

I did hear a bit of noise in a few places that sounded a bit like a grainy tape hiss. It's more prevalent in the right speaker, and in the quieter parts. I don't think it's an .MP3 artifact--since everything else sounded fine--but I don't know what it is.

Overall, I say this is a very promising beginning considering what you had at your disposal!

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/09 09:36:58 (permalink)
    Good song. If you are real new to recording, and come from a songwriter background, I suggest you take a few months to immerse yourself in the art of recording and mixing. Test, test, test.

It was hard for me to get my songs expressed the way I wanted when I first started. I had to spend about a year studying comp/eq just on the bass range to get my songs a solid foundation.

I too hear the remnant in the right channel. Could be anything in the recording environment.

Great start. There are a ton of pointers and guides in the technique forum from users "chaz" "beagle" and "yep". I hope they are still there. Some of the best are about five years old now.

Peace.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
    Advice from forum members
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/09 12:44:04 (permalink)
    Thanks guys! This is all really helpful info! And as for that noise - it's a by-product of a mediocre mic and too much high pass filterage (so whatever noise was there, the high pass made them come out even more).

Thanks!!
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/10 15:25:44 (permalink)
    Good news - this song is #14 on the "Acoustic Rock" chart on soundclick.com ;)
    planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/10 16:35:40 (permalink)
    Cool! I didn't even know they had lists.

So...your first Top 20 hit, eh? Not bad!

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/10 18:54:27 (permalink)
    Nice job for a nubie. Very nice indeed. I can hear it building with more instruments and blossoming into a huge production.

String Jammer
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/10 21:33:12 (permalink)
    Thanks Scotty!
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/10 22:58:02 (permalink)
    I listen to this type of music a lot and this is great.  Especially for one of your first songs and your first recording.  The tune and the hook are great--very smooth transitions and a great flow.

I think you've got a good voice, but your mic and/or setup might not be doing it justice. (or as you said, the eq'ing...I'm not a singer, so I have no idea.)   I agree with the others that I can hear it as a big production, but this is nice too.  As someone said, jump in and learn all you can.  I don't think he meant to not record in the meantime though.  I doubt if I'm the only one that just started recording, not knowing what in the heck I was doing...and I continue to learn something new with every song I finish.  So keep doing what you're doing.  There's a wealth of information around here.  It doesn't hurt to listen to and comment on others' songs here so we get to know you, and you get to know how others record, etc.  One nice by-product of that is that most likely, more people will listen to your songs. 

Welcome here...and great job! 
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/10 23:17:37 (permalink)
    Nice work... Welcome to the Songs Fourm...

SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/11 00:05:28 (permalink)
    Thanks guys! And thanks, Janet, you're right - I'm learning all I can with everything. Haha. I'm in the process of recording another rough cut of another song, so I'll post that when it's finished.
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/11 14:56:54 (permalink)
    Welcome, Nick!  I think this is a very good tune.  I like the sound of it.  You know, I played with the software and still do, but was fortunate to hook up with Mark (CLEAN) as a songwriting partner.  he is VERY good at the producing thing.  It has helped my (our) music sound better but I would suggest that a young guy like you immerse yourself into the programs and learn it all.  You can get totally awesome expert advice here.  Take advantage of it!!  I'm just old enough to say, "Hey, let Mark do it".   You are on your way, don't be a stranger!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/11 19:32:32 (permalink)
    evadianepug

Welcome, Nick!  I think this is a very good tune.  I like the sound of it.  You know, I played with the software and still do, but was fortunate to hook up with Mark (CLEAN) as a songwriting partner.  he is VERY good at the producing thing.  It has helped my (our) music sound better but I would suggest that a young guy like you immerse yourself into the programs and learn it all.  You can get totally awesome expert advice here.  Take advantage of it!!  I'm just old enough to say, "Hey, let Mark do it".   You are on your way, don't be a stranger!

Thanks, brother! I'm definitely going to keep at this.

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

My music: Nick Marsella @ Reverbnation
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/13 15:16:06 (permalink)
    Right off, the guitars are very clear in my blown speakers. Nice guitar line and strumming. Nice tone, too. Those are vocals I'm hearing, right? They're not just you singing very loud? It's not very pronounced from my end. Imaginative lyrics.

Good reflective ending. It matched the song's mood. Good duration, too.

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Breathe" (First Attempt at Recording/One of the First Songs I've Ever Written) 2010/08/13 17:24:10 (permalink)
    peggysuechan

Right off, the guitars are very clear in my blown speakers. Nice guitar line and strumming. Nice tone, too. Those are vocals I'm hearing, right? They're not just you singing very loud? It's not very pronounced from my end. Imaginative lyrics.

Good reflective ending. It matched the song's mood. Good duration, too.

Thank you! And I think that may be just a problem on your end. The vocals may be a little quiet, but they definitely come through louder than you describe on my end. But thanks for the input!

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

My music: Nick Marsella @ Reverbnation
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1