Best sub $200 Mobile Audio Interface?

Author
fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
2010/08/09 15:09:41 (permalink)

Best sub $200 Mobile Audio Interface?

Not to beat an old horse but . . . I've got a laptop purchased through ADK I use for live recording with my MOTU 896HD through firewire (works great!).

I would like to purchase a small 2 preamp (XLR) interface for a simpler setup when needed - walking into the Sanctuary and laying down tracks from either the Yamaha grand (EW PianoMic System - stereo) or the Clavinova MIDI and/or Audio, Etc. recording into Sonar 8.5.3PE or Reaper.  MIDI would be nice and used but not necessary.

Concerns other than size and portability:
1. While I don't have need or plan to use both interfaces at the same time, are there any complications in using a USB device on a laptop that is setup to use Firewire?  In other words is Windows and Sonar smart enough to allow separate use without driver anomalies?
2. For Phantom power I've read that many USB powered devices cannot provide enough power for some condensers?

3. Preamp quality as I would like the ability to do some decent vocal tracking as well.

Any thoughts or insights appreciated!  I've been looking at the following:

E-Mu 0404 - $199
E-Mu Tracker Pre (no MIDI) - $149
Focusrite Saffire 6 - $199
Line Six Pod Studio (no MIDI) - $159

M-Audio Fast Track Pro - $199
Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2X2 (no MIDI) - $199
Tascam US144 MKII - $129
Tascam US122 MKII - $129
Alesis iO2 Express - $99
Presonus AudioBox (no MIDI) - $149
ART USB Dual Pre (no MIDI) - $79

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Best sub $200 Mobile Audio Interface? 2010/08/09 15:29:04 (permalink)
    Hi Wren!  see my comments below.

E-Mu 0404 - $199
    (I assume you mean EMU-0404USB - the EMU-0404 is a PCI card)  this is a pretty solid unit.  for your purpose I'd certainly consider it.
    E-Mu Tracker Pre (no MIDI) - $149 I don't know anything about this unit.
    Focusrite Saffire 6 - $199 this is a pretty solid unit as well, but some inexperienced users have trouble setting it up
    Line Six Pod Studio (no MIDI) - $159
    This is a good unit, but it's geared mainly toward guitarists.  I'd probably not consider it for your purpose since there are better options.
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro - $199 Another good unit.  there were some problems with these units and Vista drivers, so if you have vista I'd stay away from this one, otherwise it's good.
    Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2X2 (no MIDI) - $199 I don't know anything about this unit.
    Tascam US144 MKII - $129 Tascam = I don't recommend tascam to anyone.  others will disagree.
    Tascam US122 MKII - $129 Tascam = I don't recommend tascam to anyone.  others will disagree.
    Alesis iO2 Express - $99 these are cheap units.  'nuff said.
    Presonus AudioBox (no MIDI) - $149 a decent unit - it would stay in consideration.
    ART USB Dual Pre (no MIDI) - $79 these are cheap units.  'nuff said.

Concerns other than size and portability:
    1. While I don't have need or plan to use both interfaces at the same time, are there any complications in using a USB device on a laptop that is setup to use Firewire?  In other words is Windows and Sonar smart enough to allow separate use without driver anomalies?
    windows and sonar will allow you to choose whichever unit you wish.  if you have only one of them connected, then only one will be available to choose.  if you have both connected, then you'll need to choose the correct driver (even if using ASIO) that you want to use.
    2. For Phantom power I've read that many USB powered devices cannot provide enough power for some condensers?
    that is true.  if your condensor needs full 48VDC (not all of them need the full 48V) then you might want to consider adding a separate phantom power unit like the ART or Samson phantom power box for about $40-$50 more.
    3. Preamp quality as I would like the ability to do some decent vocal tracking as well.
    out of your choices above, I'd probably only consider focusrite, presonus and maybe the mackie for decent pres.

these are just my opinions - I have not personally tried all of the choices above, but have worked with people on the forums for getting them working and heard some of the pres.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    fwrend
    Re:Best sub $200 Mobile Audio Interface? 2010/08/09 15:44:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Reece - I knew I should've just called :-)

You've confirmed some thoughts I've had.  I'm probably leaning towards the Focusrite because of the pres but haven't read much about stability/compatibility with PC/Sonar.  I also had not heard anything about the Mackie but it came up in my search and since I've had success with Mackie would consider it but probably except for no MIDI.  I agree about the cheap units and can't even find what resolution the ART records at (probably only 16bit).

Perhaps we'll listen to the Focusrite when we check out AT's Portico.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Best sub $200 Mobile Audio Interface? 2010/08/09 16:01:14 (permalink)
    Guys, the Focusrite is the One - a preamp/DI.  You can add an AD to it, but it is $400 (on top of the Preamp).  But I'll be happy to bring it, too.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    fwrend
    Re:Best sub $200 Mobile Audio Interface? 2010/08/09 16:02:58 (permalink)
    Cool - thanks Alan!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1