Reducing final Mastered file size.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
reader1
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 605
Re:Reducing final Mastered file size. 2010/08/09 22:41:29 (permalink)
reader1

bitflipper

A 16/44 bit wave files downloads just as fast as an MP3.

Man, I want your internet connection!  

hehe, you are being cheated by him.
he didn't point out size, speed or media. (he might be confused at them)

a piece of cd might be 30M, but as same as size of many mp3, if you download 20 pieces of mp2, may take much time than that of 3 minutes of cd. 

post edited by reader1 - 2010/08/09 22:43:34
reader1
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 605
Re:Reducing final Mastered file size. 2010/08/09 23:12:00 (permalink)
johnnyV

Well I'd be interested to try the conversion software you are using. Last time I used FLAC a 30 MB waves became 26- 28 MB. That's a long ways off from 50%.
I'll agree with you second sentence 100%

check your wave file to see if it has been compressed before. flac indeed can compress cd file at least 1/2.

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Reducing final Mastered file size. 2010/08/10 12:25:35 (permalink)
Bit - did you do a null test on it? Would be interesting. How about a 256K?

The two won't null, because they are actually quite different on a sample-by-sample basis. But it turns out that two files need not be identical to sound identical! Our ears just aren't as good as we'd like to believe. But in terms of broader measurements such as phase, spectral and amplitude distribution, they were effectively identical. What differences could be measured were way below the threshold of audibility.

I intend to do some experiments with 256kb/s versus 320 and 192. Below 192kb/s you're into clearly audible quality compromises.

We saw this with our ongoing Star Trek orchestral shootout. A few entries sounded remarkably worse than others. I mean much worse, no golden ears required to hear the difference. Turned out that those folks, who just weren't in the habit of making MP3s every day, had inadvertently made 128kb/s files even though we allow and encourage 320kb/s entries for the contest. Even I was surprised by the contrast when heard alongside one another.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Shane_B.
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re:Reducing final Mastered file size. 2010/08/10 12:58:23 (permalink)
bitflipper

I also believe that a 320 MP3 is more than good enough for 90% of listeners

90% is too conservative. In a blind ABX, I'd be surprised if 1% could reliably identify which file was the 320kb/s MP3 and which was the 44.1/16 wave. When I did this test myself, not only could I not hear any difference, I could not objectively measure any difference either.

I know, it seems counterintuitive. I was reluctant to believe it myself. How is it even possible to remove 88% of the data and not tell the difference? Turns out we don't hear as much as we'd like to think.

Hi bitflipper,

Can you give some info on what type of stereo to choose when making an MP3. I see options for Joint-Stereo, Stereo, Variable Bit Rate etc ... What settings do you use? I use Sony Sound Forge 9.0 and set it to High Quality, 320kbs, Stereo.

*EDIT* ...

If you want to take for example a 96/24 master wav and make an MP3, is it ok to not dither and leave it as is or should it be dithered down to 44.1/16 first?

Shane

post edited by Shane_B. - 2010/08/10 13:02:10

jcatena
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re:Reducing final Mastered file size. 2010/08/10 14:20:43 (permalink)
Can you give some info on what type of stereo to choose when making an MP3. I see options for Joint-Stereo, Stereo, Variable Bit Rate etc ... What settings do you use? I use Sony Sound Forge 9.0 and set it to High Quality, 320kbs, Stereo.

You know what mono and stereo is. Joint-stereo consists in encoding as mono (the sum of the 2 stereo channels), and only what's different from a certain threshold is encoded as stereo. For low bit rates it usually improves perceived quality a bit while the stereo imaging is lost where it is not very obvious. If you want to avoid noticeable perceived quality losses, use stereo and 320kbps. 256 and even 196 kbps are also good. HQ VBR (variable bit rate) will result in the minimum bit rate for same perceived quality as 320kbps, depending on the material it will result in averages from 190 to 250 kbps.
Other compression algorithms provide better quality/compression ratios, the best one is AAC and is currently very widely used, since it was adopted by Apple iTunes. Most modern devices support AAC.
If what you want is lossless compression (bit accurate reconstruction after decoding), FLAC or APE are the best choices. FLAC has been some time around, APE is newer and is becoming very popular and supported by many devices, also used by iTunes.

> If you want to take for example a 96/24 master wav and make an MP3, is it ok to not dither and leave it as is or should it be dithered down to 44.1/16 first?

Most mp3 encoders only support 16 bit and 44k1 or 48k. But some applications will convert internally if necessary when you export an mp3. Anyway keep in mind that a sample rate conversion may add aliasing depending on the algorithm (a good one will not, but you want to be sure of that). Dithering with noise shaping should not be used prior to any processing including mp3 encoding. Dithering without noise shaping may be used, but it will not make a meaningful difference in the compressed output.

Jose Catena
DIGIWAVES, S.L.
Shane_B.
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re:Reducing final Mastered file size. 2010/08/13 12:40:54 (permalink)
jcatena

You know what mono and stereo is. Joint-stereo consists in encoding as mono (the sum of the 2 stereo channels), and only what's different from a certain threshold is encoded as stereo. For low bit rates it usually improves perceived quality a bit while the stereo imaging is lost where it is not very obvious. If you want to avoid noticeable perceived quality losses, use stereo and 320kbps. 256 and even 196 kbps are also good. HQ VBR (variable bit rate) will result in the minimum bit rate for same perceived quality as 320kbps, depending on the material it will result in averages from 190 to 250 kbps.
Other compression algorithms provide better quality/compression ratios, the best one is AAC and is currently very widely used, since it was adopted by Apple iTunes. Most modern devices support AAC.
If what you want is lossless compression (bit accurate reconstruction after decoding), FLAC or APE are the best choices. FLAC has been some time around, APE is newer and is becoming very popular and supported by many devices, also used by iTunes.

> If you want to take for example a 96/24 master wav and make an MP3, is it ok to not dither and leave it as is or should it be dithered down to 44.1/16 first?

Most mp3 encoders only support 16 bit and 44k1 or 48k. But some applications will convert internally if necessary when you export an mp3. Anyway keep in mind that a sample rate conversion may add aliasing depending on the algorithm (a good one will not, but you want to be sure of that). Dithering with noise shaping should not be used prior to any processing including mp3 encoding. Dithering without noise shaping may be used, but it will not make a meaningful difference in the compressed output.

Thanks jcatena. Sound Forge 9 must be converting internally without asking because all I've ever had to do is drag my 96/24 files in to SF9 and tell it to make an MP3. It nevers asks about converting. I always select 320/44,000/HiQ. I also use Format Factory to make MP3's. It's a free utility that's pretty amazing for being free.

Thanks again.

Shane

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1