Taxi: anybody using it, and how is it working for you?

Author
rbecker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 740
2010/08/09 16:05:18 (permalink)

Taxi: anybody using it, and how is it working for you?

Hello All-

I just searched to forums for any Taxi-related threads. I have read all the previous threads (e.g. Razor/MannyNY), but there have been no updated or new ones for quite a while, so I thought I would ask:....Anyone out there subscribe to Taxi, and how is it going?

I'm thinking of joining Taxi, and so am researching a bit.

BTW I initially posted this to the Songs forum, but had zero replies so thought I would try the Coffeehouse. Kind of a tough thread topic to pigeonhole.

Thanks much!

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
---
Sonar Platinum
HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
Windows 10
Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

8 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Taxi: anybody using it, and how is it working for you? 2010/08/09 20:48:09 (permalink)
    First... I listened to a few snippets of your music..... not bad.

Taxi can be a good place to gather info.  I approached taxi after having been listening and watching from the sidelines for a few years. I joined last year.... now just over a year with them. I attended the road rally and met a bunch of the screeners and a ton of my fellow passengers. Several ( I met and spoke at length with about half a dozen or more of the TAXI stars that you see in the ads)  that I met are making a full time income from music that has been forwarded by TAXI.  So it is possible to make connections in TAXI.

If your song is submitted to a listing, and it fits a very narrow and targeted goal, is broadcast quality, and the song is higher than the bar...which in todays music world is very, very high, It gets sent to the company or person who is in fact looking for music. You deal directly with them, TAXI is not a partner to the deal.

they basically prescreen music to eliminate the average to good songs and only send the superior songs to the listing..... this keeps TAXI in good standing as a source for high quality music with the industry.

If your song is country, it gets screened by folk that know country music and not some guy that listens to jazz or rock....and vice versa.

If you decide to join.... give it a firm 5 year minimum commitment to stick with it. Nothing generally happens in the first few years. You have to develop and inprove your writing style. You have a lot to learn, so use the resources available and grow as a writer. I have had multiple returns from TAXI.....

Just because TAXI returns it doesn't mean someone else won't sign it.... these same songs that they returned have been signed into about a dozen other libraries. I have more submitted..... the thing is you never know what song will be the ONE, that gets forwarded, signed, and ends up in a film or on a TV show, or an artist's CD.

Also the TAXI returns generally come back with professional critiques. I find these very handy to improve my writing skills. To have someone else look at and listen to the song and tell me from a professional's point of view what is wrong with the song is priceless. It's one thing to have a song critiqued in the songs forum here by my buddies in CAKE, and another thing totally to have a professional listen to it and tell you what is wrong and what is right with it.

Look at the Taxi roster... all of the above happens, but....you have to be prepared, with the right song..... not just any song but a hit song.

It's the guys and gals that come in and think they have a natural talent and their songs are perfect and they don't need to change, the industry needs to recognize they're stars waiting to be discovered......... well, these are the ones that burn out fast when they are told their music needs improvement. They are not ready to have a full look at reality and do the work needed to get better to have their music fit into the needs of the music buyers and not the other way around. They whine about how TAXI is unfair, uneducated, and simply can not see the opportunity that is right before them..... and sadly, these people never learn and never succeed in the business of music.

Sure... you need some ego, but couple that with determination, and a willingness to learn and improve, and TAXI might be able to help your music career.

And like they like to say about the lottery, you can't win it if you ain't in it.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/09 20:54:08

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rbecker
    Re:Taxi: anybody using it, and how is it working for you? 2010/08/09 21:47:24 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker-

Thank you for one of the most well thought-out and even assessments of Taxi I have seen. I think I am going to give it a shot. At worst it is a few hundred bucks down the tubes, but that just means I will need to give up my weekly lotto ticket. And also thank you for the compliment on my tunes. I try.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Taxi: anybody using it, and how is it working for you? 2010/08/09 22:04:36 (permalink)
    The whole key is to stay on track, motivated and writing...... not always easy. The road rally is a must do for all members. It gives you a behind the scenes view of the group of people you have decided to associate with.

BMI/NSAI

Soundtrapper
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Taxi: anybody using it, and how is it working for you? 2010/08/09 22:41:22 (permalink)
    I was in a Taxi once in Juarez Mexico.
    That taught me everything I needed to know about taxi's....and Mexico.

Guitarhacker
    Re:Taxi: anybody using it, and how is it working for you? 2010/08/10 08:29:02 (permalink)
    rbecker

Guitarhacker-

Thank you for one of the most well thought-out and even assessments of Taxi I have seen. I think I am going to give it a shot. At worst it is a few hundred bucks down the tubes, but that just means I will need to give up my weekly lotto ticket. And also thank you for the compliment on my tunes. I try.

If you learn something that improves your writing skills, it's not money down the tubes, it's an investment even if you never place a song with a library..... the satisfaction that comes from simply writing a better song for yourself is worth it too.

BMI/NSAI

rbecker
    Re:Taxi: anybody using it, and how is it working for you? 2010/08/10 09:47:20 (permalink)
    Soundtrapper

I was in a Taxi once in Juarez Mexico.
    That taught me everything I needed to know about taxi's....and Mexico.

At least you are here to tell about it!

There are quite a few musicians who claim they have been "Taken for a ride" by the Taxi of the thread topic, too.

There seem to be a couple distinct camps: Those who say Taxi is okay and worth a try, and then those who are quite adamant that Taxi is a total waste of money. Guitarhacker has served to reinforce the opinion I have formed after reading quite a few critiques on Taxi. Time to try it and see what happens!

RJB -Vernon Corv 

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10
    Soundtrapper
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Taxi: anybody using it, and how is it working for you? 2010/08/10 10:39:55 (permalink)
    "a willingness to learn and improve"-Herb

RJB I think that is the heart of it.
    What cha got to lose? A few dollars and they still print those.

I hope it goes great for you.
    And you're right! It was a ride I haven't forgotten.

Sonar 8.5.3
    Win 7 64 bit

Soundtrapper at Mixposure 

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Taxi: anybody using it, and how is it working for you? 2010/08/10 14:24:28 (permalink)
    It's one thing to have a song critiqued in the songs forum here by my buddies in CAKE, and another thing totally to have a professional listen to it and tell you what is wrong and what is right with it.

+1.798839249274084027427532973409
    (or is it?)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1