I'm In Hawg Heaven...

Author
EasTexGuy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
2010/08/09 23:45:42 (permalink)

I'm In Hawg Heaven...

...and you might guess from Texas. Hi Beagle. Just a chip toss from you here... Shelby county... well, 180 odd miles East, but in Texas thatsa short piece.

People, I could write you a book on the ways and means I've used to record music & song over the years. Mid 50's here now. Married for 32 yrs to a lady with a pretty voice. I chord a little guitar from time to time, but I've always been fascinated with the production side of things. The wife loves to sing with tracks. She ('we' at times) sings contemporary gospel, and traditional as well. I've recorded her with our rather nice equipment at church and it's been good enough for the membership, etc. Now with a 15 month old grand daughter we've started thinking about something serious for posterity.

On 7-30-10 while shopping in Staples for some supplies I came across a single copy of Music Creator 5 on the bottom shelf in their software section. I've been too deep into computers for way too long, but never considered this software had advanced so far. (First 'computer'(?) was a Radio Shack Color Computer II with a massive 2k ram! Lord, if i'd just invested in Microsoft back in 84-85 when I first heard of them and they were tradin' on the market! ^_^ <<sigh>>)) After a quick scan of the box I decided to buy MC5. What the heck... $39.95. If it was a lemon, it could go on the shelf with the many others gathering dust.

Today 8-9-10 and several MC5 recorded songs later, I received my copy of SONAR Home Studio 7 XL.  <<does the wave>> Really folks! Can life get any better?! This has got to be the best thing since granny got her first can of Sweet Garrett snuff. Bought a new piggy bank, change goin' in toward bigger-n-better at some point. For now, I'm going after the Sonitus Suite and we're going to master SHS first.

I do have a couple of questions and advice is always welcome. 1) M-Audio FT Pro or UA-25EX? 2) Is there a real benefit to having a MIDI Keyboard for a controller? (I don't 'play' the piano, but am at home on the keys as far as chording and a few notes in between) 3) I own the USB version AKG Perception 120 mic. Works great for vox on/thru the pc, but not gonna work with an interface. Does anyone know if a USB->XLR converter/adapter is available?

One Happy Hawg,
ETG

3 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:I'm In Hawg Heaven... 2010/08/10 08:41:29 (permalink)
    ETG - you are not an "Old Coot" as your profile name says.  If you are that makes me a "Junior Old Coot" and that's just not happenin'!!!

Radio Shack Color Computer II  = CoCo II!  My friend had one of those and he had a sound module on it that we used to type dirty words into so that the computer would say them!  my first computer was a Commodore Vic-20 (which I still have!) and a Sinclair ZX-80 (before Timex bought Sinclair).

1) M-Audio FT Pro or UA-25EX?
    either of those are good interfaces.  which operating system are you using?  if VISTA, then I'd stay away from m-audio.  they had problems with vista drivers. 

2) Is there a real benefit to having a MIDI Keyboard for a controller? (I don't 'play' the piano, but am at home on the keys as far as chording and a few notes in between)
    that just depends on you and how you work.  if you think you'd use it then it's beneficial!  you can use them for adding strings or horns or piano parts, keyboard parts, organ, or even drums (I don't use mine for adding drums because it's not intuitive to me, but others do).

3) I own the USB version AKG Perception 120 mic. Works great for vox on/thru the pc, but not gonna work with an interface. Does anyone know if a USB->XLR converter/adapter is available?
    no, that won't be available.  there's maybe one model of USB mics out there that you can detach the usb connector and add an XLR connector instead, but I don't even remember which one that is.  the reason I don't is because I never recommend USB mics.  they are problematic especially because they are by nature a 2nd soundcard and even when you get them to work with sonar, then when you start to record longer takes you'll notice your tracks will drift out of sync with each other.  that's because when you use 2 different soundcards which are not sync'd by a common clock then they will not be in time together and will cause your tracks to become out of sync with each other.

I recommend selling that on craigslist or ebay and buying you a "real mic" - I have a few recommendations of mics on my website.

when you get some stuff recorded post it on the songs forum for feedback!  I'd love to hear some of it!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Daylaa
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:I'm In Hawg Heaven... 2010/08/10 11:31:07 (permalink)
    EasTexGuy

Can life get any better?! This has got to be the best thing since granny got her first can of Sweet Garrett snuff.
    +1001021021200804

Sonar X3 Producer
    Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192
    M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
    https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:I'm In Hawg Heaven... 2010/08/14 00:27:38 (permalink)
    The granddaughter may play the keyboard one day if you don't.  Or maybe some other grandchild/nephew/neice. 

I'd buy it. Somebody in your family will grow into it if you have one for them to grow into.

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1