How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars?

Author
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
2010/08/10 07:41:53 (permalink)

How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars?

I'm trying to acheive the sound of Slashes guitar in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmWoASCTqsA

Check out 00:20 where the verse starts and Slash is pumping with a right hand mute on the low strings.  There is a ton of bass on his guitar.  Seems to be more low end than the bass guitar itself.

Usually I'll roll off the lows of everything except the Bass and Kick.  But if I do that to this kind of "pumping" crunch guitar I lose that "meat".  I'm still rolling off the lows, but the point at which I do (maybe 90khz) is so low I might as well leave the EQ wide open down there?

What would you do?

15 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/10 08:32:43 (permalink)
    guitartrek

I'm trying to acheive the sound of Slashes guitar in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmWoASCTqsA

Check out 00:20 where the verse starts and Slash is pumping with a right hand mute on the low strings.  There is a ton of bass on his guitar.  Seems to be more low end than the bass guitar itself.

Usually I'll roll off the lows of everything except the Bass and Kick.  But if I do that to this kind of "pumping" crunch guitar I lose that "meat".  I'm still rolling off the lows, but the point at which I do (maybe 90khz) is so low I might as well leave the EQ wide open down there?

What would you do?

Don't low cut as much as you might have... sometimes the guitar part does go deep into the bass region.

best regards,
    mike

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/10 11:28:18 (permalink)
    It doesn't hurt that the bass guitar is also pumping away on that palm mute.

Palm mutes typically tend to move a lot of air, so they seem pretty bassy.

As Mike said, you just have to adjust your HPF so that you're getting enough of the low-end-push without getting too muddy.

Some gentle compression will also help the pump a bit.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/10 13:10:56 (permalink)
    there's no real reason to roll off anything on your guitar track.

make sure your capture, is exactly as you want it to be.
    (nothing boomy, clean tight low end).

anything below about 75hz on guitar, is usually a combination of thump and mud.

in a mix, i'll high pass at 70hz, and i'll hear nothing go away, unless i'm monitoring with subs, and since almost no one i know, listens to final mixes thru systems with subs, i think i'm ok.

i mean, ultimately, you're trying to mix for the lowest common denominator, correct?

the most systems?

consumer speakers, typically can't produce 40 - 80hz anyway.....
    they boost 80-160 to give the appearance of low end, even tho the real meat is clearly an octave below.

so...........

maybe, tweaking the low end of the guitar around 130-140hz will give more OOMPH than boosting at, say, 80hz, which on my vintage boogie, is where the bottom eq on my 5-band eq sits.....

but what you push thru a speaker (will a guitar cab speaker actually reproduce much lower than 55hz anyway?) in ways of the amp head, is different than what gets translated into the mic.....

big experiment, eh?
    i'm still looking for my sweet spots.....

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/10 16:05:38 (permalink)
    I'd say the key question is how you EQ your bass and kick so that they give room for the guitar.

If you HP the guitar at 75 Hz, I'd  cut some of the bass guitar  at the same frequency and upwards ("subtle LP").

If the kick drum is boomy, it needs to be tightened, too.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/10 16:35:30 (permalink)
    I don't usually record this kind of guitar.... although I sure do like to play that kind of driving guitar....

If you HP the guitar to eliminate the mud, the kick and bass should easily compensate and fit nicely into that space in the sound mix.

On stage you have (generally) quite a few speakers that are moving air and that makes it easy to do live.... then trying to capture it on HD is the trick.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    guitartrek
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/10 19:39:03 (permalink)
    Thanks you for all the feedback.  Here is my song that has this same type of pumping.  I changed the hpf to 70hz.  The pumping starts at about 00:24.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7107710

I wish I could get Slash's sound...I just can't seem to acheive the pumping dynamics of Slash.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/11 00:50:44 (permalink)
    For me sometimes more low end pump means notching/carving some lower mids . 

Not the standard  rookie scoop.............but some precise notching.
    Try recording your guitar how you like it...........

Then throw a parametric in the bin............

Set a band with a Q of 10-16............

Use a negative gain of around -6db, during playback sweep thru...125-400. 

Maybe do this with a couple of bands.....roller coaster type.

Play with the gain and Q a little bit......this can help reduce the woofy mids......

And allow for more low end definition..........

I have had some luck with this......

-6-12db notch @ 250-350............

With another.....

-4db notch around 160

Then I'll throw a very narrow bump(Q12) +2-4db @65-70

Good luck man...I've listened to your stuff .....you'll get there......your good.

guitartrek
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/11 08:11:18 (permalink)
    zungle - thanks for the advice I'll give it a try.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/11 08:56:47 (permalink)
    I have tried on numerous occasions to duplicate the sounds of various guitar tones on records and CD.... and I must say I have come close, but I can never seem to get it exact. Amps, speakers, guitars, settings, mics...all contribute to the recorded sound......

The most recent one I tried to duplicate is the guitar player from Kenny Chesney's band. My wife is a big Chesney fan, and often plays his CD's in the car..... I'm not so much a fan but I was taken by this guys playing style and tone on one of the solo's....... I even grabbed the CD and ripped it to my MP3 player...and imported it into a track in my DAW to try to simulate that tone..... so far... I have not even come close. It's a rainy day project for me......

Back in the day, a bunch of the albums had liner notes on the equipment used...and guitar player magazine would often cover the artist and go into details on the equipment and even settings.....

now days I mostly don't try to copy a sound..... I go for the sound that I like and will work in a given song situation, and I am content with that when the result is pleasing to me.

my 2 centavos

BMI/NSAI

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/11 09:07:55 (permalink)
    My first thought about Slash's tone is that it is often times coming from a big amp and a big amp cab.

If you want a deep low growl you need a great speaker system.

A few days ago I was swapping out power tubes in a amp and listening to the tone change... at some point I started mixing and matching speakers.

When I hooked up this little old amp to a "bass" cabinet (a JBL D-130 in a sealed cabinet) the bass level started shaking stuff... I had to roll off the bass to get it under control. I was sort of surprised to learn that amp had it in it but is so often hooked up to a open back "guitar" speaker that I never knew how much bass was available should  the amp be hooked up to a cabinet that can make it happen.

... Just some erata that may prove helpful.

best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/11 10:02:30 (permalink)
    Mike ...what you say is truth.

I also had a couple of closed back 4x12 cabinets.... and yeah, the speakers used, and the cabinet style makes a huge difference in the tone and the EQ adjustments needed for low end response.

In addition, to that, the more speakers you use, the more air you are moving and the low end becomes much more evident accordingly.

BMI/NSAI

Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/28 08:26:08 (permalink)
    It's unlikely that the high pass is affecting much since this is just a C# at about 140Hz. Usually these chugging notes are quite narrowly focused and it should show up in an analyser quite blatantly.

Listening to your recording, and without knowing what chain you're using, I'd advise pulling the amp gain down a bit, which helps to increase the dynamics. You can compensate for undergained guitars by layering more of them, but make sure you play quite tight. Also it's common to use overdrive before the amp distortion as well - I never record guitars without a tubescreamer-style pedal or emulation before the amp distortion. That can help with some crunch (but also tends to reduce the bottom end too - try it and see).

EDIT: I see you have a Line6 Pod X3- do you have the Metal Shop add-on? (Actually, that might be built into the X3, I dunno.) Les Paul bridge humbucker > Screamer OD > L6 Big Bottom Amp > Green 25 or Treadplate > 57 On Axis would be a decent starting point if you're not there already.
    post edited by Kylotan - 2010/08/28 09:24:10
    guitartrek
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/31 20:27:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Kylotan.  I am using POD Farm2 exclusively, and do have all the metal shop amps.  I have traditionally not used any pedals and go straight into the amp.  With POD Farm2 I can now go into one of their preamps at the end of the chain, like the Neve and that seems to focus and tighten the signal.  I'll give your suggestion of the tube screamer a try. 

I've come to realize that Slash example is quite unique.  The sound is amazing, but if I compare to Nickleback, which I also love, the production of the Nickleback crunch guitars don't have that super tight low end of Slash.  I can come closer to the Nickleback sound than that Slash example.
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/31 21:12:27 (permalink)
    To be honest I think you're quite close with your current approach. If anything the main thing for me is that your rhythm tracks aren't loud enough by comparison to the rest of the mix. You don't have much competition for the low mids frequency area so you may as well give those guitars some prominence (in my opinion - not trying to tell you how to mix your song).

Another thing to try is that a lot of metal productions use a single band on a multi-band compressor on those guitars for those palm-mute frequencies, eg. 140-180Hz, with the threshold set to drop a few dB just on palm-mutes but to generally not touch chords or lead playing. That tightens things up and gives you more headroom to play with, if that's any help.
    guitartrek
    Re:How do you EQ your heavy "crunch" guitars? 2010/08/31 21:35:14 (permalink)
    I did raise the crunch parts which was a lot louder than before.  I had them too loud at one point where the vocals were getting messed up and the lead solo was getting lost so I dropped them down a tad to where they are now.  But it was in the higher frequencies where the masking was occurring.  Maybe raising the low mids will accomplish what you are saying without affecting the other parts.

That's interesting what you are saying about the multi-band compressor.  It makes sense.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1