The Muse: Feast or Famine?

Author
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
2010/08/10 12:27:46 (permalink)

The Muse: Feast or Famine?

I've just seen Shad's post in a similar vein talking about having a hard time coming up with stuff which made me think a bit.

I'd lost any interest in trying to write music or lyrics over a year ago after some adjustment of my medication threw me into a wild spin, much of the time since then I've just been getting more deeply into the technical mechanics of making things happen with my DAW, like learning mixing and mastering techniques, patching, routing and sound design that kind of stuff. 

For me I don't see much point in trying write or perform when it ain't happening as it just leads to frustration, I've been playing long enough to know when it ain't happening and I'm in a comfortable position now where I don't have to turn up for a gig at x time and date, so I do tend to just break out into this secondary 'non-creative' type of learning or technique development instead, (sometimes even perhaps I will idle away my time here) as it is a vast subject and there is plenty of ground to cover if one wants to delve more deeply in all the aspects of music creation owning a DAW gives.

Over the last few weeks though my creative urge has returned from nowhere, pretty much every noise I'm hearing just now has potential for a tune or a rhythm and I'm sketching out little melodies, lyrics and progressions like there is no tomorrow, now I'm starting to think how am I ever gonna knock all this stuff into any kind of shape.

This has been compounded by the fact, that in some fit of pique I encouraged my partner have a go at singing on one of my songs, now all I can hear from that direction is her practising some vocal phrase or nagging me to do some more recording while I'm in the middle of trying to get something else down.  I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as there is so much music going on at Chez Bouy just now it is a joy,  and all the swatting up I've been doing is paying off in that I can get stuff committed into some usable form in very short order compared to a year ago.

What gets me though is why no middle ground?  It literally does seem to be either feast or famine.

(or is it?)
post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/08/10 12:39:25

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy

6 Replies Related Threads

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:The Muse: Feast or Famine? 2010/08/10 14:07:04 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

Over the last few weeks though my creative urge has returned from nowhere, pretty much every noise I'm hearing just now has potential for a tune or a rhythm and I'm sketching out little melodies, lyrics and progressions like there is no tomorrow, now I'm starting to think how am I ever gonna knock all this stuff into any kind of shape.
    Well, for one thing stop wasting so much time hanging out here!  

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:The Muse: Feast or Famine? 2010/08/10 14:16:06 (permalink)

But this is where my fuel comes from...... honest...... really!.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:The Muse: Feast or Famine? 2010/08/10 14:19:57 (permalink)
    her practising some vocal phrase or nagging me

The only thing she's got on me is she practices.

Soundtrapper
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:The Muse: Feast or Famine? 2010/08/10 15:02:56 (permalink)
    Things have changed for us.

I use to practice guitar parts. I didn't know to do anything else
    and there were others to do them anyway.

I have experienced the same thing without a known reason. I take no medication
    nor have anything I can believe causes the creative downturn.

But taking advantage of the time and learning about other interests
    is cool by me. One needs time to reflect and grow I think.

So maybe it's just perspective? Feast and famine work good together?
    I think so.

Sonar 8.5.3
    Win 7 64 bit

Soundtrapper at Mixposure 

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:The Muse: Feast or Famine? 2010/08/10 16:03:59 (permalink)
    I'm sorta like that too.  Sometimes the music just isn't there.  Rare, but it happens.  More often, there are 4-5 waiting to get recorded.  And if I sit down at the piano and just play, there would be several more.  That sometimes keep me from just sitting and playing, actually.  lol

I have 3 songs with lyrics ready to go now (I've got the words and tune ready).  Now if only I could sing half decent I'd get them done. 

Well, time would help. 
    And a DAW that would cooperate at all times would help too.
    And not having anyone fuss to me to do things besides work in my studio...I guess that would help too.

But that's all. 
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:The Muse: Feast or Famine? 2010/08/10 17:32:22 (permalink)
    Hi,

I know you's over there on the other side of the pond ... but you have an open invitation to come to the "Triangle Lake" ... check it out on the map and hit the aerial shot ... in Oregon.

A night of two in that place cures you of all the monkeeing crap in one's brain ... fast! ... and you can have some fun jumping in the water, or fishing for the little fish to eat for breakfast, like the kids do!

And if you get bored, we can take turns trying to get up on water skis! I would invite the rest of the CHB, but London seems to be more popular ... though certainly not as restful!

I'm of the opinion that the main reason why we get stuck, it is because we're duplicating ourselves too much and we're bored ... and the only way to get off that camel is to go do something else ... and stop for a while and ...

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1