usb versus firewire interfaces??

Author
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
2010/08/10 18:44:55 (permalink)

usb versus firewire interfaces??

Hi - So far on my second usb interface. Just curious what are really the differences / advantages of a firewire interface versus usb (not asking about any certain brand) ??

Thanks

13 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/10 23:19:55 (permalink)
    Well, the biggest difference is that you are future proofed for longer.  Firewire seems to be dying on newer computers, while USB 3 seems to becoming standard on-board.

Firewire and USB 1 both came out about the same time, but FW had a much greater bandwidth.  USB 1 could only do stereo i/o.  So most companies went with FW, which had some other technical advantages.  With USB 2 bandwidth was about the same, and as computers got faster they could easily handle the slighter overhead USB needed.  It is only within the past couple of years that USB drivers caught up with FW, which had a head start.

If you are planning on keeping your interface for a couple of years and upgrading computers during that time, USB is probably the better bet as integrated FW disappears as do PCI slots.  You'll have to buy a FW PCIe card.

That being said, I bought a FW interface last year.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/10 23:58:20 (permalink)
    AT

Well, the biggest difference is that you are future proofed for longer.  Firewire seems to be dying on newer computers, while USB 3 seems to becoming standard on-board.

Firewire and USB 1 both came out about the same time, but FW had a much greater bandwidth.  USB 1 could only do stereo i/o.  So most companies went with FW, which had some other technical advantages.  With USB 2 bandwidth was about the same, and as computers got faster they could easily handle the slighter overhead USB needed.  It is only within the past couple of years that USB drivers caught up with FW, which had a head start.

If you are planning on keeping your interface for a couple of years and upgrading computers during that time, USB is probably the better bet as integrated FW disappears as do PCI slots.  You'll have to buy a FW PCIe card.

That being said, I bought a FW interface last year.

@

I agree. Unless you have the cash for a RME Fireface 800 and need that kind of quality USB is the way to go now. Computers are fast enough so the USB overhead is not even noticed. 
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/11 00:22:38 (permalink)
    Hi - So far on my second usb interface. Just curious what are really the differences / advantages of a firewire interface versus usb (not asking about any certain brand) ??

There are good choices in both USB and Firewire units.
    IOW, you'll achieve the same low round-trip latency performance with the best USB and Firewire units.
    Keep in mind that there are currently just a couple of USB 2.0 units that deliver this level of performance
    • RME Fireface UC
    • M-Audio FastTrack Ultra/8R
    As has been mentioned, these are a totally new breed of USB audio interface.

You'll have broader compatibility with a good USB 2.0 interface.  (No worries about having a TI chipset FW controller).
    That said, I think that Firewire will still be around for a good while.
    Use a good TI chipset FW controller with one of the better FW audio interfaces... and you're set.

Make good choices... and you'll be happy either way.
    Keep in mind that if you need lots of I/O, there are no USB units that have as many I/O ports as the Fireface 800.
    ie:  A pair of Fireface 800 units delivers over 48 channels of I/O.  If you need loads of I/O, your only options are PCI/e or Firewire.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/11 08:39:05 (permalink)
    jim - and anyone else:  what do you think about the MOTU Ultralite MKIII Hybrid?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/11 09:10:51 (permalink)
    I have also heard that FW is going to fade over time and USB will emerge as the interface of choice.

I have a FW interface and like it, but if I was buying today, I would stay with the USB connection.

When I bought my FW.... 2.5 yrs ago.... the FW had a number of advantages over the USB which IIRC was at USB1 and USB2 was just starting to appear..... now we have USB3 becoming more common and it's now better than FW........

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/11 10:12:40 (permalink)
    yes, but there are no USB3 soundcard devices on the market yet.

not only that, but I predict that FW will still be available for a long time, even if you have to buy a bus conversion card (i.e. PCI or PCIe to FW or cardbus to FW).  there are too many peripherals out there which still require connectivity.  even if the market dries up for NEW FW devices, the old ones still have to be supported for quite a while.

Jim Roseberry
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/11 10:23:28 (permalink)
    yes, but there are no USB3 soundcard devices on the market yet. not only that, but I predict that FW will still be available for a long time, even if you have to buy a bus conversion card (i.e. PCI or PCIe to FW or cardbus to FW). there are too many peripherals out there which still require connectivity. even if the market dries up for NEW FW devices, the old ones still have to be supported for quite a while.

The Ultralite mkIII Hybrid is a good piece.
    The only knock you can give it is that it doesn't deliver the absolute lowest Round Trip Latency
    Just a couple of ms higher than the best FW and USB units.
    If having the lowest possible RTL isn't necessary (for your needs/workflow), the Ultralite mkIII Hybrid would be a good choice.

At that particular price point, you can get the FastTrack Ultra 8R.
    It's not 'hybrid'... but offers a whole lot of bang for the buck... and delivers 5.5ms RTL at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Beagle
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/11 10:42:24 (permalink)
    thanks.  for my current workflow I don't use low latency - I monitor externally even when recording MIDI.  I'm intrigued by the portability of the Hybrid system with its ability to be connected to USB or FW.

but I'll look at the fasttrack ultra 8r as well.  thanks for the advice!

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/11 10:45:52 (permalink)
    When is the Lynx Aurora 16 going to go USB?

timboe
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/16 09:21:28 (permalink)
    RME FireFaceUC  [ USB 2 ]

- @ 48 Sample Buffer =  ~ 5.0ms  real-world-loop-back RTL Latency
    - @ 64 Sample Buffer =  ~ 5.8ms  real-world-loop-back RTL Latency
    - 32 Sample Safety Buffer only on the output [ 0.7ms ]
    - unit is not fully bus powered

RME FireFace FW  [ Firewire ]

- Does not do a 48 Sample Buffer
    - @ 64 Sample Buffer =  ~ 6.5ms  real-world-loop-back RTL Latency
    - 64 Sample Safety Buffer only on the output [ 1.5ms ]
    - unit is fully bus-powered

In summary:-

- the UC does everything the FW does, but at lower latency
    - USB is everywhere
    - CPU load will be  *slighltly*  higher with the UC, but with even a remotley modern PC  [ > 2009 ]  this is a non-issue and quite frankly, immeasurably miniscule anyway
    - the UC's Safety Buffer is only  32 Samples in size - thats only  0.7ms [ total ]  ie:  at any given setting when compared to the fastest  PCI / PCI-e interfaces, the UC is no more that 0.7ms slower - thats just astounding

Unless you absolutley %100 must have a bus powered unit, it is a total no-brainer* - the UC is the way to go.

Tim
    * - assuming of course the FW / UC  have all the I/O you need
    Storm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 808
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/16 13:45:38 (permalink)
    Don't forget there is a Firewire 800 spec now which is what all the new Macs have by default versus the older FW400. The spec is still being improved. PC makers are going the cheaper route though. So, while USB is catching up to FW in speeds, FW is still improving too. But PC hardware isn't keeping up. Its going to be awhile before USB 3 interfaces come out.
    post edited by Storm - 2010/08/16 13:47:20
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/16 17:17:00 (permalink)
    Storm

Don't forget there is a Firewire 800 spec now which is what all the new Macs have by default versus the older FW400. The spec is still being improved. PC makers are going the cheaper route though. So, while USB is catching up to FW in speeds, FW is still improving too. But PC hardware isn't keeping up. Its going to be awhile before USB 3 interfaces come out.

Firewire's architecture was built for speed. It's a shame PC vendors have abandoned the platform. 

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:usb versus firewire interfaces?? 2010/08/16 17:30:42 (permalink)
    It's a shame PC vendors have abandoned the platform

Laptop vendors have abandoned TI chipset Firewire...
    But the platform itself is very much alive.
    You can go to any well-stocked computer store and buy motherboards with TI Firewire... as well as dediated PCI/e controllers that use a TI chipset.

Low RTL USB audio interfaces are a great option...
    But that doesn't negate the thousands and thousands of FW peripherals that are readily available... and still working great.

In the end, if you make good choices... you'll be happy either way.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1